Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debate : Do you think we will have a man return to the Moon by 2020?

Options
  • 03-07-2010 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

NASA has stated on several occasions that they plan to return a man to the Moon by 2020.
    Other nations like India and China also have similar plans.
    Just wondering does anyone else think this is a possibility, or would you say that budget cuts might push the date back?
    Personally I want to see it happen. I want to know what it was like when the whole world witnessed the Apollo Missions in 1969-1972.
    Any opinions appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

karaokeman wrote: »
    NASA has stated on several occasions that they plan to return a man to the Moon by 2020.
    Other nations like India and China also have similar plans.
    Just wondering does anyone else think this is a possibility, or would you say that budget cuts might push the date back?
    Personally I want to see it happen. I want to know what it was like when the whole world witnessed the Apollo Missions in 1969-1972.
    Any opinions appreciated.
    It will happen but not a chance before 2020. 2030 maybe but I would not hold your breath:(
    Lots of enthusiasm for the idea but lack of money and policital will to long term projects, make it no more than a dream for now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No way, no men on the moon by 2020, at least no european/US men anyhow.

Could be, however, that we may see greater co-operation and have a multinational voyage to the moon and mars in the middle of the century.

The next 10 years will probably see technologies being proofed in robotic missions to the moon and mars, energy, water retrieval, landing habitats there, automated construction techniques, maybe waystation food/fuel in orbit via unmanned vehicles.

So much to do, no time between now and 2020, maybe had Bush not been in power and if things hadn't erupted between muslim extremists and the rest of the world we would have seen efforts concentrated on getting off the 3rd rock from the sun, but who knows.

Of course, if we see some leap in technology, propulsion, AI, fuel.
    If some private company decides to mine the asteroids or other commercial purposes outside LEO, then we could see manned exploration of the moon and further becoming more like prospecting, and said space exploration would take a whole new direction, not relying on nations to fund it, but rather the desire for profit, which always seems to be a great motivator, don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The Chinese are throwing a lot of resources at Spaceflight right now. They're learning the hard way with a lot of failures but i don't think it'll be long before they get it right. I'd expect to see China or possibly India return to the Moon before US/EU/Russia do.

The Moon was one of the objectives of the Constellation programme set out by Bush but has since been canned. I don't expect to see the US go near the Moon for a long time tbh. I'd love to see it myself. I was born 2 years after the last Apollo mission,would love to see man land on the moon in HI-Def and modern imaging equipment. Sadly i can't see it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

No, I don't see it being that soon. China do seem to be focusing on manned flight and have goals set for a space lab and space station. Would be great if they could make it to the moon, but don't see it being before 2020. The US have switched away from the moon so don't see them going back any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Not before 2020, its just too expensive at the moment. The next man on the moon will not be American/European - but definitely Asian. 2030/2040 Id guess at.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

These forums, they're like diametrically opposed to the Christianity pages aren't they? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

If they find traces of desirable minerals on mars we'll see men on the moon building a launch station before you can say 'there goes the neighbourhood'. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Technically, we cannot get to the moon - as in tomorrow or next week.

The Saturn V was the only rocket capable of getting to the moon. After the Apollo missions, the manuals needed to make the rocket disappeared as souvenirs. Bits and pieces were sold off and sent to museums.

Thus, we do not have an operable Saturn V nor could we replicate it, assuming we wanted to, with the original design.

Indeed, we have the space shuttle. However, it is a low earth orbiter. Its tanks cannot propel an STS to the moon.

Of course, this is just a matter of design. However, 2020 is not that far away. So in addition to the political and budgetary constraints, throw in some technical.

"Could" we do it, sure, no problem. "Will" we do it, I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

theBouldWhacker,
    I understand what you are implying, however, there better be more than trace minerals on Mars to justify a mission. Perhaps, an asteroid of platinum could justify the cost.

I think I heard that it costs $10,000 to get a gallon of water into orbit. Imagine what a trip to Mars would cost.

It is kind of like particle Physics. We can turn [incredibly small] amounts of lead into Gold. However, it is soooooo expensive, you might as well go out and buy gold.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    These forums, they're like diametrically opposed to the Christianity pages aren't they? :)
    This forum is about facts and the truth about the universe. The Christianity forum is about dreams and fantasy:) In the words of the great Carl Sagan "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion however satisfying and reassuring"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

@Beeker, drop the "Big Book of Carl Sagan Quotes" and move away from the key board.:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

The US manned lunar programme took about 8 years to land someone on the moon, but that was at an unbelievably frenzied pace due to the cold war space race.

If there's going to be another manned moon landing, it is going to be a much slower cautious affair. The political motivation to do anything like the 1960's programme just isn't there.

This would all change if there was an ideology radically different from that in the US that was credibly embarking on a moon landing project, but that is not the case. Russia are content with Soyuz launches and China only have had one manned flight and the ideological differences aren't what they once were.

@Beeker, drop the "Big Book of Carl Sagan Quotes" and move away from the key board.:D:D
    But I thought Carl Sagan was GOD!!!!:eek::D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Im sure he is :D

Conor108 wrote: »
    Im sure he is :D

This is the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Going back to the original question, I want to be pedantic by saying that your question should actually be:

"Debate : Do you think we will have a human return to the Moon by 2020?"

...It might be woman, and not a man.

I don't beieve NASA will have a human on the moon by 2020, but CHina certainly will. India might follow shortly thereafter, but NASA is about to enter a 'lull' period right now. They have built up to bureaucracy in their 50 or so years in existence, whereas the Chinese ganecy is much younger and more 'free/flexible'. Plus, where's all the money in the world gone to? - China

Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

I don't believe that man was ever on the moon. Those fake pics of the flag waving in the wind did it for me.

Warning Issued:
    5. Please do not post anything related to conspiracy theory in the forum, there is a dedicated forum for this on boards, a forum ban will be issued for non compliance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

No conspiracy posts please, as these always result in a shouting match and end up way off topic, there is a conspiracy theory forum on boards.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

Im truly sorry my fault, Just scrolling through boards and got trigger happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

Even if Nasa doesn't make it back soon, they have released a game so you can at least pretend astronauts are on the moon

It's out today, and i think its a multiplayer online game, where you simulate maintaining a moonbase.
    You will need Steam to run it.
    More info:
    http://www.nasa.gov/offices/education/programs/national/ltp/games/moonbasealpha/index.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement