Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban smoking in public places?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

michael222 wrote: »
    Hello,

Yes and while your at it why not ban driving as well, and just about anything else that has some effect on your fellow man, and we all live at home and never come out at all.

Drink i dont do anyway but people have to live, and thats just one vice.

Michael

And you use your sarcasm and i use mine ;)

gavitron22 wrote: »
    "since when are fat people a hinderence to your health?"
    no but it's a hinderance to their health, which costs money and stuff, which is a lot of what the negative view of smoking from this thread is about, so it's not actually that bad of an example, in fact if you look at how many people are overwieght probably much more than those smoke, and these will have a lot of the same sicknesses normally associated with smokers, so, seriously ban fat people?

also, you could then ban sweets and things like that, cos the fat people wouldn't be there to eat them and the rappers wouldn't be there to cause litter, so that would be both tackled, why not do that? :rolleyes:

I have better idea 0630-top10-bubble.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 michael222

What a ill thought of analagy... since when are fat people a hinderence to your health?

I would like to see it banned in public places, nothing worse than having a smoker sit beside you and lighting up, smoke in your face, it's disgusting. IF you are going to spark up, have the common courtesy and the brainpower to smoke away from people. It's not the smoking outside that's the problem, it's the smoking close to other people that seems to annoy people. Litter is also another reason why it should be banned.

Designated smoking areas would be an idea.

Yes this would be a good idea as well "Designated smoking areas" and while your there all smokers should where black and only come out at night time as well, that would be a good idea.

Smoking is and will be here for a very long time, happened before our time and was ok then so whats changed here. I will tell you people have so much to say these days on the phone internet etc etc, so in the past people just put up with things like smoking.

Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Wade in the Sea

positron wrote: »
    As a non-smoker I dislike the smell and the sight of people puffing away at bus shelters, railway stations etc, at times with no consideration for people around them, and then there's the litter - I read somewhere that more than half of all litter in our cities and towns are cigarette butts! And the most important benefit from any step to discourage smoking is it's effect on nations health - healthier, more productive people and less cancer, stroke cases to hospitals around the country - which is more money saved.

Based on the above it sounds like a win-win for everyone, except of course the initial discomfort to smokers, and probably tobacco industry might take another small hit (small as people will continue to smoke at their homes or whatever).

Any thoughts?

Yes your rights do not supersede others just because you think they do!

caseyann wrote: »
    And you use your sarcasm and i use mine ;)

Ok

This is not against you, this is just what i feel at the time. You know no matter what we say here is not going to cahnge jack, and people do have the freedom to say waht they want and thats good, but smoking has and will be around for a long time. So why change it

Michael

• Advertisement

Ok

This is not against you, this is just what i feel at the time. You know no matter what we say here is not going to cahnge jack, and people do have the freedom to say waht they want and thats good, but smoking has and will be around for a long time. So why change it

Michael

Ofc it will and i am saying the ridiculous intention of banning it in public is ludicrous.They are banned to the outside and then banned from the outside to home only.If that was the case they should just ban it full stop and stop selling smokes.

Ofc it will and i am saying the ridiculous intention of banning it in public is ludicrous.They are banned to the outside and then banned from the outside to home only.If that was the case they should just ban it full stop and stop selling smokes.

So its a total ban from you and nothing else. Is that the case, well if your in a position of power here in Ireland then we are in trouble, thats all the smokers i mean.

Michael

So its a total ban from you and nothing else. Is that the case, well if your in a position of power here in Ireland then we are in trouble, thats all the smokers i mean.

Michael

Yep you will be made breathe normal air and not smell of smoke again,never to run out and smell it and think oh that smells nice i would love one buahahahaha:D

Yep you will be made breathe normal air and not smell of smoke again,never to run out and smell it and think oh that smells nice i would love one buahahahaha:D

Well Ann

I will look for you in the next general election and if I see you winning there at least I know whats coming, and will start packing my bag's

Michael

Well Ann

I will look for you in the next general election and if I see you winning there at least I know whats coming, and will start packing my bag's

Michael

You love your smoking sorry i wont Tease anymore,i do not agree with a public ban outside,my point is sarcasm about the whole idea of it.
    You cant sit at your front door have a smoke or go to park and relax and have a smoke if you want one.Control,what will be next ban people will consider.

• Advertisement

You love your smoking sorry i wont Tease anymore,i do not agree with a public ban outside,my point is sarcasm about the whole idea of it.
    You cant sit at your front door have a smoke or go to park and relax and have a smoke if you want one.Control,what will be next ban people will consider.

And there is nothing like a good smoke after doing it, all smokers will relate to that one. Sometimes taken outdoors as well.

