Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are UPC Bound to upgrade cable in Apartment

• 03-07-2010 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

We have an apartment in Clontarf where UPC is the provider. However they say the cable within the apartments is too old for digital services including broadband. Anyone know if they have an opbligation to upgrade the cables or is it at their discretion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

Gerry1995 wrote: »
    We have an apartment in Clontarf where UPC is the provider. However they say the cable within the apartments is too old for digital services including broadband. Anyone know if they have an opbligation to upgrade the cables or is it at their discretion.

Give it time and they will be doing it anyways. its in their interest to do so. they are currently upgrading the whole country so I'm afraid a phone call wont make them move any faster.

I had to wait 14months for mine even thought my father 2 miles away had it already .:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Gerry1995

Problem is the area is upgraded, just not the internal cables in the building, I met one of the installers there and he said it was unlikely they would bother with the internal upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

It's at their discretion unfortunatly, if there is a large number of apartments interested in getting digital tv and broadband perhaps approach them as a group?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Problem is the area is upgraded, just not the internal cables in the building, I met one of the installers there and he said it was unlikely they would bother with the internal upgrade.

So whose word are you relying on for this information? Have you formally asked UPC for an upgrade or are you going by what the installer said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

Ian Beale wrote: »
    It's at their discretion unfortunatly, if there is a large number of apartments interested in getting digital tv and broadband perhaps approach them as a group?

This would be the best way to go if they say no to you.

I have heard of people in apartments signing a petition to have cable installed before. if a certain percentage signup they would surely install it for ye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

@OP PM me your apartment location and I'll let you know what the situation is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

@OP PM me your apartment location and I'll let you know what the situation is.

Do you work for UPC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Nolimits wrote: »
    Do you work for UPC?

You can trust that guy.

Don't ask too many questions UPC people are not allowed help on boards;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Ranicand wrote: »
    You can trust that guy.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Ranicand wrote: »
    You can trust that guy.

+2 :)

• Advertisement

PM Sent. This is my daughter's apartment and when she ordered TV and broadband they rang her to say she could not have broadband due to cabeling. I happen to later meet an installer in the complex when he mentioned it was internal cabeling that was the prroblem. Now I was in the attic space today and noticed the cable is broken and joined by twisting and taped with selltape !!!!, I kid you not. So the guy is due to install TV this week so I will sing dumb about the broken cable and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

The cable in these apartments was installed when the complex was built, not by UPC or NTL/Chorus.
    The contracters are the ones to blame.

If bad quality cable was used then it's not really UPC's fault.

Rewiring a building is a fairly expensive thing to do, so UPC would need to know that enough people in the building would be signing up to contracts to make it worth their while.
    They can't justify wiring the building for one person like.

Gets a bit worse, I think, Just had UPC here to install TV only and they could not install as they say the cable must be damaged as they have poor signal, now have to talk to Management company about getting this fixed. What I cannot find out about the broadband issue is this, is the problem with internal cable or with the cable to the apartment block.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Gets a bit worse, I think, Just had UPC here to install TV only and they could not install as they say the cable must be damaged as they have poor signal, now have to talk to Management company about getting this fixed. What I cannot find out about the broadband issue is this, is the problem with internal cable or with the cable to the apartment block.

It's going to be the internal cable.
    The builders probably layed sub par cables when building the apartments.
    So the UPC cable that connects onto it is unable to transfer the full services.
    Unfortunately for you, there's a chance that you may be completely out of luck, as it's unlikely the management will rewire the building.

Advertisement