Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midband speedtest Megaathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Are three selling a cat 4 or cat 5 router may I ask?

The B315 is CAT 4 up to 150Mb/s I don't think they sell any CAT 5 routers yet I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

When I was originally checking out what router to get, I did at one point consider the Huawi E5168, which is a Cat6 router, supporting up to 300Mbps. But then came to mind, by the time LTE+ comes to my rural location, I'll more likely have a much better fixed line service (e.g. FTTH) or something else comes along, so ended up going for the E593s-22.

The Netgear AC790-100EUS is the fastest router I'm aware of, also Cat6, but delivering up to 450Mbps. However, as it's a MiFi without an Ethernet port, I doubt it can deliver the full throughput even to a 802.11ac client right next to it.

The way LTE Advanced works is through carrier aggregation, where a compatible device can simultaneously use multiple bands of spectrum, including across different frequencies, e.g. 4 x 75Mbps bands of spectrum for 300Mbps. Obviously this means the network needs to upgrade their cell towers to cover all that spectrum. As for a non LTE+ device, it will only be able to use part of that spectrum. So while such devices will not be able to achieve the vast throughput, the extra spectrum will provide the benefit of reduced congestion, similar to adding extra lanes to a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Not holding my breath on it happening anytime soon but nice to see the next bit of progress happening!

VWn3rsN.png

I'm getting pretty respectable results lately. This kind of speed is perfectly fine for my needs tbh but I wouldn't say no to a faster speed.

I'd rather they improved the data limits than speeds though... 4g+ speeds with 3g data limits? c'maaaaan

I agree the data limits of LTE/4G is crazy they are still on par with 3G limits. Here in the US I have 5GB of LTE data with T-Mobile and then unlimited data at 2G speeds basically throttled data. Although it's better than having no connection at all or extra charges after the 5GB it's still not much.

They do allow me to stream as much Netflix and YouTube as part of their binge on service as they call it , this doesn't deduct from my 5GB of high speed. Also love wifi calling here currently in the hospital for a few days with my girlfriend our son is gonna be born this week and to make calls would be impossible without wifi calling as I have no service at all in here nor does she on AT&T network. Ireland also lacks VoLTE but at home is catching up especially with 4G+ been rolled out.

That's quite decent too on Meteor generally anything above 20-30Mb/s is fine for me on LTE but I would never say no to faster speeds :P

1613700467.png

2 bars of LTE indoors.

• Advertisement

Anybody got 4G+ on Three? Would be nice to see how that's doing for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

jay93 wrote: »

Saw posts mentioning Blackrock(Dublin) and Rathmines IIRC. Thread on Talk2Three has a few users.

Waiting for the 820 based handset I want to become available so I can hop on the LTEA gravy train.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭ACLFC7

jay93 wrote: »

Not sure if this was 4G+ or just regular 4G. This was last week in Dublin (DIT Kevin Street)

ACLFC7 wrote: »
    Not sure if this was 4G+ or just regular 4G. This was last week in Dublin (DIT Kevin Street)

Nice ! Looks like 4G+ to me :)

ED E wrote: »
    Saw posts mentioning Blackrock(Dublin) and Rathmines IIRC. Thread on Talk2Three has a few users.

Waiting for the 820 based handset I want to become available so I can hop on the LTEA gravy train.

Cool if you do get an LTEA device let us know :) I need to upgrade my iPhone from a 6 to 6s to get LTEA :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Nah that's regular 4G. I can get up to 80mbps regularly in Cork City.

PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    Nah that's regular 4G. I can get up to 80mbps regularly in Cork City.

Could it be LTE-A but it's just congeted? Is there any way to tell if it's LTE Advanced through settings or some app?

Could it be LTE-A but it's just congeted? Is there any way to tell if it's LTE Advanced through settings or some app?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.simplyadvanced.ltediscovery&hl=en

This has a field called "Cell Level" that I currently see as all 3s and 4s which would match with CAT3 and CAT4 which makes sense for a CAT4 device.

Rel10UECategories_1.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Not sure how to post a speedtest from the app but getting a ping of 29ms, 42.15Mb download and 28.84Mb upload on Three in the South East.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭tiegan

Niemoj wrote: »
    Not sure how to post a speedtest from the app but getting a ping of 29ms, 42.15Mb download and 28.84Mb upload on Three in the South East.

I also do not know how to post speedtests, but am getting the same kind of speeds as you on 4G in rural co Tipp. Delighted, as my 3G reception and speeds were crap in the same location. One happy customer anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭MichaelR

A few measurements on the same phone, Tesco Mobile, all at 5 bars, 3G (as Tesco Mobile does not have 4G). First outdoors, others indoors at different times (slowest indoors, the one with 2M download, taken at a somewhat different point of the house than the other two). Patrickswell co. Limerick.

r4KRNHZ.png
    gvZV9ok.png
    6hUqstK.png
    HdFO4et.png

And this is why Vodafone are worth every cent.

1974703352.png

Wow nice. What kind of data limits are you getting with them?

I see Vodafone is really pushing its ads even on the Speedtest site:

ztkARQJ.png

... makes sense with how heavily Three has throttled YouTube this evening and its cache server seems to be also offline (refresh page trick doesn't work at the moment):

bdm90bQ.png

-=al=- wrote: »
    Wow nice. What kind of data limits are you getting with them?

That sim has been migrated from a corporate account so I'm not actually sure.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    That sim has been migrated from a corporate account so I'm not actually sure.

Say nothing and just roll with it! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users Posts: 34 TheMadMan697

5457090178.png

Three 4g with 2x Poynting LDPA-0092

5457090178.png

Three 4g with 2x Poynting LDPA-0092

WiFi or ethernet?

T-Mobile US a few days ago highest I've ever seen here or in Ireland highest I got there was 60Mbs on Vodafone.2048621617.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭John mac

5509257880.png
    pleasant surprise ,

pic not showing for some reason but ..

7/28/2016 5:20 AM

19.47 down
    16.94 up
    31 ping

John mac wrote: »
    pic not showing for some reason but ..
    5509257880.png

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭John mac

thanks ED. (what was I doing wrong?)

Beta subdomain, just strip that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

5517054559.png

• Advertisement

Meteor in Donegal town - With a few thousand people visiting the town for the annual food festival (A taste of Donegal), it seems like not many are using the network. It was my last day before my data bundle renewed, so I took advantage of my remaining allowance running tests throughout the day. The majority of tests (on TestMy and fast.com) were around 30 to 50Mbps, similar to a quieter day in Donegal town.

The following two tests were on run on my OnePlus 2 phone about 2pm, both with a full LTE signal.

2164019047.pngRZcEtBksa.T6wISFRNg.png

I would love to have tried this with Three as a crowd usually kills that network's performance, but never thought of bringing my Three SIM with me.

Advertisement