Michael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭gavitron22

would banning it not be sorta unconstitutional? personal freedoms and all? i mean if people can smoke joints and prostitutes (ye, smoke prostitues), not here i know but under the lisbon treaty we're all under the one thing right? so surely a total ban would have to be in some way unconstitutional...?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

And, phew, I have seen ONE good argument against the idea - that idea about the duty from smoking being higher than the cost of treating smoking related illnesses.

Ok, let's give this a shot:
    - Demanding that people cannot smoke outside on public property because the concept displeases you slightly is tyrannical. I find it odd that I need to explain to you that removing people's rights based on your own whim is a "bad thing".

- The fact that forcing people to stop smoking would be good for them is irrelevant. One could make the exact same argument in relation to: Alcohol, fatty foods, sugary foods, non-public transport, inactive lifestyles, poor relationship choices etc. By your logic you should be allowed to force everyone to go to the gym and have a healthy diet with no indulgence foods.

- If litter is a problem then we should properly enforce anti-littering laws. People throwing butts on the ground causes litter, not people smoking cigarettes.
    Based on the votes, looks like the idea is probably a bit too early of it's time - but I do feel strongly that this will be done at some stage sooner or later. And Ireland won't be the first country to do this - Smoking in public is already banned in a number of South American nations, India etc (although enforcement may not that vigorous).

I think you're getting very confused. Many countries have banned smoking in enclosed public spaces. Beyond a couple very specific examples (not within X meters of a door, within a bus shelter etc), no one anywhere has issued unilateral prohibition of smoking in public spaces.

So basically your entire proposal is an ill thought out piece of fascist nonesense. It's not that we're "not ready", is that your argument is bloody awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭gavitron22

Zillah wrote: »
    - Demanding that people cannot smoke outside on public property because the concept displeases you slightly is tyrannical. I find it odd that I need to explain to you that removing people's rights based on your own whim is a "bad thing".

- The fact that forcing people to stop smoking would be good for them is irrelevant. One could make the exact same argument in relation to: Alcohol, fatty foods, sugary foods, non-public transport, inactive lifestyles, poor relationship choices etc. By your logic you should be allowed to force everyone to go to the gym and have a healthy diet with no indulgence foods.

- If litter is a problem then we should properly enforce anti-littering laws. People throwing butts on the ground causes litter, not people smoking cigarettes.

I think you're getting very confused. Many countries have banned smoking in enclosed public spaces. Beyond a couple very specific examples (not within X meters of a door, within a bus shelter etc), no one anywhere has issued unilateral prohibition of smoking in public spaces.

So basically your entire proposal is an ill thought out piece of fascist nonesense. It's not that we're "not ready", is that your argument is bloody awful.

i like this guy. :cool:

Okay, I see the trend in voting.

Based on the votes, looks like the idea is probably a bit too early of it's time - but I do feel strongly that this will be done at some stage sooner or later. And Ireland won't be the first country to do this - Smoking in public is already banned in a number of South American nations, India etc (although enforcement may not that vigorous).

Good God:eek: Did you read this before you posted it? So we are to use the majority opinion on a SOCIAL question to curb the rights of a minority from doing something that is entirely legal. And to back up your "FORWARD" thinking idea you revere countries in South America (those paragons of free thinking liberalism) and India (who have the audacity to have a space program while sizable parts of it's population live on the verge of malnutrition) for taking this oppressive action first???????????
    :confused:

Good God:eek: Did you read this before you posted it? So we are to use the majority opinion on a SOCIAL question to curb the rights of a minority from doing something that is entirely legal. And to back up your "FORWARD" thinking idea you revere countries in South American (those paragons of free thinking liberalism) and India (who have the audacity to have a space program while sizable parts of it's population live on the verge of malnutrition)
    :confused:

I don't know what he's going on about in relation to South America, but in reference to India he is probably getting confused about the "smoke-free" city of Chandigarh. It is only smoke-free in the sense that our entire country is smoke-free, ie, enclosed places like bars and restaurants. And it's not even being enforced. Why he leapt to the conclusion that this meant no smoking on the street I have no idea, especially considering that in the rest of India you can walk around smoking a fag in the bank or tax office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I agree with op. I hate fags and the people that smoke them. They have no idea how bad they smell after smoking. I have smoking banned around my yard/offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Ban all smoking everywhere. Even in people's own homes as it hurts the re-sale value. Random police spot-checks will help to regulate this.

This will force smokers into underground "smoke-easies" which the police will be aware of but afraid to penetrate due to heavy influence of the heavies.

Then after about 18 months everyone will simultaniously decide "Ah, :mad: it!" and everything will go back to the way it is now. So, nothing will change but boy will it be a fun ride.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

SARASON wrote: »
    I agree with op. I hate fags and the people that smoke them. They have no idea how bad they smell after smoking. I have smoking banned around my yard/offices.

