Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midband speedtest Megaathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 the_real_dave

957468971.png

My first post, and latest speed test from Imagine. We just got it set up yesterday, a fixed unit, with an aerial placed on my chimney. I've seen the speed hit 8Mb in a spike, on a 3Mb package, 6km from the base.

So far, I've had no problems with Imagine, other than the throttling of torrents.

Considering that I've moved to 5Mb from .25Mb through an ADSL provider (Vodafone most recently, who I thankfully managed to escape.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

962286186.png

:D:D
    very happy with my new service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

962380932.png

:D

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 4711 kbps (588.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 2473 kbps (309.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

magnet speedtest result
    :D:D

meteor btw!!!

967418571.png

3 seems to have fixed the network here huge improvement over the 4kb/s max over this past weeek haha

• Advertisement

967530795.png

Still fast and steady here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Lads what are the speeds like in the santry/DCU area for Meteor 02 and Three?

The consensus seems to be that 02 are very slow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

977535794.png
    Not bad today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭siblers

979011368.png
    With 3 using that Huwaei router.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Helium wrote: »
    939201235.png

Big improvement since i got repeater when i switched over to NBS contract plus will be getting extra download allowance each month, happy days for nowbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Hi Helium. Did you get the repeater from Three?

• Advertisement

Is there a difference to signing up to the NBS or with 3? I know it's the same providers but are the costs/services etc different, like I have 30gb allowance for €26 a month and I paid €49.99 for the huwei router. Or is it all just the one thing. Also is a repeater just like an aerial you have on your roof?

siblers wrote: »
    Is there a difference to signing up to the NBS or with 3? I know it's the same providers but are the costs/services etc different, like I have 30gb allowance for €26 a month and I paid €49.99 for the huwei router. Or is it all just the one thing. Also is a repeater just like an aerial you have on your roof?

repeater is a box you put on your window but it can be connceted to an ariel and it repeats the signal that you are getting from where its located on a closed channel only recievable with a dongle while the router recieves it from the same place but it accessable with anything that has wifi plus the router can be configured for better perfomance while the repeater cant...ive the router b60a i think and its far more efficent and handy for me as i have several wifi devices and it seems to recieve the signal just as well as a repeater....ive a repeater for a while and it kept disconnecting with no reason at all and i could only access the internet via one dongle so no shared internet conncetion unless you set up Internet Conncetion Sharing on a PC and shared your internet via wifi but the computer would have to be on for that to work...

plus the NBS only has 25gb data but is supposed to garentee a min service of 1.2 mb and the highest latency of 120ms....NBS or none...it wont improve your performance from my experience

you will still recieve the same 3 network through the router or the repeater

979488737.png

BTW - did you know the b60a router can be hooked up to an ariel as well :P

Ah cool, didn't realise a repeater was like a crappy router. The Huwei with 3 seems pretty decent so far. Just need an aerial know and I'll be happy out

Ah cool, didn't realise a repeater was like a crappy router. The Huwei with 3 seems pretty decent so far. Just need an aerial know and I'll be happy out

you could see if it is possible but it will depend on the ariel configuration and if it will work with the router but i dont see why not :)

you could see if it is possible but it will depend on the ariel configuration and if it will work with the router but i dont see why not :)

Some guy got it for his 3 Huwei router but he didn't realise the aerial was so big so he said he'd give it to me at a discount :D, he sells laptops etc and fixes computer for a living so I'm hoping he had the sense to get one that's compatible.

Some guy got it for his 3 Huwei router but he didn't realise the aerial was so big so he said he'd give it to me at a discount :D, he sells laptops etc and fixes computer for a living so I'm hoping he had the sense to get one that's compatible.

awesome dude let us know how it goes and if it made a difference - could you provide info on your current conncetion quality and when you have it could you then provide some more data with the new setup in operation please ?:)

what does it look like btw and how big is it?

Yeah I'm quite curious as to the difference, will post it up when I get it sorted. Haven't seen it yet though, but I think it's familiar to standard t.v aerials or something similar to the likes of what you get with Permanet or Irish BB.
    This is my 3 connection
    979533441.png

This is my 70 euros a month eircom DSL connection. Most people think I'm mad giving up DSL for mobile broadband but Eircom aint exactly offering amazing speeds.
    979537977.png

thats a very poor result from eircom and for 70euro a month :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

980459278.png

Wow, this is faster than my dsl at home in Drogheda! Delighted so far :)

In Dublin 9.

jay93 wrote: »
    thats a very poor result from eircom and for 70euro a month :eek:

Yeah you have to pay line rental as well which is crazy expensive. Scandalous really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

980811471.png

was getting bout 700-800k a sec download on rapidshare.

Bray area

980910256.png

Yeah you have to pay line rental as well which is crazy expensive. Scandalous really.

Yeah its completly scandalous 26euro a month for line rental :eek:
    no wonder so many people are moving to wireless and 3G services if line rental ws 6-10 euro maybe then would getting landline BB be more affordable and seem more applealing to people

pieface_ie wrote: »
    980811471.png

was getting bout 700-800k a sec download on rapidshare.

Bray area

Nice:D:p is it always that fast for ya or does it slow down during peak hours?
    highest speed ive ever got with 3 was 5.36MB/S

983292441.png

Pretty happy with that.

983413093.png

25684502.png

my 3mb utv DSL going to compare it to my 3 mobile bb now

983511686.png

983512836.png

983517577.png

high winds are driving speeds down alot!!

25690476.png

could be worse tough pings seem to be fine :)

983507106.png

25689920.png

984007611.png

25715189.png

984610380.png

25749288.png

• Advertisement

Went to my friends house who has O2 with the USB dongle, did a speed test and he got download of 0.5mb/s and upload of 0.6mb/s, switched to the Huawei 620 router on 3 network and it went up to like 4.0 mb/s and upload of 1.2 mb/s.

Advertisement