Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midband speedtest Megaathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭John mac

6128330714.png
    best so far ,, (ethernet)

and currently
    6145061925.png

cant complain about this ,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

John mac wrote: »
    6128330714.png
    best so far ,, (ethernet)

and currently
    6145061925.png

cant complain about this ,,

Where were the tests done, and what device?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

No improvement yet with Three in our area (south west Co. Donegal) apart from their YouTube prioritisation, based on giving it a quick test yesterday evening.

It's great early in the day (left), but like a tortoise at night (~10pm yesterday), both tests with the same router/antenna setup:

6145973646.png6144938590.png

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

Vodafone 4g+ in cork city at 5.00pm

20GB download cap which is more than enough for me.

2020946690.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭long_b

Wired - 3
    South Kildare

6147934024.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

This morning in Galway City.
    2021747969.png

The following are Meteor 3G (left) and 4G (right) here in Ballybofey (~10:30am):

2723597901.png2723602433.png

Probably my last Three 4G speed test for a while (yesterday ~10pm), at least until they fix the page to buy an add-on:

6150882998.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Test earlier through my mobile bb sim in a Heuwei B593 on 3G H+ 4 bars signal

6153921848.png

And thetered to my phone, 3G H+ 5 bars signal, next to router,

6153944160.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

test2_zpszrxaj0b3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭long_b

test2_zpszrxaj0b3.png

Holy Jebus, what was this taken on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

iPhone 6s plus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Check out my @Speedtest result! How fast is your internet? http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2970487507

Charlestown, CO.MAYO on three

Has been a while since I did a speedtest.net. I see they have changed the site slightly, I can't now seem to be able to embed a speedtest result in forums like this. Anyone else notice this?

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Has been a while since I did a speedtest.net. I see they have changed the site slightly, I can't now seem to be able to embed a speedtest result in forums like this. Anyone else notice this?

And just as I clicked post, there I found the embed link :o

6391976096.png

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

3060106305.png

Dublin 1, must have been lucky with a quiet cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,343 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Shortly after I'd installed a pair of cheap UHF TV antennas, pointed at my nearest 4G cell, 15km away over fields and trees. The antennas are at the top of a 40ft pole.
    This was a quiet time of the day, though. More normally it's around 20Mbps.
    RstPA2r.jpg
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

2279228483.png

Cork airport

6710062366.png

2328018896.png

Vodafone has slowed down to a trickle in recent months in Donegal town. The following test was Saturday afternoon in the town centre, very different to the 40-60Mbps results I typically got two years ago. Although I haven't tested peak time hours, I've a friend just outside Donegal who said the Vodafone network has been barely usable for data in the evenings, especially over the Christmas period.

3620734378.png

While in Dungloe earlier today, one of the few towns Vodafone provides 4G+:

3626172713.png

Killybegs, about 2:45pm:

3626436054.png

I spoke to Vodafone about the poor speed in Donegal and Killybegs (especially peak time), but they came back saying there is no issue with their network in these areas. For what was once a lightning fast network in 4G areas, their larger phone and mobile broadband packages seem to be crippling certain areas, at least around here in Co. Donegal. It reminds me of Three's single digit speeds around here before their recent network upgrades.

• Advertisement

People love to complain about Three but if you're not in the sticks its quite functional.

feFQqYo.jpg

30Mhz of Band 3 (20+10)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

ED E wrote: »
    People love to complain about Three but if you're not in the sticks its quite functional.

feFQqYo.jpg

30Mhz of Band 3 (20+10)

Where was that?

South Dublin, near the 50.

ED E wrote: »

feFQqYo.jpg

30Mhz of Band 3 (20+10)
    Dan Jaman wrote: »
    6710062366.png

Out in the sticks, Three is ok for me with this setup, but over the winter with bare trees I was slightly disappointed it only rose to 55Mbs max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Just got three installed. Already nearly 20x faster than my broadband speed with only 2/3 bars of 4g. Absolutely delighted.

I ported back to Three from Vodafone to take advantage of the monthly €10 free credit offer and give Three another try. I figured if I got the dismal performance I had previously, I would try getting on Vodafone's data user port-in plan.

On Vodafone, my peak speed test was 90Mbps from what I recall in Co. Donegal and 140Mbps at 7am near Dublin airport, both in 4G+ areas.

While leaving Letterkenny on Sunday, I got the result below after 6pm with the Ookla app. When I last tested Three a year ago, it was barely usable with low single digit download results after 6pm throughout most of Co. Donegal.

RHro1cN.png

While in Donegal town I ran a speed test with the Vodafone speed tester app. I've a habit of using it as Vodafone does not meter its data usage and figured I'll see what it achieves on Three. Normally I would expect to see around 10-20Mbps in Donegal town on Vodafone, so seeing this was quite an eye opener on Three 4G+ there, especially in the afternoon...

yjQSen2.png

Thats 154 of 260 on the DL, faster than I've ever managed inside RoI.

The above was my fastest to date. I thought it was amusing to get it with the rival network's speed tester. If you ever drop by Co. Donegal or for anyone else interested, I ran the test outside Supervalu in Donegal town. It has clear line of sight with the Three mast on The Abbey Hotel.

The other location was on the climbing lane stretch outside Letterkenny heading for Stranorlar. I ran another test on Three there while travelling with someone to a wake earlier today. Not as high as above, but my fastest to date for Letterkenny:

DCokJ2C.png

I suspect the other Three 4G+ sites around us are microwave fed as most peak around 80Mbps during the day. For example, when I arrive at my workplace in Ballybofey I get around 70-80Mbps on Three at 9am and drops to 40-60Mbps when I leave around 5pm:

lISG4Xs.png

Then again, this is still a 10x improvement over the testing I did on Three last year. The fastest mobile network test I've seen posted here was this 211Mbps result on Vodafone Nonoperational got on the 16th April 2017, surprisingly at 9:23pm. With the much larger Vodafone data bundles and student X plans since then, I don't think we'll be seeing the 200Mbps barrier being broken again for a while, let alone in the evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

editorsean wrote: »
    The above was my fastest to date. I thought it was amusing to get it with the rival network's speed tester. If you ever drop by Co. Donegal or for anyone else interested, I ran the test outside Supervalu in Donegal town. It has clear line of sight with the Three mast on The Abbey Hotel.

What's your setup here if you don't mind me asking? External antenna or what, which router what rsrp distance from cell etc. because those are some speeds I'd like to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

Latest speedtest of the 4G router:
    Been between 40-80 all day long.

7466215536.png

Advertisement