I hate you too baby ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

"since when are fat people a hinderence to your health?"
    no but it's a hinderance to their health,

So? Their habbits, condition etc etc does not effect me, so why should I give a damn?
    which costs money and stuff, which is a lot of what the negative view of smoking from this thread is about, so it's not actually that bad of an example,

It's an extremely bad example as it does not relate to the situation one bit.
    in fact if you look at how many people are overwieght probably much more than those smoke, and these will have a lot of the same sicknesses normally associated with smokers, so, seriously ban fat people?

That's something they have to deal with, but you being fat doesn't effect my health, does it?
    also, you could then ban sweets and things like that, cos the fat people wouldn't be there to eat them and the rappers wouldn't be there to cause litter, so that would be both tackled, why not do that? :rolleyes:

Another rediculous analagy. Why would you ban sweets? It's not about what it does to the smoker, fat person, it's about what it does to people who do not smoke and their rights. Smoke all you want, be filthy, get cancer, stink, have horrid staind teath, I honestly don't care, but at the very least, have some common courtesy and allow me breath the air minus your exhaled smoke.
    Yes this would be a good idea as well "Designated smoking areas" and while your there all smokers should where black and only come out at night time as well, that would be a good idea.

Designated smoking areas has logical reasoning, your attempt at scarcasim fails.
    Smoking is and will be here for a very long time, happened before our time and was ok then so whats changed here. I will tell you people have so much to say these days on the phone internet etc etc, so in the past people just put up with things like smoking.

Michael

Again, this kind of logic is confusing. "just put up with it"... pathetic argument. I couldn't give a damn if you smoke or not, just do it elsewhere and not hinder other people. I guess we should just put up with the practice of the HSE, government policies etc etc, you know, it's been happening for a long time, we should just "put up with it"...
    Yes your rights do not supersede others just because you think they do!

How about the fundamental right to breath fresh air? I think that is a right belonging to everybody.
    Ok

Michael

Where is the logic in this post? Why change anything if that's the case...??? Thing is, most people have been educated as to what smoking can do to your body, the dangers of smoking etc etc.
    would banning it not be sorta unconstitutional? personal freedoms and all? i mean if people can smoke joints and prostitutes (ye, smoke prostitues), not here i know but under the lisbon treaty we're all under the one thing right? so surely a total ban would have to be in some way unconstitutional...?

Unconstitutional? How about non smokers rights to breath air that does not contain your smoke? People CAN'T smoke joints, it's illegal. Smoking prostitutes? WTF is that? Smoke in your own home by all means. Oh and then there's the selfish parents who smoke around young children, now that's just ignorant.
    Zillah wrote: »

I see you like to change what people say. Do you work for the Sun or the Daily Mail? "Slightly" lol... "Tyrannical"... lol. The rights of the smoker.... boo hoo, what about the rights of everybody else?

More sensationalist crap... The suggestion is to ban smoking in public areas, not an outright ban. Some suggested it, but that is not what the thread is about. It's a fair suggestion, but no to the smoker as they don't give a shít about the person next to them, do they?

You will find that if people don't smoke in a public place, the litter problem will not be a problem ;)

Ill thought? Facist? Nonsense? These words do not strenghten your argument one bit. Just to prove you wrong ;)

Wiki link

It causes more problems than what is suggested in this thread. Certain areas of the world would suffer from bush and forest fires. Killing people and burning down homes, but don't let that get in your way of your "right" to smoke outside. Don't let the lives of others effect your lifestyle choice...

California smoking ban proposal

I hope they get this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

So? Their habbits, condition etc etc does not effect me, so why should I give a damn?

It's an extremely bad example as it does not relate to the situation one bit.

That's something they have to deal with, but you being fat doesn't effect my health, does it?

Another rediculous analagy. Why would you ban sweets? It's not about what it does to the smoker, fat person, it's about what it does to people who do not smoke and their rights. Smoke all you want, be filthy, get cancer, stink, have horrid staind teath, I honestly don't care, but at the very least, have some common courtesy and allow me breath the air minus your exhaled smoke.

Designated smoking areas has logical reasoning, your attempt at scarcasim fails.

Again, this kind of logic is confusing. "just put up with it"... pathetic argument. I couldn't give a damn if you smoke or not, just do it elsewhere and not hinder other people. I guess we should just put up with the practice of the HSE, government policies etc etc, you know, it's been happening for a long time, we should just "put up with it"...

How about the fundamental right to breath fresh air? I think that is a right belonging to everybody.

Where is the logic in this post? Why change anything if that's the case...??? Thing is, most people have been educated as to what smoking can do to your body, the dangers of smoking etc etc.

Unconstitutional? How about non smokers rights to breath air that does not contain your smoke? People CAN'T smoke joints, it's illegal. Smoking prostitutes? WTF is that? Smoke in your own home by all means. Oh and then there's the selfish parents who smoke around young children, now that's just ignorant.

