Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midband speedtest Megaathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

jay93 wrote: »
    4246460534.png

4G on Vodafone tonight tested from my iPhone 5s hotspot on 3 bars of 4G signal.

I really find Vodafones 4G offering impressive.

1190272377.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

That is fancy. Vodafone sucks where I'm at!

Funny enough I live 3km from a Microsoft and google data centre yet can't get broadband or a fixed service over 1Mb

Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Cork981 wrote: »

1190272377.png

Wish they would increase data caps though lol :D . To be honest all providers are going to have to look at data caps for their 4g products. They are simply too small at present

Router 4g
    4247937914.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

1190272377.png

Me too it's always been good for me most widespread 4G signal too compared to when i was with Meteor and 3 .

-=al=- wrote: »
    That is fancy. Vodafone sucks where I'm at!

Funny enough I live 3km from a Microsoft and google data centre yet can't get broadband or a fixed service over 1Mb

Awesome.

Crazy!! i have DSL maxes out at around 14.2Mb/s every other estate can get eFibre except the main street in my town and some other estates as our lines go direct to an exchange rather than a VDSL cab.

Vodafone are the only ones with 4G around here we only have one mast serving the area a few a couple of miles away too but the main one is around 1-2 km from my house all the networks are on it Meteor are quite decent too 3 are really slow , hoping others bring 4G to the area soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

Me too it's always been good for me most widespread 4G signal too compared to when i was with Meteor and 3 .

Vodafone use 800mhz in the majority of places though the have started to deploy 1800mhz in cork city centre.

800mhz is very good at penetrating through buildings and reaching longer distances.

1193722646.png

Same as before 2 bars of 4G .

Vodafone use 800mhz in the majority of places though the have started to deploy 1800mhz in cork city centre.

800mhz is very good at penetrating through buildings and reaching longer distances.

Yeah true I haven't come across any 1800mhz myself yet when checking what freq band indicator that my iPhone is using it will say band 20 (800Mhz) . My area is fairly rural so they are using that around here since the upgrades last summer :) . Signal might not be great if it was on the higher frequency where my house is.

It's not allowing me to share a 3G test result from my phone only 4G and WiFi odd... Here's a screenshot on 3G 4bars same place as the 4G test was done . Attached image to post :P

Wish they would increase data caps though lol :D . To be honest all providers are going to have to look at data caps for their 4g products. They are simply too small at present

Router 4g
    4247937914.png

True they all need to put their caps up way higher I think at least 100GB should be the minimum on a 4G plan !

Nice speeds on Three couldn't get over 10Mb/s in the areas I went to when I was with them uploads were high though around 20-23 , wish they brought 4G to my area i don't like caps on my internet :P

• Advertisement

1194242618.png

Test done close to the mast less than 500m away .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Power Gear

4263551585.png

Tesco mobile 3g.

Hopefully this happens in the next few months.

Setanta Sports, Carphone Warehouse and UPC all planning to become mobile virtual network operators (MVNOs) by piggybacking on Three’s network.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/o2-becomes-three-as-rebrand-gets-underway-1.2126057

1199220007.png

4G test in Drogheda .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

4278486008.png

Still knocking about the 12/12 down/upload mark :pac:

Pretty consistent and it's almost always like that so can't complain

3/5 bars of signal on the router too and I think there's a mast 4-5 km away

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Yeah true I haven't come across any 1800mhz myself yet when checking what freq band indicator that my iPhone is using it will say band 20 (800Mhz) . My area is fairly rural so they are using that around here since the upgrades last summer :) . Signal might not be great if it was on the higher frequency where my house is.

Pretty much all of Cork city is 1800Mz now. Speeds are outstanding, but data caps low. Which is a lesson in mobile broadband in itself.

Is the 1800Mhz band 3 LTE/4G any faster in terms of download speeds compared to band 20 4G?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Generally if there is a good signal Band 3 will be faster as it has greater capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Power Gear wrote: »

Dear god - contention heaven so :mad::mad: Lets hope it leads to a price war and a competitive data cap war.

4305007915.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Generally if there is a good signal Band 3 will be faster as it has greater capacity.

Cool hopefully they get it rolled out around the country a bit faster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Well, my K4505 dongle finally gave up and is gone to electronics heaven! I've got a wi-fi R209-z on trial for a week (with 7.5Gb free).

First impressions is the wi-fi coverage around the house is not as good as my Dovodo router. Download speeds seem to be middling OK, but uploads are gone to ****e. Two and a half hours to upload a 4 minute 110MB video! I'll need to do more testing but I'm thinking that it is connecting to a different voda 3g network? (or is there such?)

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4313272367

4313640036.png

Todays speeds,

4318318596.png

mayo.mick wrote: »
    4313640036.png

Todays speeds,

4318318596.png

4318504370.png

Nice downloads :) shame about the upload speed though :(

Uploading a 5 minute video here, this could take a while. Might head to Spain for the week and wait there for it to finish uploading. Haven't the heart to try and figure out how many days and hours this will take at this rate :(

[IMG][/img]upload%20time-2_zpseoq3gyz3.jpg

4330816650.png

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

@yuloni, which modem do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

Nice downloads :) shame about the upload speed though :(

Downloads seem to be consistantly pretty good. Uploads another matter!

4388187954.png

This package I upgraded to seems to be on a different network/APN ? Performance plus its called. If I'm uploading anything there's no download access until the upload is finished. Anyone else have this problem?

Which APN is the new modem / plan using ? I'm not too sure about the upload problem I remember when I had Vodafone DSL that exact issue happened when anything uploaded nothing would download don't seem to have that issue with eircom DSL . I don't think I had that issue when I had a Vodafone R215 4G modem but I always had 4G access so I can't speak for the 3G performance.

Have you tried asking Vodafone themselves what the issue could be ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

yuloni wrote: »

must give this a go. have a WDR3600 sitting idle since moving to 4g but would really like to get it back in action as its a much more feature rich router than the TL-MR3420 i'm using.

Advertisement