Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midband speedtest Megaathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

jay93 wrote: »
    Finally you have been hit with the Meteor 3G problem expect it to continue and never be fixed i had this exact issue in my own area and surrounding areas Meteor's network is sinking bad i have been talking to alot on Meteor and they are still having the same problems that i had when i signed up with the a few months back.

before with Meteor i would get 7-8Mb/s and nearly 4Mb/s on upload whatever has happened i then got a max of around 2Mb/s even during the night and the service would stop working full stop in the evening cannot load page etc conn timed out ....

I did find a small work around for PC's but i couldn't get it to work with the sim in my phone ...i noticed the problem was Meteor's DNS servers if i changed them to google or open dns it worked at full speed and i could actually get pages to load.

To me something is messed up in their own DNS server and has been on going for months i suggested this solution to other Meteor users and it worked for them.

If you already use alternate DNS already then something else must be the problem.

Finally some optimism! :pac:

Managed to move the router to get 3 bars and it's improved a bit

2080540133.png
    2080640867.png

I used to get 5 bars and only 3 now, which seems to mirror the results a bit, it's a teeny bit off the speed it used to be but the signal is also a small bit off

The dongles beside the router do slightly better so I think it's just the router itself having a bit of a laugh... But I won't fully ever know since it's constantly changing

How does one go about changing the DNS servers!? it's the broadband sim im using here and don't mind messing about with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

-=al=- wrote: »
    How does one go about changing the DNS servers!? it's the broadband sim im using here and don't mind messing about with it

You needn't change anything on the router. Its your browser that needs the DNS lookup info so if you put the DNS server address(s) on the network cards tcp/ip properties page the local computer does the look up directly itself rather than asking the router to do it for it. So because you are not asking the router you don't need to change anything there.

Nice little walk through for changing your DNS server settings on a Windows 7 PC http://thetechiebro.blogspot.ie/2011/12/changing-your-dns-server-address.html .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Yeah it changes between HSPA/HSDPA and WCDMA all the time but it's just not receiving signal as well as the last router I think

I went up on the roof with the lappy where it is beside the chimney and done loads of speedtests with 2 dongles and it was more normal speeds (3-4 down/2 up 50ms ping) with the same sim and network... the dongles even had 3/4 bars each of 3g So all I can take from that really is it doesn't seem to be anything to do with the signal meteor is sending out from its magical masts

The old router on the roof would get 5 bars constantly, yet this one barely gets 2 in the same location... Think it's time to try an external antenna and see if it's any use! Even indoors the signal is the same

Frustrating.com

also

annoying.net

also

BLOODYIRELANDANDITSCRAPPYINTERNETNONSENSE.ORG

Antenna's with a SMA-Male connector anyone?

Any issues with the site at the mo? 3g tech as i have stated before is always unstable and subject to contention and resultant cell shrinkage :( A few new users in close to the cell can cause untold problems...also do you have the router configured exactly the same as the previous one? what router do ye have and can you select a manual network mode search using different frequency bands like 2100 mhz for example to see if you get a better result of a particular band?

2082477069.png

It's improved a bit the last few days

2082591572.png

Much more manageable... I don't know if the extra bit of signal is doing it's thang or just the way the service is around these parts now but it seems that it's about 2/5th's off of what it used to be with 2/5th's the signal missing, if that makes sense... maybe it's the difference, maybe it's not but hey, I'm not as pissed off about it!

but still a few short of what it was and not always getting 4/5 bars of sig... but get's a consistant 3 at least now.

Ye.p the settings are pretty much the same on it afaik bar the xbox doesn't having ports forwarded... All the main devices have a static IP and as far as I know it's set up the same... Maybe there's a few things I can change on the router like the frequency or something to optimise the service, but there is a few settings I'm not 100% sure of on it though.. but the set ups the same

I shall try the aforementioned ideas now and see what happens :)

Not sure if there is ideal "PPP" settings on the router or clip settings?

It's improved a bit the last few days

2082591572.png

Much more manageable... I don't know if the extra bit of signal is doing it's thang or just the way the service is around these parts now but it seems that it's about 2/5th's off of what it used to be with 2/5th's the signal missing, if that makes sense... maybe it's the difference, maybe it's not but hey, I'm not as pissed off about it!

but still a few short of what it was and not always getting 4/5 bars of sig... but get's a consistant 3 at least now.

Ye.p the settings are pretty much the same on it afaik bar the xbox doesn't having ports forwarded... All the main devices have a static IP and as far as I know it's set up the same... Maybe there's a few things I can change on the router like the frequency or something to optimise the service, but there is a few settings I'm not 100% sure of on it though.. but the set ups the same

I shall try the aforementioned ideas now and see what happens :)

Not sure if there is ideal "PPP" settings on the router or clip settings?

well when it comes to PAP or CHAP settings PAP works best and is recommended for meteor :) I use PAP for three as well and it works well for the most part. I have always used DTMF for clip settings - no matter what network it is.

