Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midband speedtest Megaathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

1408941952.png

Suprising.. really.

Still have time out through Outlook Office.

Only noticed now the Three Megathreaaaaaaaaaaaaad has been moved.. and locked. Ho hum, good ol' boards.ie. Happy out.

As consumers, we don't need to be 'kettled'. Three have been anything but open handed about their midband service for the last two or three years.

The above test is just a blip, usually the service is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Take_Her_Handy

@Ren2k7, I'm moving soon enough! But still think I'll have to be covered by 3 and I'll be 1.2 miles further away from my mast than I currently am! :rolleyes:

1409033984.png

@William Powell there's the proof of your pudding! 10.45am Sat morn and all the kiddies off on summer holidays are still in bed! And that = Good speeds!
    As for gaming, well for me its the 6-11 heavy usage window i cant game, other than that I can kill, race decimate all I want!
    Now; I'm moving to a different area, same mast 1.2miles further away than i am! But the previous owner has their Arial on a pole! About 35ft high and the land isn't low lying. I was thinkin my coiler repeater that i currently have 35ft high (I've worked out which direction the mast is, thanks Google Earth) mite be fairly good! And not too many people in the area! But same mast so prob be just the same as here! Moving from a Village with about 300 houses around me and all with 3! But if I wire the inside station to behind me telly and get the 3 WiFi router that has Ethernet and directly connect it to the PS3, that should be me sorted! What you think?

@ 11.42am And as they all wake up and clog my network! The frustration begins!

1409085040.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

@Take_Her_Handy, thats just the same way my speed tests have gone, peak times with 3 just forget it, but fine in the morning. Was usable all day (not great but useable for browsing) up untill a couple of months into the All You Can Eat Data promotion, thats what killed it for me. Still 3 is the only provider I can get a connection with so stuck with them and of course the backup ISDN connection which is 100% more reliable not very fast but at least allows me to do the browsing I want.

Not sure about your plans with the WiFi router, at the end of the day you can't beat contention, maybe you can make it so you are less affected by getting a good strong signal but sooner or later as the users log on your speeds will get badly hit or killed altogther.

Yea, dats wat I tout! Ah well, here's hoping mirecals can happen! I'm gonna give it a lash due to satellite being my only other option! LAG LAG LAG F'in LAG! Ah well! Here's to being a bogger! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

Was torrenting last night in the wee hours of 3AM and managed to get speeds roughly 800kbps. Really good, compared to my current avg of 50kbps. Again it's all about the contention ratio. I don't believe 3 advertises its CR but I'd wager it's far higher than other ISPs.

Yea, got that a couple of times at them hours, just shows the capabilities if it wasn't so crowded! I wonder what being nocturnal is like :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

Ren2k7 wrote: »
    Was torrenting last night in the wee hours of 3AM and managed to get speeds roughly 800kbps. Really good, compared to my current avg of 50kbps. Again it's all about the contention ratio. I don't believe 3 advertises its CR but I'd wager it's far higher than other ISPs.

The only contention ratio disinformation that 3 publish afaik is for the nbs and there is no way they can keep to it.

Once you get down to 50kbps essentially the cell is full, I had that for a while and could still browse and post here just about OK, next step when 3 sign up a few more users in your area is that you won't be able to connect at all. Now I have about 6 hours in the day when 3 Mobile Broadband is virtually unusable.

Just look what the "tidy" moderation has done around here, its moved and locked the old Three Megathreaaaaaaaaaaaaad and now the Midband speedtest Megaathread has starting to look just like it.

Seems that when people get crap service they don't necessarliy want to talk to reps that can't help them so why can't they have one thread to rant in, its still easy enough to point anyone with a rep solvable issue over to the PM the 3 reps forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭leemurta

1412090366.png

This is on 3 broadband the DL speed is normally about 3mbs and upload about what is shown above, ping around 60-80;)

Your not too far away from Dublin so! Must have a mast close enough and not a hell of alot users pulling off it! Happy for you :mad:

• Advertisement

1412397703.png
    Another test but I think the DL should still be a bit higher.

1412647774.png !GIT! :p

Slower than 90% of Ireland, nice, Do you live in a cave by any chance?:D
    Not to make you feel bad but....
    1413515701.png

1413539055.png Here in Galway now! Oh how i wish I lived here! No man, I live in a village where 3's da only option! Feckin cave'd prob be better, less chance of congestion :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

leemurta wrote: »
    Slower than 90% of Ireland, nice, Do you live in a cave by any chance?:D
    1413515701.png

1413541672.png

DonJose wrote: »

1413541672.png

pfft, who needs it that quick. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭kevmol88

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

1415206599.png

Much better generally, peak times are a pain but otherwise it's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

And the three torture continues.

1417425877.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Speeds not great this evening.

1417460096.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

kevmol88 wrote: »

We wont see LTE here until maybe 2013 i think. This is from memory so foirgive me if I am wrong - I think watty said that the auction of all spectrum is been held up with the finalisation of Saorveiw and the existing free spectrum plus the newly freed up spectrum from Analogue Switch Off wont be carved up until after ASO....Ill have to recheck into this but I think that is the problem here :(

1420649975.png AAARRRGGGHHH!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

1421853227.png

Fairly good result :D:D

now contention hits in the early night :(

1422034398.png

1422115798.png

1422126788.png

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Block G Raptor

I 've had Meteor BBTG for over a year and whilst its never been great it was usable however for the last month or so I've been getting 0.03mbps on the blue light.I'm in the Blanchardstown area can anyone explain what the hell is going on

I 've had Meteor BBTG for over a year and whilst its never been great it was usable however for the last month or so I've been getting 0.03mbps on the blue light.I'm in the Blanchardstown area can anyone explain what the hell is going on

Have you contacted Meteor at all to ask if there is problems in Blanchardstown with their network?

Is it constantly slow like late at night and early in the day time?
    If its faster at these times it may be contention in your area eg. too many people signed upto the Meteor broadband lately!

1425638585.png

Upload seems alot slower than usual will test tomorrow when other people are using the network will see how slow it goes:P:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

Oh the pain of Meteor in Clontarf !

1426237956.png

And a minute or 2 later

1426247648.png

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Block G Raptor

jay93 wrote: »
    Have you contacted Meteor at all to ask if there is problems in Blanchardstown with their network?

Is it constantly slow like late at night and early in the day time?
    If its faster at these times it may be contention in your area eg. too many people signed upto the Meteor broadband lately!

I dont think Contention is the problem as its the same 24/7

• Advertisement

1426632011.png

45051197.png

Terribly slow today seems like three's all you can eat data on pre pay is crippling the network!

Advertisement