Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

George Lee Presenting The Business : Sat July 3rd 2010

• 03-07-2010 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Well what did ye make of his performance. Thought he did quite well. Him discussing Government taxing policy is certainly a conflict of interest, though I guess it's hard to know what way he's conflicted at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

did not listen to him might try the rte player. But really the guy has some neck like mr hobbs of the I told you so brigade. ..... I dont like it here in the dail take me back please RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

I wonder will the throw another tantrum if he doesn't get Pat Kenny's show by xmas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Did it retain the light entertainment side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Did it retain the light entertainment side?

hard to say.. George had two businesses in to give a spiel in one minute, with Mickey Harte (Tyrone Manager and Motivational Speaker) judging which one was the best. George had a vuvuzela, which he would blow to indicate that the one minute..... which I guess we were meant to find hilarious, but was in truth a bit awkward.

I think he may struggle to bring personality to the show. Like Mary Wilson and Miriam O'Callaghan, he was working a long time in the news department where you are not allowed to show any personality. And like both of these, he may struggle to rediscover the personality that he's been suppressing for so long...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Didn't really do anything for me at all. Weak. Hard act to follow, so let's give him a chance. I think after about three shows we'll know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

good point uvox I will listen over the weekend and see what I think of him on the programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I threw an ear across it....i'll give him a few weeks. first day in any gig is always tough..

did anyone else notice how he signed off? he said it was a "such and such" Production for RTE radio 1

first time i've heard a radio 1 show produced independently...i wonder what the deal is? george's own company perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Plowman wrote: »

I thought that if he returned within the year of his leave of absence he would be okay, but apparently there is a bit of ambiguity about his current status.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/lee-finally-returns-to-rte-as-an-independent-on-radio-2234516.html
    FORMER Fine Gael TD George Lee has found himself at the centre of yet another controversy as he prepares for his return to RTE.

The Irish Independent has learned the former economics editor's return to the airwaves will count towards RTE's quota of "independent programming" -- even though he remains on the national broadcaster's payroll.

His new summer slot is one of the first two shows commissioned under RTE's newly launched Independent Radio Productions (IRP) unit.

The IRP was set up in April and the national broadcaster has vowed to spend €500,000 on the first round of awards.

The initiative was widely welcomed by the industry, but a storm is now brewing over the award to Mr Lee's new show.

"There's nothing in the rules that says you can't use an RTE presenter, but it runs completely contrary to the ethos and the spirit of the scheme," one independent producer said. "The idea was to have more diversity."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I thought he was dreadful. I was a fan of George Lee previously, but that was when he delivered reports and comment. As a presenter he was wooden and his converstional skills were awful. He doesn't suit this type of show.
    The 2 counties plugging their business in a minute was so poor.
    I'll give it another week or so but on this weeks performance I'll be switching off.

Very poor show today, stupid text comps. economics waffle and no "down to actual business"

Newstalk's buisiness show is the one for me now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

It's weak and too 'fluffy' to be taken seriously as a business show. George Lee is trying to be lighthearted but comes across (like most economists) as not having a sense of humour - though following his dalliance into politics last yaer we know he must have some sense of humour.

It's weak and too 'fluffy' to be taken seriously as a business show. George Lee is trying to be lighthearted but comes across (like most economists) as not having a sense of humour - though following his dalliance into politics last yaer we know he must have some sense of humour.

+1
    It's not a serious business show. That stuipd "pitch" thing at the end is a load of rubbish.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I heard about 10 seconds of it, in which he got somebody's name wrong and sounded like he hated what he was doing. He's not very good at this (so far anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

dambarude wrote: »
    I heard about 10 seconds of it, in which he got somebody's name wrong and sounded like he hated what he was doing. He's not very good at this (so far anyway).

Not good at all IMO - but but but, would you bet against him being the next MD for RTE :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I haven't heard this yet (bar the last few mins of today show). Here we tend to focus of the hapless qualities of the presenter(s), understandably. But what about those behind the glass? If a format ain't working its the producer who needs to be taken to task first and foremost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

mike65 wrote: »
    I haven't heard this yet (bar the last few mins of today show). Here we tend to focus of the hapless qualities of the presenter(s), understandably. But what about those behind the glass? If a format ain't working its the producer who needs to be taken to task first and foremost.

Nobodies going to save Lee, even if he improves (doubtful) he's still tainted goods and can't apply himself to his only area of expertise. He'd be better off doing research or making the tea.

I think that is a fair point. Who knows what investment is put into the research and production of this show? It is poor, but he's not in this alone. Interesting to see if the show soldiers on without changes being made...

dh0661 wrote: »
    Not good at all IMO - but but but, would you bet against him being the next MD for RTE :eek:

Unlikely. All he has to do is keep the seat warm for the return of the insufferable Mark Little to RTE to host a 'technology show'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Very poor so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Chocolate T pot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I really enjoyed the tone, presentation and format of The Business when it was hosted by Murray.
    On the two occassions I have listened to Lee present I have found it average. Not running for the dial to change stuff, just background filler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whats the point of this programme?

Someone is playing a Funny Friday style satirical song! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Whats the point of this programme?

Someone is playing a Funny Friday style satirical song! :mad:
    Agreed. The show is all over the place, it's not sure what kinda show it is.

