Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

out of hours doctor near newcastle?

Options
  • 03-07-2010 6:32am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

right, feeling like ****, on a few meds that mean i have to be careful and can't take anything besides paracetamol for pain, thats not working so need to see a doc.

living near the westwood hotel in newcastle, dont want to go to triage/er/casulty/whatever so does anyone know an out of hour doctor service in the area?

Probably a dose of the man flu but had a rough year health wise (2 months in hospital, 2 surgeries, been on meds since september...) so wanna make sure tis nothing to worry about.

Cheers.

if you could post numbers that would be awesome. if you're not allowed post numbers because of forum rules, just send me a pm.

Thanks lads/ladies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Did you try Westdoc Seanah?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

so very far away... im gonna go phone them if i dont feel any better/get some sleep by noon...

Seaneh wrote: »
    so very far away... im gonna go phone them if i dont feel any better/get some sleep by noon...

They maybe can send someone out if you really need it Seanah?

http://www.galway-ireland.ie/westdoc.htm

Hope you get some sleep and feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

It depends on who your own GP is what out of hours you can use, WestDoc & CityDoc normally ownly see patients registered with their own GP's. If you ring your GP's office their answering machine should tell you who to call, or they might even provide their own out of hours seperate to CityDoc or WestDoc.

It's important to get yourself a GP if you don't have one already.

Hope you feel better soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Not all GPs are with the WestDoc scheme. I once brought a sick child to their office in Liosbaun and they wouldn't see her for this reason; this might influence your choice of GP.

I won't name him here...

• Advertisement

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Not all GPs are with the WestDoc scheme. I once brought a sick child to their office in Liosbaun and they wouldn't see her for this reason; this might influence your choice of GP.

I won't name him here...

Your doc must have been registered with City Doc so, as mine is. I don't go to Westdoc when I need out of hours, but to Bon Secours..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

what's the citydoc service? is it just a different scheme, or an alternative to westdoc?

Used westdoc a couple of times, they do housecalls if you absolutely cannot make it out to Lisbaoun...(although there was one doctor who, one the phone, told us she couldnt come out, we'd have to come in, and, when hubby literally crawled through the door, told us 'ah, why didnt you say it was that bad, I would come out to ye'. Ehm, we did, you didnt believe us, and said that a lot of people demand a call out when they're really fine...
    B*tch...

Anyhoo....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

galah wrote: »
    what's the citydoc service? is it just a different scheme, or an alternative to westdoc?

Someone explained it above. But to repeat:

Every GP has to provide out-of-hours cover. A very few (I'm told) to it themselves. Most do it by belonging to one of Westdoc or Citydoc. To find out which one your doctor uses and how to contact them, ring their surgery out-of-hours and see what it says on the answerphone. Or ask them or their receptionist (if they have one).

If it's out-of-hours and you're not registered with a GP, I believe that your only options are the A&E at Galway Clinic (restricted hours: currently 10am-7pm, 7 days ... and private to expect to pay), or A&E at UCHG (expect to pay if you're not admitted, queue lengths vary).

If you're finding it difficult to get registered with a GP, then wait 'til you're ill and turn up at 9am (or whenever they open) looking really miserable and say "I'm not registered, I don't have an appointment, any chance of seeing a doctor this morning?" This may work 'cos they're scared to send you away in case you die outside. And once they've seen you once you can tell Westdoc/Citydoc that they're your doctor.

OP, hope you've got it sorted by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

You could try Doctor Eoin Ó Dochartaigh in Moyola Park. Ring for an appointment :)

Advertisement