Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midband speedtest Megaathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Try one of these, works great for me,
    http://www.commsoft.ie/shop/3gn.php

Cheers Mick, I already got sorted out with this router, TP-Link TL-MR3220 150MBPS Wireless Lite N 3G Router, got it for £21.99. Works great, I'm getting 5 bars reception downstairs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-MR3220-150MBPS-Wireless-Router/dp/B0043GWGV8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1305652394&sr=8-2

Why when he already has one of these....

The Dovardo is good but you can pick those TP-Link routers up for well under half the price just seen on brand new at less than 40euro delivered on eBay.

I paid £21.99 for the TP-Link and £46.33 for the Zoom 3G Wireless-N Desktop Router. Haven't tried the Zoom yet as I'm getting great speeds, an average of 10mb/s download and 2.5mb/s upload, with the TP-Link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

DonJose wrote: »
    Cheers Mick, I already got sorted out with this router, TP-Link TL-MR3220 150MBPS Wireless Lite N 3G Router, got it for £21.99. Works great, I'm getting 5 bars reception downstairs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-MR3220-150MBPS-Wireless-Router/dp/B0043GWGV8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1305652394&sr=8-2

Should have read through the previous page:o
    Works great when find a good reception spot in the house, stable download and upload speeds:)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

I just got this speed - pretty poor, but not unusual where I am.

1301231353.png

One thing I was wondering - at the start of the test where it pings the servers, it shows a rough guess of where my position is. However, this varies from putting me near dublin, or near limerick. I am physically in Tipperary - so is the fact that this estimated location changes, related to my mobile broadband picking up different cell towers - with different oned 'registered' to different 3 servers, with different locations?

I find it strange at least..and may be an indicator that my modem is randomly picking a poorer cell tower than it should be...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Long suffering 3 user. Using Meteor for a day, with a SIM I had lying around, mooching a Day Pass to test the connection.

Struggling to get 10KB/sec with Three all day, up to midnight.

Meteor below. Exact same location and window as the Three dongle.

Meteor - Huawei E182E

1322555099.png

Not too shabby, very responsive, I don't have to wait between web pages..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

1328564164.png

I'm consistently getting speeds of 3mb + and most of the time I'm getting higher.

Will probably change to a proper 3g modem/router in the next couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭long_b

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Should have read through the previous page:o
    Works great when find a good reception spot in the house, stable download and upload speeds:)

Do these yokes actually "improve" the signal strength on comparison to just using a dongle on a long USB lead ? Like would you get a more stable signal ?

Check out the ping - is this what satellite is like ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

long_b wrote: »

Looks to be double what I'd expect. Add in 400ms the trip up to the Sat then another 400ms for the return trip then add in normal internet latency and iirc 800-1200ms would be considered normal.

EDIT> BUT YOU DON'T HAVE SATELLITE, thats a Meteor 3G speedtest and no thats not normal but not uncommon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

long_b wrote: »

Try test to a differant server that ping is terrible!

• Advertisement

No choice on the mobile app I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Just look at this f***ing crap from three, congestion now lasts all bloody day from midday onwards, its now 1.25am in the morning and this is what I get

1331362874.png

1331366419.png

1331367075.png

1331368428.png

Going to cancel my direct debit asap and they can shove their termination fees where the sun doesnt shine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

LaVail wrote: »
    Just look at this f***ing crap from three, congestion now lasts all bloody day from midday onwards, its now 1.25am in the morning and this is what I get

Going to cancel my direct debit asap and they can shove their termination fees where the sun doesnt shine!

Thats the reason I won't sign up and stick with he more expensive 3PAY but your worst speedtests are what I'm getting at best now, previously (about a month back) I was getting about a Megbit per sec now I consider 0.5 good. During the day 0.1 is getting common when previous worsts were 0.4-0.5 ping has also shot up.

The worst thing is that this now goes on into the night and there is little or no improvement at 3am when things used to speed up.

What sort of idiots sell more than they've got and piss off their customers? Unless 3 has massive plans for network expansion this year, new masts, not just mast upgrades, they are going to get such a bad name they will be in real trouble.