My meteor settings are:

Clip settings:
    DTMF

PPP settings:
    Connection - Manual
    Authentication - PAP only
    Max idle Time - 600
    MTU(B) - 150
    Max Dial Time - 120

Note: you can create a .bat file to ping a site continuously using 32bits of packet data per second (its ultra light on usage) in order to keep your connection alive and on HSPA instead of WCDMA - not guaranteed to work always. Or you can do the same thing by type the following using my site address as an example into command prompt:
    ping www.mythen.ie -t

Profile settings:
    Dial up number - *99#
    Username and pass code are blank
    APN - broadband.mymeteor.ie
    External IP is set to Dynamic

Using b260a (device max of 7.2mbps HSPA and that HSPA operates on the 2100 MHz frequency in my particular area) for above info and below speeds:

2082717097.png

2082718380.png

2082718380.png

2082719714.png

2082720383.png

the e1820 can clock up to nine meg with it been a HSPA+ 21.6mb device but its signal is only 35% on average thus making it far more unstable speed and ping wise - the b260a seems to have the better antenna for the job even if it is limited to a max speed of 7.2mb

• Advertisement

Cheers thanks... Changed the settings there alright not much of a diff but good to know they're on the right things

it's still averaging about 3down 2.5up pings about 50-60 not that bad

nice tip on the ping to keep the connection live, I have it set to "auto" on the router which is supposed to do that i believe

i must try the ping thing on the dongle, that always idles when no data is being transfered which is why i got the router again to avoid that, I have a dongle that can take 21.6mb but doesn't make much diff

Cheers thanks... Changed the settings there alright not much of a diff but good to know they're on the right things

it's still averaging about 3down 2.5up pings about 50-60 not that bad

nice tip on the ping to keep the connection live, I have it set to "auto" on the router which is supposed to do that i believe

i must try the ping thing on the dongle, that always idles when no data is being transfered which is why i got the router again to avoid that, I have a dongle that can take 21.6mb but doesn't make much diff

No problem mate :)

Its handy alright to run that command plus you can visually see what is happening exactly and how stable your connection is.

Yeah it's convenient, I made a vbscript for it so it can ping in the background

Only thing is once I run the script to ping an IP I can never find out where to turn it off!

But it's no biggie, nice to know where stuff runs is all

managed to get 5 bars if signal but still get this

2088545196.png

Not as good since i changed the router ffs.... I was getting 5 down almost 3 up for about 2 months prior to the change :|

Hmm the rain and wind is giving me 5 bars of signal and this

2094118370.png

2094201258.png

67256653.png

• Advertisement

Yeah I need more bad weather :pac:

2094260480.png

Yeah I need more bad weather :pac:

2094260480.png

Gotta love it :D:D

2094485102.png

I'm sure it's cause of the time but hey almost back to record breaking results

At least after all my ridiculous ranting the setup is capable of getting the speeds it was previously before it went all arseways, good stuff anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Meteor in Mullingar

2104894470.png

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

God I wish I could get Meteor :rolleyes:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2106242257.png

bijou wrote: »
    God I wish I could get Meteor :rolleyes:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2106242257.png

It may take a while to load, but this seems adamant

edward_norton_computer.gif

What's goin' on with yer connection there!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

It may take a while to load, but this seems adamant

edward_norton_computer.gif

What's goin' on with yer connection there!

Haha.... that took about 5 minutes to get going:eek:

I've had all sorts of responses from the provider - the last one was they're waiting for parts for the mast which could take up to 6 weeks to arrive before the mast is "back to normal" that was 4 weeks ago.

I've just noticed they're using the same line on someone else in their own forum, who funnily enough is only 10 miles away from where I am..... Can't see us both using the same mast so maybe it's a new tac-tic :rolleyes:

I have a slight improvement tonight (kind of!!)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2108753285.png

But it's the constant disconnections that are doing my head in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Three being very good during the day here lately. :)

2114026602.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Vodafone terrible here in mayo all weekend:mad:

2115384774.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

2115495439.png
    48 months being tethered

2115514974.png

bijou wrote: »
    Haha.... that took about 5 minutes to get going:eek:

I've had all sorts of responses from the provider - the last one was they're waiting for parts for the mast which could take up to 6 weeks to arrive before the mast is "back to normal" that was 4 weeks ago.

I've just noticed they're using the same line on someone else in their own forum, who funnily enough is only 10 miles away from where I am..... Can't see us both using the same mast so maybe it's a new tac-tic :rolleyes:

I have a slight improvement tonight (kind of!!)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2108753285.png

But it's the constant disconnections that are doing my head in!!

Yeah, loada nonsense , mobile networks really pushing the data crap no on customers.. meteor have a new add about free data with top ups, stop that now meteor!

Here's a result there..

2120408520.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭FREDNISMO

• Registered Users Posts: 36 alasdair606

just moved from three to o2

2127157721.png

happy for now was getting less than 1 meg on three

just moved from three to o2

2127157721.png

happy for now was getting less than 1 meg on three