Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midband speedtest Megaathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Schorpio

1745748496.png

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Macronelf

1745848208.png

Gotta love Imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

1745981599.png

:D:D:D

1745724027.png

mine tonight at what should be a uncongested time? its crasy....... im going to look at the b260a before i get a repeater .

Its all about finding that sweet spot in your house that has the best signal and best speeds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 alasdair606

1746437465.png

same spot as last night?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭trevortronics

1746443886.png

Cant complain at this on the NBS :)
    Rural Longford , over wifi , E1820 via a Edimax 36-6200nlite

What part of Longford? I'm in the abbeyshrule area?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Repeaters are problematic anyways - they basically act as a closed router - it repeats the 3g signal that it recieves so that your modem can then access the signal the repeater is recieving from its location. in theory its a ok idea but i found it to be utter rubbish - i got disconnects and it stuck on wcdma AKA basic 3g which was aweful. I found that the b260a router worked a hell of a lot better with a few tweaks mind you :P .

However it all depends on what your best signal is in your house (took me a while to find but it was alot easier with the router) and the contention ratio is in your area. Another failing of 3g technology is that the actual cell range/signal shrinks more and more when the number of users increase on that cell :(

ye should get the repeater for free anyways so try it out anyways :)

1743532384.png

Just out of interest what modem are you using to get that sort of upload speeds over 3Mb/s :cool:

We're practically neighbours, I'm in Carrickboy.

What modem are you using ?

Macronelf wrote: »
    1745848208.png

Gotta love Imagine.

Imagine are useless for that time of night it shouldn't be that slow even 3G networks are faster than that!

• Advertisement

I'm using the first mifi the E5830 . It's almost two years old? I think I'll try out the E1820 and that router looks like a good connection!

Yes the E1820 is perhaps the best modem out there. I bought an unlocked one off ebay for about €35 I think it was. If you want to get the max out of its abilities dont get the same router (Edimax 3g-6200n) though as its not HSPA+ capable.

I am awaiting a Billion Bipac 6200 NXL which is HSPA+ capable and will post up results hopefully later today.

Just got a call from ripplecom saying there upgrading the area might wait and see what that's like ? Might just get a E1820 anyway to see what it's like !

Me as well. I will be interested in seeing what their upgraded package contains when the Ardagh transmitter is done in a couple of weeks.
    A lot of bad comment about them on the boards, but I'll probably still give them a go.

Friend of mine on Lastmile which is just ripplecom has had it for the last year or two he lives in ballynacargy has had a consitant speed of over a meg and a half but he was paying buisness packages so I wasn't sure I would get that on home packs . If they update ardagh to there 8mb I will go for them cause I have line of sight to the tower from my third floor window.

If Ardagh is your nearest too, then I think at that distance that'll they would probably be your best bet.

I'm gonna ring the nice sales lady back to find out when The upgrades will be finished ? She says I can't order anything at the moment so I don't think it will be to long?

Hoping it'll be upgraded to more than just 8mb. With 3 and O2 both expanding their HSPA+ networks they will need to look at offering more.

Well for me having a fixed wireless connection would be better. with three for me it's up and down like a yo yo and I have 71 % hspa signal at the moment and it's just not fast and consitant enough? But it's great when I go away like up to Dublin and stuff ? I take the train a lot and it's great there !

Think if you're getting that strong a signal it'd be well worth you trying out a HSPA+ modem. Might want to see if you can get an upgrade out of 3.

I got a freebie HSPA+ upgrade out of O2 for my other network recently (an E353)

I have found using up to date dongles have helped my speeds enormously.

• Advertisement

Yea one neighbour has the new mifi which is hspa+ so might nick it for a night !

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Macronelf

jay93 wrote: »
    Imagine are useless for that time of night it shouldn't be that slow even 3G networks are faster than that!

This is it right now

1746999305.png

:pac:

Has it ever gone faster than 0.35Mb/s before :eek:
    What speeds are you paying imagine for thats just useless i can only imagine how slow it must be!:(

1747187196.png

^
    My Eircom connection holds at 7Mb no matter what time of day :P
    I've seen people with imagine WiMax that were on the 10Mb package and it always downloads at over 9Mb/s this is in Ashbourne Meath tough.!

1752430704.png

By far the worst day ive had with this network in over a year - highest I got today was 2.1 mb and that didnt last for more than 5 minutes. I got the 2.1mb on a modem stick - e1820 with 2 bars while my router recieving 5 bars of HSPA didnt even get above 1mb. altecny has been 40ms+ over the norms :(

Uploads are always decent tho - god I wish I had access to UPC :mad: Where is this NETCO labour promised - so much for a fibre ireland

1752569522.png

:mad::mad::mad:

1752569522.png

Hows your connection since is it still slowing to the above speed?

Just done a test on eMobile tethered to my phone the phone does have a upload speed limit of 500kbps which isnt great it does support 7Mb/s on the download tough!

1764906706.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

between 7pm untill 10 pm each day it drops to 0.6mb/s but in morning hours or during the day its very good. my wife is happy with it atm

1774080049.png

jay93 wrote: »
    1752569522.png

Hows your connection since is it still slowing to the above speed?

Just done a test on eMobile tethered to my phone the phone does have a upload speed limit of 500kbps which isnt great it does support 7Mb/s on the download tough!

1764906706.png

Has stabilized since....b260a: 2 to 4 mb during peak hours and 4.5-6 mb off peak so i cant complain.

1775968591.png

hspa+ modem picked up slightly better speeds in off peak hours 6-8.5 mb so i cant complain

1775973843.png

Note that im in a rural area and this means very few users - these speeds seem to be more of the exception rather than the rule when it comes to usually crappy midband products

1775982114.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

my new 3 e586 mifi dongle

solid ping !!

1776231546.png

today morning superb

1778415810.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

Just for the hell of it (literally!!)

http://speedtest.net/result/1785753392.png

Advertisement