Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Allman Brothers

• 03-07-2010 9:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭

I really like this band, but I have found that the majority of their albums contain the same songs. They seem to have a big album output, but when you consider this, the musical content is considerably smaller. An overlap of one or two tracks is probably acceptable, but I have come across some with four or five. These are not "Best of.." or "Greatest Hits" albums, but individual ones. Rarely, have I come across another band with the same album overlap.

Any comments ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

Rigsby wrote: »
    I really like this band, but I have found that the majority of their albums contain the same songs. They seem to have a big album output, but when you consider this, the musical content is considerably smaller. An overlap of one or two tracks is probably acceptable, but I have come across some with four or five. These are not "Best of.." or "Greatest Hits" albums, but individual ones. Rarely, have I come across another band with the same album overlap.

Any comments ?

Nice to see a fan of The Allman's here. Hhhmmm, not so sure I'd agree with you, to an extent yes, I mean they are a blues based rock band who never strayed to far from a winning formula, but I find they have layers of music etc within most albums. For example Dickey Betts brought a whole new "country" dimension to the group. I love AC/DC but they are a lot more "predictable" than Allman's. Or take Oasis, how predictable is that?

Hugely underrated in these parts i.e. UK & Europe, an American phenonemeon, much like The Grateful Dead, amazing the amount of folks who have no idea of their music, or their place in history IMO. But the amount of bands they have inspired in USA is huge, everybody tips they're hat to these guys, rightly so. And the above two band were the ultimate live bands, studio work was almost dull & lame compared to live jams & improvisations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

edhead wrote: »
    Nice to see a fan of The Allman's here. Hhhmmm, not so sure I'd agree with you, to an extent yes, I mean they are a blues based rock band who never strayed to far from a winning formula, but I find they have layers of music etc within most albums. For example Dickey Betts brought a whole new "country" dimension to the group. I love AC/DC but they are a lot more "predictable" than Allman's. Or take Oasis, how predictable is that?

Hugely underrated in these parts i.e. UK & Europe, an American phenonemeon, much like The Grateful Dead, amazing the amount of folks who have no idea of their music, or their place in history IMO. But the amount of bands they have inspired in USA is huge, everybody tips they're hat to these guys, rightly so. And the above two band were the ultimate live bands, studio work was almost dull & lame compared to live jams & improvisations.

I recently went on ebay with the intention of buying some more of their albums. I checked out about six albums. "In memory of Elizabeth Reed", "Whipping Post", "Statesboro' Blues" and "Midnight Rider" was on most of them. I already have these songs on other different named albums.

I completely agree with you that they are a great and underrated band. If only they brought out one or two "Best of.." albums and had no overlaps in their individual albums, then a potential buyer like myself would not be put off.

I recently went on ebay with the intention of buying some more of their albums. I checked out about six albums. "In memory of Elizabeth Reed", "Whipping Post", "Statesboro' Blues" and "Midnight Rider" was on most of them. I already have these songs on other different named albums.

I completely agree with you that they are a great and underrated band. If only they brought out one or two "Best of.." albums and had no overlaps in their individual albums, then a potential buyer like myself would not be put off.

Pretty impossible to get their albums here in Ireland, bought most of mine in US & on amazon or ebay. There is only one greatest hits version worth getting, thats "Dreams" - the 4 cd box set, I started with that, and its a true reflection of all lineups etc in chronological order, fantastic detailed booklet with it too, beautiful box set. No idea of price now, but cost me 25 euro 7/8 years ago.

I agree, their back catalogue has kind of been plundered in ways, just like Jimi Hendrix, and hard to know what to choose and not, but of top of my head
    1) Brothers & Sisters
    2) Idlewild South
    3) Fillmore East
    4) Eat A Peach (preferably one with bonus disc, collectors edition)

are essential ownings. "Hittin The Note" from 2003 is also superb. IMO Duane Allman was the greatest guitarist after Jimi.

Hey, PM me if you want a couple of dvd's/live shows. Used to collect bootlegs from my tapetrading days, 50 or so live Allman shows & few dvd's too. Can burn & post, on the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Many thanks for your advice and generous offer. I have numbers 3, and 4 on your list, plus "Beginnings". I like them all. I'm generally more interested in their blues based albums, which were never the same since Duane left us. I'm considering getting "Seven Turns" (no over laps here ;) ) which is supposed to be blues based, but has gotten mixed reviews. I might consider the boxed set, but I've always steered clear of "Best of.." / "Greatest Hits" in favour of actual albums. You get a more complete flavour of a band this way IMO.

Thanks again for your input. :)

Many thanks for your advice and generous offer. I have numbers 3, and 4 on your list, plus "Beginnings". I like them all. I'm generally more interested in their blues based albums, which were never the same since Duane left us. I'm considering getting "Seven Turns" (no over laps here ;) ) which is supposed to be blues based, but has gotten mixed reviews. I might consider the boxed set, but I've always steered clear of "Best of.." / "Greatest Hits" in favour of actual albums. You get a more complete flavour of a band this way IMO.

Thanks again for your input. :)

Id go with Hittin The Note before Seven Turns, production & sound alone is far superior. Aye, boxed sets etc bore me too.

Finally, just to add, couple bands ya may dig as I know lots of Allman's fans do, check out Gov't Mule (Warren plays in Allmans now, aswell as The Dead), and perhaps The Steepwater Band, or Grace Potter & The Nocturnals. All relevant, recent hard touring bands that play music in the same spirit as The Allman's family, just dont hear of them over here.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 themucaro

The drummer's nephew, Derek Trucks is now a full-time member, guesting with them since he was in his early teens! Well worth checking out his group too, The Derek Trucks Band.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Been a big fan of them for years, just a shame they very rarely tour outside the US. Have a listen to Duane Allman's Anthology Volume 1 and 2 , really superb!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

I would second Gridlock's suggestion of the Duane Allman anthologies, unless you already have a lot of the stuff on them. The first one was my introduction to the Allman Brothers band way back in '87 and is a fantastic album.

Another suggestion would be the classic live albums, "At the Filmore East" and (if you can find them) the two "An Evening with the Allman Brothers Band" albums. A lot of the songs you know, but never quite the same.

Hittin' the Note is a great one too, with Derek Trucks joining Warren Haynes on guitar after Dickey Betts left. And if you can get it, the DVD "The Allman Brothers Band; Live at the Beacon" is well worth a look for Haynes' incredible facial expressions (and great playing!) and Derek Trucks' slide technique that has to be seen to be believed.

The Dreams box set is nice to have, but I find I dip into it now and then rather than playing it all the way through like I would with the others.

Advertisement