Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midband speedtest Megaathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Who's that with and where?

Very impressive.
    jay93 wrote: »
    Which network is that ?

DNA Oy, its the underdog of the Finnish telco market. TeleSonera and Elisa have some 450Mb deployments.

Interesting bit is that the Finns rely heavily on mobile ops, theyve low fixed line penetration, and yet I dont see any signs of congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Old article but I remember this from when Finland made a broadband connection a legal right!

http://www.bbc.com/news/10461048

I'm sure we were figuring out how to get EDGE speeds back then from the 1 mast that we had in this country :pac:

It seems they have indeed stuck to vowing to connect everyone to a 100Mbps connection by 2015

Scandinavian's are pretty good a doing stuff right unlike the cowboys here

Their current clever plan is deploying 400Mhz (Very low freq) LTE to get ok speeds to end users in really remote areas. Low bands travel significantly further so they can cover the wilds of the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

ED E wrote: »
    Their current clever plan is deploying 400Mhz (Very low freq) LTE to get ok speeds to end users in really remote areas. Low bands travel significantly further so they can cover the wilds of the north.

That's good that they have 400Mhz LTE there Ireland's lowest allocated LTE is 800Mhz as far as I can remember. Were those speeds taken on the 400Mhz LTE?

That's good that they have 400Mhz LTE there Ireland's lowest allocated LTE is 800Mhz as far as I can remember. Were those speeds taken on the 400Mhz LTE?

Nope, 400Mhz delivers more around the 10-20Mb range IIRC.

Have three actually started with 400Mhz? I thought comreg only leased out 800 upwards.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Nope, 400Mhz delivers more around the 10-20Mb range IIRC.

Have three actually started with 400Mhz? I thought comreg only leased out 800 upwards.

I was thinking that alright the 400Mhz wouldn't deliver anything above the 20Mb mark.

That's right here in Ireland the lowest they leased out was 800Mhz to the networks my phone is always connected to this band I can usually get a max of 40Mb on this with Vodafone.

1371824616.png

Test on Vodafone LTE a while ago when I was walking home. 4 bars/dots of signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Test on my Huawei E5573 first time on 4G out in the country in Wexford. The ping is the main thing for me making online PC gaming actually playable!
    4687010108.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Three 4g in the day time
    4689785831.png

in the evening
    4688482351.png

lots of people taking advantage of this all you can eat data methinks...

Scruff wrote: »
    Three 4g in the day time
    4689785831.png

in the evening
    4688482351.png

lots of people taking advantage of this all you can eat data methinks...

Yep all you can eat data really kills Three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Had a similar issue when I was on three 3g a few years ago. Night time was aok but daytime, forget about it. Dismal speeds and very unreliable.

4702050976.png

Cork server and no idea where that download speed came from, I'm usually around 12

4702063046.png

What I usually get from an average speedtest!

Meteor was always more stable and reliable than three for my location. I might lose 1 or 2 Mb during peak times but still pretty good.

kevovek wrote: »
    Test on my Huawei E5573 first time on 4G out in the country in Wexford. The ping is the main thing for me making online PC gaming actually playable!
    4687010108.png

Nice :) gaming on 4G is better than 3G. Although I have a fixed line with Sky fibre I used to use mobile broadband and when my area went from 3G to 4G with Vodafone the speed jump was crazy and the ping improved. I can get 17Mb/s on Vodafone 3G since they have DC HSPA+ in my area which is pretty great compared to other networks on 3G. My 4G speeds range from 20-50 down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

yeah have to say 4g has been a god send for me as well.

No deterioration in the last few months as well which is awesome.

4707240595.png

True :D doesn't seem to suffer as badly as 3G did anyway ... So far :)

1390620057.png

Taken last night

1390621868.png

First test is 4G second test is 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Great speeds!

Here's mine tonight. I'd be happy enough if these would stay consistently like this!

4713624439.png

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

1392872347.png

Cork981 wrote: »
    1392872347.png

Crazy upload speed there. Nice download too :)

1394195283.png

Speeds this morning on 4G/LTE

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Great speeds!

Here's mine tonight. I'd be happy enough if these would stay consistently like this!

4713624439.png

Not too bad at all compared to all the other results you have had on the thread :) always nice to have consistent speeds. I find 4G to be most consistent 3G suffers a lot when the cell traffic gets high.

• Advertisement

Not too bad at all compared to all the other results you have had on the thread :) always nice to have consistent speeds. I find 4G to be most consistent 3G suffers a lot when the cell traffic gets high.

It has improved a good bit in the last year or so. Think the congestion is down due to people moving over to 4G.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭ACLFC7

Three 4G in Kildare
    4728646251.png

My best result ever I'd say :)

4749100624.png

mayo.mick wrote: »
    My best result ever I'd say :)

4749100624.png

Seems to be getting better for you there hopefully it keeps it up :)

ACLFC7 wrote: »
    Three 4G in Kildare
    4728646251.png

Nice result for Three what's it like in the evening?

1406723735.png

Test on Vodafone 4G in drogheda today band 3 LTE speeds seem better than band 20. The upload is low as when I was testing I was moving away from the area in the car.. The signal was full when the download was been done but the upload was done when the signal went to 2 bars.

Nice result for Three what's it like in the evening?
    It's basically the same at any time of the day.
    I usually get about 24Mbps over WiFi and 30Mbps using ethernet

Just did this est now over WiFi
    4751079507.png
    I bet I'd get 26Mbps if I used my desktop with ethernet.

ACLFC7 wrote: »
    It's basically the same at any time of the day.
    I usually get about 24Mbps over WiFi and 30Mbps using ethernet

Just did this est now over WiFi
    4751079507.png
    I bet I'd get 26Mbps if I used my desktop with ethernet.

That's fairly decent alright. My Sky fibre connection is 24Mb/s so some peoples 4G beats it. It is unlimited though. I noticed myself with 4G the speed doesn't seem to drop at all throughout the day 3G was horrible for speeds going up and down

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

Meteor (3G) in Ballybofey:

TcIeDotsq.kTUEvaYLu.png

Three (LTE), same place in Ballybofey:

UJ2gj7vnZ.HOp9GW5sI.png

Multi-threaded download test on Three (Ookla's Speedtests are all multithreaded):

SClWaPoXO.png

My phone showed a full signal when I ran the tests. I'm surprised how high the Meteor speeds go, considering 16Mbps has been the highest I've ever seen on Three on their 3G network within Ireland.

• Advertisement

editorsean wrote: »
    Meteor (3G) in Ballybofey:

TcIeDotsq.kTUEvaYLu.png

Three (LTE), same place in Ballybofey:

UJ2gj7vnZ.HOp9GW5sI.png

Multi-threaded download test on Three (Ookla's Speedtests are all multithreaded):

SClWaPoXO.png

My phone showed a full signal when I ran the tests. I'm surprised how high the Meteor speeds go, considering 16Mbps has been the highest I've ever seen on Three on their 3G network within Ireland.

Why such a big difference between a Multi-threaded download test and a non multi threaded?
    How does that work?

Advertisement