Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midband speedtest Megaathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

LaVail wrote: »
    lol your worst speeds when congested are the same as my best obtainable speeds at 3am-8am

Here is my speed now at 11.20pm and congestion has eased from earlier, still a joke

1352001293.png

Im on HSDPA though and sometimes it wont leave 3G which is a disaster. Three admit there are far too many latched on to the same mast as me but refuse to do anything about it saying "you'll just have to put up with it" I hate them with a passion.

*edit* what part of the country are you in dave if you dont mind me asking?

Near Arklow - rural area just outside NBS territory. Sounds like three wont do anything to upgrade the site for ye. Have ye got the modem in the best place signal wise? HSDPA is very limiting but it does have a max speed of 3.6mb so ye should be seeing at least 1mb on it but 3g/wcdma shouldnt even be used for internet it is that bad in terms of speed and latency...Have you any options besides Three?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Near Arklow - rural area just outside NBS territory. Sounds like three wont do anything to upgrade the site for ye. Have ye got the modem in the best place signal wise? HSDPA is very limiting but it does have a max speed of 3.6mb so ye should be seeing at least 1mb on it but 3g/wcdma shouldnt even be used for internet it is that bad in terms of speed and latency...Have you any options besides Three?

Down in north kerry myself.

Have the dongle up on the window sill facing the mast which is only 1km away from my house and have a direct line of sight to it. Three are basically telling me lies for the past year and their latest line is "Oh by the end of 2011 you should be able to get 500kbps no problem" I just didnt know what to say to him when he said that so I said you're joking right! Its fairly annoying when I see other users around the country with far far better speeds and little problems when the area is congested. Im not begrudging of those with a better service but it pisses me off a bit when I get 60kbps and am paying the same as the guy who gets 4Mbps.

Im looking to get out of my contract with three at the moment and hopefully Ill sign up to permanet or somebody similar which seems to be good now in my area.

Waiting two weeks now for a reply from the three reps on here so I cant really do anything until they get back to me.

Congrats on the speed by the way, hope it stays that way for you in that part of the country.

Have the dongle up on the window sill facing the mast which is only 1km away from my house and have a direct line of sight to it. Three are basically telling me lies for the past year and their latest line is "Oh by the end of 2011 you should be able to get 500kbps no problem" I just didnt know what to say to him when he said that so I said you're joking right! Its fairly annoying when I see other users around the country with far far better speeds and little problems when the area is congested. Im not begrudging of those with a better service but it pisses me off a bit when I get 60kbps and am paying the same as the guy who gets 4Mbps.

Im looking to get out of my contract with three at the moment and hopefully Ill sign up to permanet or somebody similar which seems to be good now in my area.

Waiting two weeks now for a reply from the three reps on here so I cant really do anything until they get back to me.

Congrats on the speed by the way, hope it stays that way for you in that part of the country.

Its ok - I cant complain except during the day time when ye never know what ye get. Well 3g technology is problematic. i remember watty giving me a detailed explaination on why 3g shouldnt be sold as a internet solution. Conjestion is hard to predict and signal can be effected by weather. You have a near direct line of sight there and only 1km between you and basestation and it still seems rubbish. Too many users coupled with cell shrinkage doesnt help either. Im sorry to hear that it has failed to work for you :(

Theres so many issues with 3g tech that it is hard to pin point the issue from a consumer perspective especially which only adds to the frustration of it all :(

You are not alone though...too many people are experiencing the same as you and its wrong on how they market it as a replacement for proper fixed line services and to market it as up to 7.2 or 14.4 as some are now is the ultimate insult. It all stinks of severe lack of regulation either way.

- sorry I used 3g as a overall reference to the whole technology (WDMA/3g, HSDPA, HSPA and HSPA+)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭kevmol88

hi i am also in north kerry-i am 6 km from nearest mast according to three-my download speeds vary between 2 and 4Mbps-I use Opera browser which is a lot faster on mobile broadband than Internet Explorer in my experience

not too bad

• Advertisement

kevmol88 wrote: »
    hi i am also in north kerry-i am 6 km from nearest mast according to three-my download speeds vary between 2 and 4Mbps-I use Opera browser which is a lot faster on mobile broadband than Internet Explorer in my experience
    not too bad

How do you find using opera? I have it installed too but rarely use it because I find google chrome to be the fastest, even faster than firefox's latest version.
    I only have explorer installed when doing system updates because I cant update using any other browser. Explorer will always lag behind the others when it comes to speed.

Nice speeds you're getting too from three, they are a disaster in my area but I cant do much about that im afraid.

By the way when using speedtest.net you can get a link to post on a forum so you dont have to use print screen/screenshot

84300587.png

37838243.png

68362080.png

When you have clicked on "copy" just come here and write your post and right click and paste where ever you want your seedtest to appear on the forum.

How do you find using opera? I have it installed too but rarely use it because I find google chrome to be the fastest, even faster than firefox's latest version.
    I only have explorer installed when doing system updates because I cant update using any other browser. Explorer will always lag behind the others when it comes to speed.