Thats the reason I won't sign up and stick with he more expensive 3PAY but your worst speedtests are what I'm getting at best now, previously (about a month back) I was getting about a Megbit per sec now I consider 0.5 good. During the day 0.1 is getting common when previous worsts were 0.4-0.5 ping has also shot up.

The worst thing is that this now goes on into the night and there is little or no improvement at 3am when things used to speed up.

What sort of idiots sell more than they've got and piss off their customers? Unless 3 has massive plans for network expansion this year, new masts, not just mast upgrades, they are going to get such a bad name they will be in real trouble.

Its a disgrace.. I get the same 0.1mbps in the evening time, I have to leave my computer for a few hours between 7.30pm and at 1am because its unusable, Thats why I was like an anti christ when I posted last night, it was well after 1am and still no improvement. Its getting to the point now where I cant use the internet during the day OR during the night and its only going to get worse with all the new iphone users and new users signing up to their 60GB package. They are just throwing customers into a service thats already overcrowded.

Im being told for months that "they are working on it" but the reality is that if there was going to be an improvement then it would have happened already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Got meteor mobile broadband because I was moving to Wicklow for 3 months. Chose meteor because they have excellent 3g coverage in the area and they have a billpay contract €20 for 20Gb with a 1 month contract. So far, very happy with what I'm getting.

1332667710.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

they extended the deal on the iphone for 40 quid also, thats probably not helping the already congested network in any way whatsoever

I seem to be doing ok with my 3 connection compared to some of the results here :(

In saying that, its absolutely appauling now.. this is probably the worst result ive ever gotten from a speedtest and I have done a lot

1332807598.png

Im also 100% finishing with 3 when the contract is up! meteor works great here

Meteor Mullingar, still solid a month on.

1333650138.png

1333650138.png

Their great speeds for a midband network :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

1333650138.png

That's just unreal.

What modem/router are you using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Shane732 wrote: »
    That's just unreal.

Looks like a 21mb hspa+ modem or router in a 21mb hspa+ area :P i wants lol

Shane732 wrote: »
    That's just unreal.

I'm using the E182 dongle (cellotaped to an upstairs window pointing at the nearest mast) and a TP-Link TL-MR3220 150MBPS Wireless Lite N 3G Router, excellent value at around £25 delivered.

31fruN0iVcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0043GWGV8/ref=oss_product

not too bad for o2!:pac::pac: 1335399539.png

1335573850.png

1335575076.png

1335565468.png

Decent stuff today - hope it holds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

tp link routers = fantastic, id love to try the 3g one, great routers...

had about 2mb this evening and at this time its about 3mb or so... im content with my connection once its over 1-2mb tbh, anything over that is a bonus to me rly

1336013881.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

My speeds this evening,

1337113052.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

1349425876.png

South-east Cork city.

Got the "broadband" router from 3, matching my old meteor dongle do far.

I'm happy enough with this, as I got it for the 60gb allowance (7.5 gb on my meteor).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭trellheim

Bath Avenue, Dublin 4. You would think it would be better.

1351513681.png

1351980547.png

Good in the evenings still - however the afternoon for the last 2 weeks has been fairly conjested wtih max speeds of around 2.1mb and a worst of 0.7mbs. There must be some new subscribers in the area

Typical of the technology - anyone using the HSPA+ services around the country? Would love to see some speedtests with some context in regards to possible contention and subsequent performance please :)

• Advertisement

1351980547.png

Good in the evenings still - however the afternoon for the last 2 weeks has been fairly conjested wtih max speeds of around 2.1mb and a worst of 0.7mbs. There must be some new subscribers in the area

Typical of the technology - anyone using the HSPA+ services around the country? Would love to see some speedtests with some context in regards to possible contention and subsequent performance please :)

lol your worst speeds when congested are the same as my best obtainable speeds at 3am-8am

Here is my speed now at 11.20pm and congestion has eased from earlier, still a joke

1352001293.png

Im on HSDPA though and sometimes it wont leave 3G which is a disaster. Three admit there are far too many latched on to the same mast as me but refuse to do anything about it saying "you'll just have to put up with it" I hate them with a passion.

*edit* what part of the country are you in dave if you dont mind me asking?

Advertisement