The first 15 minutes was Joe Rooney talking about "the comedy business".
    Joe has been on every station this week talking about Fr ted, stand-up, Killinascully etc. Pretty much the same interveiw over.

Talkin about the eurovision or something now
    It's gone to the dogs, I'll tune in to newstalk for proper biz show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

It's rubbish, pure and simple! No redeeming factors at all. But what could we expect? They had a spare slot and they had George sitting around scratching his wotsits after his tantrum in the Dail. Typical!
    George Lee is not a presenter, he's a journalist with some reporting experience and, let's face it, while he was a good analyst he's hasn't a great presence on-air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I gave it another listen this morning...the second time I've tuned in. Not impressed at all

He kept lobbing up stuff for yer man tylak in the hopes he'd make something funny out of it, which he didn't.

Brendan Keenan sounded like he was wondering what the hell was going on. he probably owed george one.

i'm not going to bother anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Yes me too, George had no credibility, just going through the motions.

RTE are so stupid to think the public would warm to him after the FG debacle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Believer

I'm inclined to agree with the general gist of what people are saying. I had the height of respect for George in his previous positon, but I just don't think this current format of the lighthearted business programme suits him.

Tuned in this morning, it's getting worse, really amateurish today.

Why is Joe Rooney on a business show every week?

Here's a radical idea for RTE:

WTF don't you get someone with business experience to host a show about business!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Poly wrote: »
    Tuned in this morning, it's getting worse, really amateurish today.

Why is Joe Rooney on a business show every week?

Here's a radical idea for RTE:

WTF don't you get someone with business experience to host a show about business!
    It's not really a business show. If it was it would be discussing the latet market trends and other serious business matters not the fluffy rubbish they're blabbing on about. And they're paying a production company for this rubbish? Scandalous!

Agree with most of the opinions here (especially since half the posts are mine, lol).... I think the format of the show doesnt really work. Like the guys said above, there is little or nothing about the real business world. Although the show, for what it is, did seem to flow better with John Murray at the wheel.

That bit where they have Mickey Harte (:confused: would it not be more appropriate to get Bill Cullen or the like) judging sales pitches really grates on me..

All they have to do is tune in to Newstalk and hear how a show about business is supposed to work.

It's not rocket surgery.
    In fact, I'd say if newstalk re-scheduled their biz show to compete with George, they would win hands down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

lol great spot

be careful of the knives and daggers when you are out with the apple cart...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

It's not really a business show. If it was it would be discussing the latet market trends and other serious business matters not the fluffy rubbish they're blabbing on about. And they're paying a production company for this rubbish? Scandalous!

What company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Heard some of his show yesterday, had to switch it off due to the poor presentation skills of Lee, a student would have done a better job! He seems to have lost his mojo since he flip-flopped from RTE to FG and back again and maybe he just aint cut out for radio anyway!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Impartial or not, I'm beginning to think he should be made Economics editor again. His replacement Seán Whelan isn't half as good as he was. George had a background suited to the position, Whelan does not. Seán Whelan is quite good at 'fluffy' pieces- maybe they could do a direct swap.

Not that any of that will happen while George is still in quarantine.

• Advertisement

You'd wanna be careful Plowman.. I got a yellow card earlier for using humour, I think using a mixed Bert-aphor constitutes a lifetime ban... :)
    dambarude wrote: »
    Impartial or not, I'm beginning to think he should be made Economics editor again.

I'd never thought about him being catapulted straight back in to Economics again.. since he was supposed to be "licking stamps". But considering RTE are going to capitalize somehow on his celebrity/popularity, it would be better if they did throw him in where he could demonstrate somecompetence.

Considering that
    a) George probably hates FG more than FF at this stage and
    b) RTE had no problem installing an ógra Fianna Fáiler in charge of it's flagship TV and radio shows....
    I dont think anybody in FF can have any problem with him George being back in the economics department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Heard this for the first time yesterday I think. A really awful program in very many aspects.

The production must be run by students and he is, I dont think in anyway, a good presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Tinker13

I used to like this programme but now it has become so boooring. George for president?

Tinker13 wrote: »
    I used to like this programme but now it has become so boooring. George for president?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing as I listened to it... Like one big economics report.. I think George was trying really hard to give the show some personality in the first few weeks, but he seems to have reverted to the old George now... Still have no idea what Joe Rooney is doing on the show.. I like him, but doesnt contribute anything to a business show..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Today FM's sunday business show really puts this offering to shame. I didn't mind it really before they let Lee back on it...the previous presenter (John Murray) was fairly competent, but Lee IMO has brought too much baggage back from his sojourn in DE, sounds almost bored with his lot and as mentioned above, the meat of the show isn't there in the amounts it should be on a show about business, stockmarkets and economics in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

The guy has lost any credibility he had. simple as that

My blood is boiling listening to this pair of muppets.... One of them is 2 million in debt to the bank with his properties, having advised hundreds of people (who are now in debt also) with his "property investors" group, is still pontificating to people about the property industry....

Idiots like these two are the reason why the bubble happened, and why decent people couldnt buy houses during the boom. Why RTE gave them air time is beyond me... I nearly wish they had Liz O'Kane back..

Advertisement