Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midband speedtest Megaathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭funnyname

in dublin 2 tonight and got this speed using my samsung galaxy phone

1633569412.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

1647000956.png

getting outa hand lately the old internet... still I have 5 bars of signal and this has been going on quite a bit lately, I know weather is a factor but it's taking the piss

3 is probably also getting raped with every jimbo jones constantly transferring data over their lovely smartphones :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

1647098045.png
    This is the best I've been getting at this time for the past few weeks, fine before 19:00 and back to fine after 23:00/23:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

1649317129.png

Bit more reasonable tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭leemurta

1649838462.png

1650979449.png

You can see the times I tested on the pictures,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

1650671921.png
    Pings a tad high but I don't really mind.

Test again in 2ish hours for peak speeds.

Second test.
    1650943698.png

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ubuntulinux

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Merry Christmas Folks - :D May as well do a speed test while I am browsing the net. Never seen my upload speed so high lol :P

1667394539.png

1667396753.png

Have a great one folks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Not to bad at all upload is well good :D

1681018105.png

1681020844.png

• Advertisement

1681069810.png

sligthly better now we shall see how slow it goes during peak times tomorrow :)

Download Speed: 14722 kbps (1840.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 1904 kbps (238 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 59 ms
    Wed Jan 04 2012 02:50:49 GMT+0000 (GMT Standard Time)

Above test done on Three network again highest i've ever seen !!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Schorpio

1707747667.png

1733189786.png

Condi wrote: »

Router or MiFi?

1736700767.png

how does the Huawei E1820 compare to the e122 may i ask?

http://shop.three.ie/catalogue/products/view/huawei-e1820-black/50303/T010019 is the modem im looking at - is it any good with this router?

do you do any gaming on that connection may i ask?

if i was to get the e1820 with it - id need this Zoom models 4501 and 4506 require firmware revision 1.0.6/1.0.4 or later - so is it easy to apply firmware updates to this router?

Thank you for all the info :) Gonna cost a fair amount to get this stuff in - between the router and the modem it will be over 100 euro - ouchie :( shall see if its worth the price tho - might get the modem first and test it out to see if i get the speeds garenteed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 alasdair606

1742507406.png

your all lucky this is what i get in the sticks of co longford? ment to be a nbs area?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭delito

1742507406.png

your all lucky this is what i get in the sticks of co longford? ment to be a nbs area?
    They are contracted to provide:

Min (at cell edge) 1.6Mbps
    Max (at cell centre) 6.8Mbps
    Maximum contention ratio 22:1

Under the NBS contract, 3 is required to deliver guaranteed service standards with respect to product speeds, contention ratio, customer interface, wholesale service, reporting and marketing.
    http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Communications/Communications+Development/National+Broadband+Scheme/NBS+FAQs.htm

Yea that's what I was told . I'm going to try and find out if a repeater will help or see if they have any kind of antenna for the roof?

Yea that's what I was told . I'm going to try and find out if a repeater will help or see if they have any kind of antenna for the roof?

If your signal is good and speed/ping is low a repeater will be of no benefit, congestion would be the more likely problem.

delito wrote: »
    If your signal is good and speed/ping is low a repeater will be of no benefit, congestion would be the more likely problem.

Repeaters are problematic anyways - they basically act as a closed router - it repeats the 3g signal that it recieves so that your modem can then access the signal the repeater is recieving from its location. in theory its a ok idea but i found it to be utter rubbish - i got disconnects and it stuck on wcdma AKA basic 3g which was aweful. I found that the b260a router worked a hell of a lot better with a few tweaks mind you :P .

However it all depends on what your best signal is in your house (took me a while to find but it was alot easier with the router) and the contention ratio is in your area. Another failing of 3g technology is that the actual cell range/signal shrinks more and more when the number of users increase on that cell :(

ye should get the repeater for free anyways so try it out anyways :)

1743532384.png

Repeaters are problematic anyways - they basically act as a closed router - it repeats the 3g signal that it recieves so that your modem can then access the signal the repeater is recieving from its location. in theory its a ok idea but i found it to be utter rubbish - i got disconnects and it stuck on wcdma AKA basic 3g which was aweful. I found that the b260a router worked a hell of a lot better with a few tweaks mind you :P .

However it all depends on what your best signal is in your house (took me a while to find but it was alot easier with the router) and the contention ratio is in your area. Another failing of 3g technology is that the actual cell range/signal shrinks more and more when the number of users increase on that cell :(

ye should get the repeater for free anyways so try it out anyways :)

1743532384.png

Think of a repeater as a mirror bouncing light into your room, it wont make the light it gets any brighter than it already is, it just deflects, but like you said thats the theory and not always the case (if ever :p)

The b260 truely is a better alternative to the dongles, mifi units and even the repeaters. Add something like this is if you really want a constant full signal if you dont already get it with a b260 that is or just to boost your wifi signal around the house.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12DBi-3G-antenna-HUAWEI-broadband-routers-CRC9-Plug-/300439843450?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item45f39c327a

Yea I do think it's congestion because where my mifi modem sits on my window it has full bars . I love the idea of the b260a but it's max 7.2 meg and I'm assuming three will be doing upgrades and stuff so I don't want to be limited . My wifi works well in the morning I would be getting 3-4 meg ad very high upload and low ping . In the evenings my upload is always fast than my download . It sits at 2 meg where my download would be around .5 meg and less. I might just go in to my local three store ( I don't realy deal with India at all to much work ) where the guy in three is really help full and ask him about the b260a and the repeater . If not I am actually finished my contract ( I had one year of good service then it just got slowly worse ) anyway I'm going to look at www.lastmile.ie which is ripplecom in my area ? They would seem to be better being a fixed wireless service? ........ God I miss my UPC .... I had 25 meg up in Dublin ... :( also what do u use walkerdave? Cause that a unreall connection! Look at the ping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭trevortronics

My 2 networks today:

1744303053.png

Thats a Huawei E1820 via a Edimax 6200nlite

1744315175.png

This is a Huawei E353 via a Dovado 4GR

Yea I do think it's congestion because where my mifi modem sits on my window it has full bars . I love the idea of the b260a but it's max 7.2 meg and I'm assuming three will be doing upgrades and stuff so I don't want to be limited . My wifi works well in the morning I would be getting 3-4 meg ad very high upload and low ping . In the evenings my upload is always fast than my download . It sits at 2 meg where my download would be around .5 meg and less. I might just go in to my local three store ( I don't realy deal with India at all to much work ) where the guy in three is really help full and ask him about the b260a and the repeater . If not I am actually finished my contract ( I had one year of good service then it just got slowly worse ) anyway I'm going to look at www.lastmile.ie which is ripplecom in my area ? They would seem to be better being a fixed wireless service? ........ God I miss my UPC .... I had 25 meg up in Dublin ... :( also what do u use walkerdave? Cause that a unreall connection! Look at the ping!

5 bars of HSPA on a b260a router - it was during off peak that was :P but this is my usual peak time speed betwen 3 and 4 mb but tonight its a bit contended :(

1745506677.png

• Advertisement

1745724027.png

mine tonight at what should be a uncongested time? its crasy....... im going to look at the b260a before i get a repeater .

Advertisement