I see you like to change what people say. Do you work for the Sun or the Daily Mail? "Slightly" lol... "Tyrannical"... lol. The rights of the smoker.... boo hoo, what about the rights of everybody else?

More sensationalist crap... The suggestion is to ban smoking in public areas, not an outright ban. Some suggested it, but that is not what the thread is about. It's a fair suggestion, but no to the smoker as they don't give a shít about the person next to them, do they?

You will find that if people don't smoke in a public place, the litter problem will not be a problem ;)

Ill thought? Facist? Nonsense? These words do not strenghten your argument one bit. Just to prove you wrong ;)

Wiki link

It causes more problems than what is suggested in this thread. Certain areas of the world would suffer from bush and forest fires. Killing people and burning down homes, but don't let that get in your way of your "right" to smoke outside. Don't let the lives of others effect your lifestyle choice...

California smoking ban proposal

I hope they get this.

Last time i saw you was in a smoking area, smoking one of my fags.

Did you quit , congrats !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

So? Their habbits, (....) they get this.

More redirected anger....sad in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Iamxavier, I would agree with you to a certain extent. You do have the right to breath as much fresh air as you want. And yes, designated smoking areas away from the main entrances and such would be a very good idea and I'm all for that. The point is, public areas like bus stops and train stations are not exceedingly small. I wouldnt even mind a designated smoking area in a train station.

The point is that you cannot simply cozy up to someone at a train station who is having a smoke, stand right next to them when you could stand anywhere else and then ask them to put their cigarette out because its bothering you.

Don't have anything to say about the litter issue as you're right on that one with about half of all litter being cigarette litter.

And what about your neighbors if you happen to be a smoker? Should they have the right to knock on your door and ask you to stop smoking because you smoke in their general vicinity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

tempura wrote: »
    Last time i saw you was in a smoking area, smoking one of my fags.

Did you quit , congrats !

Why did you quote that entire post just to respond with two lines of text?! It was right above your own!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

Morkarleth wrote: »
    Why did you quote that entire post just to respond with two lines of text?! It was right above your own!

Because if felt like it.

Ban all smoking everywhere. Even in people's own homes as it hurts the re-sale value. Random police spot-checks will help to regulate this.

This will force smokers into underground "smoke-easies" which the police will be aware of but afraid to penetrate due to heavy influence of the heavies.

Then after about 18 months everyone will simultaniously decide "Ah, :mad: it!" and everything will go back to the way it is now. So, nothing will change but boy will it be a fun ride.

Well after all this smoking talk im giving up lol

Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

I didn't see it mentioned; enforcing a ban on smoking outdoors would be almost impossible without huge CCTV installations and a ridiculous waste of the police force's time.

It might if they fell on you!

Smoke all you want, be filthy, get cancer, stink, have horrid staind teath, I honestly don't care, :(bit harsh?

......but at the very least, have some common courtesy and allow me breath the air minus your exhaled smoke. What about farts? How do you feel about breathing my farts?

Designated smoking areas has logical reasoning. Yes they do. It's called the open air, where it rains and it's cold, and now you would like those cleansed too?

How about the fundamental right to breath fresh air? I think that is a right belonging to everybody. It is and nobody is taking that away from you, unlike you who wants smokers rights infringed to suit your social convenience.

You will find that if people don't smoke in a public place, the litter problem will not be a problem. You could shoot them. This would solve the problem too.

California smoking ban proposal: LOL!

:P

Oh, right, ye olde "boo hoo" argument. That's reasonable. I didn't misquote anyone. Everybody else has their rights, smokers are banned from smoking in enclosed spaces where secondhand smoke is an issue. We're talking about outside where it is not an issue. You can lol lol all you like but it doesn't actually support anything you're saying.

We're talking about outside here. Take two steps out of the direction the wind is blowing and suddenly you have nothing to get hysterical about.

So would banning all packaging for anything, locking everyone inside their homes or just exterminating the human race. The point being, the fact that it would achieve the desire "less litter" doesn't neccessarily mean it's a reasonable proposition.

I suppose I should just put *wink* *wink* *wink* in my post, that's a much better way to make an argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

As a non-smoker I dislike the smell and the sight of people puffing away at bus shelters, railway stations etc, at times with no consideration for people around them, and then there's the litter - I read somewhere that more than half of all litter in our cities and towns are cigarette butts! And the most important benefit from any step to discourage smoking is it's effect on nations health - healthier, more productive people and less cancer, stroke cases to hospitals around the country - which is more money saved.

Based on the above it sounds like a win-win for everyone, except of course the initial discomfort to smokers, and probably tobacco industry might take another small hit (small as people will continue to smoke at their homes or whatever).

Any thoughts?

Yeah why not make your own placard: "I want to live forever" and march up and down O'Connel St!:mad:

Advertisement