Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to transport house plants to Germany?

Options
  • 03-07-2010 6:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. We are moving to Germany soon and the removal firm taking our furniture may take two weeks to deliver to us. So I cannot lock up my plants for two or possibly three weeks in cardboard boxes.

How can I bring them over to Germany and give them a good chance of surivival? Can I put them into excess baggage...is there some way of taking them on the plane?

Or what would be my best option...surely somebody somewhere must move plants around.

Thanks in advance...

mica

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Make sure you are legally entitled to.

While I have no specific knowledge in this area, there are restrictions with movement of plants & animals to restrict spread of various pests and diseases. Whether any of this applies to you, I've no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You would save yourself a lot of (import) hassle if you gave them away to your friends and bought some new ones when you get there.

I remember reading an article somewhere that said that Europeans regard house plants as something that you replace fairly frequently, they don't tend to hang on to them as we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Micamaca wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. We are moving to Germany soon and the removal firm taking our furniture may take two weeks to deliver to us. So I cannot lock up my plants for two or possibly three weeks in cardboard boxes.

How can I bring them over to Germany and give them a good chance of surivival? Can I put them into excess baggage...is there some way of taking them on the plane?

Or what would be my best option...surely somebody somewhere must move plants around.

Thanks in advance...

mica

Why would you want to do that?:confused:

But if you must, you could take the car! BTW do some research as there are movement restrictions on certain plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

Hi again,

thanks for the replies. I have emailed the German Embassy to see what they have to say. But I'm beginning to think this is not going to work. If I give them away, I have to chose carefully who to give them too, as my sisters killed all my plants the last time!

My mother gave me one plant, she grew it for me and since she is no longer with us, I wanted to bring that one in particular.

I thought it must be possible somehow. If that damn shipping company that was hired to do our move were less useless, this wouldn't be a problem.

Oh well, I can only try.

Thanks anyway...
    mica

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Could you not take a slip of the particular one from your mother? What is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

I could I suppose...it's how she grew it herself. I've no idea what it's called, it is nothing fancy and is not pretty. But it is associated with a memory of her making it for me and then later giving it to me. I could take a couple of slips and try to grow it. Would have to look up how to cut it, but that might be easier.

The other one I like is one of those little plants that look a little like minature palm trees. Quite fond of that one, but unless an airline lets me bring it on, it's got to go to some old friends who won't kill it. I suppose, since we are emigrating, I thought it would be nice to bring them with.

If we can bring cats on board the plane, why not an oul plant :)

Advertisement