Nice speeds you're getting too from three, they are a disaster in my area but I cant do much about that im afraid.

By the way when using speedtest.net you can get a link to post on a forum so you dont have to use print screen/screenshot

84300587.png

37838243.png

68362080.png

When you have clicked on "copy" just come here and write your post and right click and paste where ever you want your seedtest to appear on the forum.

Cheers for that-couldn't figure it out-I find OPERA to be the best browser-Faster than CHROME -I have broadband dongle (e122) attached to usb cable hanging from ceiling facing window-I have seen speed nearing 4.5 on some mornings-Check out the TURBO feature in OPERA for slow connections

1353339006.png

Cheers for that-couldn't figure it out-I find OPERA to be the best browser-Faster than CHROME -I have broadband dongle (e122) attached to usb cable hanging from ceiling facing window-I have seen speed nearing 4.5 on some mornings-Check out the TURBO feature in OPERA for slow connections

No worries.

I heard of the turbo function a couple of years back but didnt think it would make much of a difference, will try it out this evening and see how it goes :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan 10

This is the Speed I am getting this evening

1353555096.png

Stan

• Advertisement

This wet morning

1354033695.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Schorpio

1355106485.png

It's pretty consistent too after 3 or so weeks, so can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

1356478011.png

test of just mobile data over vodafones network not great can hit over 6Mb/s on meteor during the day and over 7Mb/s at night find them to be the best in this area for consistancy o2 are not too bad either three has became overcontended lately with alot more users signing up so they have slowed down alot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

This is a fu*king joke - for some reason the best connection I can get seems to have dropped to an EDGE connection.

Its so bad that I can't even do a speed test because I'd die of boredom!

Any suggestions on what might be wrong?

I just to get 3-4mb from the exact same location within the last two weeks.

I use the connection as a secondary connection to download stuff off itunes etc...

It was working very well (I was able to download 500 kb/s) down it's sh*t.

Any suggestions....

If this keeps up they can f*ck their contract - they'll be taking the thing back.

Shane732 wrote: »
    This is a fu*king joke - for some reason the best connection I can get seems to have dropped to an EDGE connection.

Its so bad that I can't even do a speed test because I'd die of boredom!

Any suggestions on what might be wrong?

I just to get 3-4mb from the exact same location within the last two weeks.

I use the connection as a secondary connection to download stuff off itunes etc...

It was working very well (I was able to download 500 kb/s) down it's sh*t.

Any suggestions....

If this keeps up they can f*ck their contract - they'll be taking the thing back.

Sounds like contention or the cell itself has crapped itself :( nowt for it except for ringing up and complaining :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Normally getting over 6 MBS on download but its not bad.

1357949687.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

1358206068.png

that ping is amazing for midband
    :)

download speeds used to br alot faster network was stuck on 3G all night no HSPA at all til a couple of minutes ago,.

very bad yesterday-a crawl-some improvement today

1358317181.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

1358527661.png

Meteor still kicking ass, I ordered a high gain antenna from dealextreme, it'll be interesting to see if I can even better download speeds.

• Advertisement

DonJose wrote: »
    1358527661.png

Meteor still kicking ass, I ordered a high gain antenna from dealextreme, it'll be interesting to see if I can even better download speeds.

Don - you said that you have your wireless Meteor modem sellotaped to the window - how do keep it charged?

Any chance of giving us the link for the high gain you ordered?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Shane I'm using the E182 dongle connected by USB cable to the following router,

31fruN0iVcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amalgam posted the following thread about high gain antennas,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056295137

I didn't buy any of the antennas listed, I bought the following higher gain antenna which might or might not work because of the frequency, if it doesn't work I can always use it as my router aerial/antenna, then buy a 3g antenna.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-4ghz-15-18dbi-directional-high-gain-13-unit-antenna-for-wifi-wireless-network-n-female-25292

The Meteor connection isn't working too badly tonight!

677412743.png

lol i wish!!

1359092249.png

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭onzlo

:)
    1360250739.png

1362202752.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Ping not bad today with vodafone,

1364791622.png

1366082246.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭YouTalkinToMe

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭wildrover444

hi thinking of getting in 3s mifi broadband for the 60gb download limit but hearing bad things bout there consistency. my wife got an iphone with 3 lately and read somewhere that doing a speedtest thru the iphone would give me an indication of how strong 3 would be in my area. when i do a speedtest thru iphone i am not even getting 1mb speeds. would the speeds i am getting with speedtest with iphone be the same if i got 3 broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

hi thinking of getting in 3s mifi broadband for the 60gb download limit but hearing bad things bout there consistency. my wife got an iphone with 3 lately and read somewhere that doing a speedtest thru the iphone would give me an indication of how strong 3 would be in my area. when i do a speedtest thru iphone i am not even getting 1mb speeds. would the speeds i am getting with speedtest with iphone be the same if i got 3 broadband.

Well you said it, consistency is the problem. Keep doing your speed tests during the day (and as late and early as you can) and see how the speed is at peak times compared with off peak. Shouldn't be much difference with an iPhone or a dongle.

Advertisement