Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chess in a Dublin pub....

Options
  • 03-07-2010 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I want to play chess with a friend of mine in some pub in Dublin city centre.. but where? I don't think I've ever seen it...... any tips would be helpful, thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

dav1b wrote: »
    I want to play chess with a friend of mine in some pub in Dublin city centre.. but where? I don't think I've ever seen it...... any tips would be helpful, thanks!!

There is a Pub called neds on townsend street where you can play chess. You used to at least

The quill on the quays does too but I think it's now closed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Could you not just bring your own board with you and play in any pub in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I know a few places in Galway with boards behind the bar, none in Dublin though.

I do remember this was asked before, might help?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055315507&page=2

Buy a cheap set in Symths Toy store or Argos and you'll have it for life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

weiland79 wrote: »
    Could you not just bring your own board with you and play in any pub in Dublin.

Exactly. No one will bother ye and the pub will be glad of the custom. Tactics go to feck after 6 jars though:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

davrho wrote: »
    Exactly. No one will bother ye and the pub will be glad of the custom. Tactics go to feck after 6 jars though:pac:

Thats assuming you had a knowledge of tactics in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

dav1b wrote: »
    ... any tips would be helpful, thanks!!

Try the King's Gambit once in a while. The Sicilian is often good for black.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

few cans and a chess board in stephens green?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Buy a chess set and just walk into any pub in the country.

Really not that hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

the ivy house in drumcondra have all sorts of games where you just have to put a deposit on (~€5) including chess

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from After Hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The Pale on High Street, and Darkey Kellys on Fishamble St have regular chess players.

You can checkout Darkey Kellys on facebook, not sure about The Pale.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cozski

Buy a chess set and just walk into any pub in the country.

Really not that hard.

...just walk straight in to any pub with a chess board? Are you serious?? I know plenty of places that'd bar you for that!

cozski wrote: »
    ...just walk straight in to any pub with a chess board? Are you serious?? I know plenty of places that'd bar you for that!
    I highly doubt that.

Why?
    You're a paying customer and so is your friend.
    You'll buy a few drinks, possibly some bar food and it's not like you're causing trouble or demanding sky sports to be switched on.

No pub is going to turn away paying customers who fancy playing chess some afternoon

Why?
    You're a paying customer and so is your friend.
    You'll buy a few drinks, possibly some bar food and it's not like you're causing trouble or demanding sky sports to be switched on.

No pub is going to turn away paying customers who fancy playing chess some afternoon

I wouldn't count on it! But sure give it a go and see what happens.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Could you name a few? I don't know of any myself.

The International has a chess set behind the bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I wouldn't count on it! But sure give it a go and see what happens.

So which places would bar you for bringing in a chess set?

amcalester wrote: »
    So which places would bar you for bringing in a chess set?

The Lord Edward, Bar Bia, O Neils, Hartigans, Ceol, Oliver Johns, Hughes, Eugenes.... maybe... just a thought.

I can't understand this at all.
    And if the OP and their friend gets refused in a Dublin pub I hope they reply back and name and shame.

You've given a detailed list there so I'll take your word for it

What next? Next I'll be barred for sitting on my own with a pint and reading my newspaper....

I can't understand this at all.
    And if the OP and their friend gets refused in a Dublin pub I hope they reply back and name and shame.

You've given a detailed list there so I'll take your word for it

What next? Next I'll be barred for sitting on my own with a pint and reading my newspaper....

I think it makes sense. I can think of several harmless leisurely activities that you wouldn't want to encourage in the pub, or certain pubs.Although these particular pubs might not... i guess you just gotta try it and find out.

• Advertisement

The Lord Edward, Bar Bia, O Neils, Hartigans, Ceol, Oliver Johns, Hughes, Eugenes.... maybe... just a thought.

I seriously doubt those pubs would bar you for trying to play chess.

Why do you think they would? Is there something sinister about playing chess that I dont know about?

Although these particular pubs might not...

Well they either will or they won't, which is it? Or are you just making assumptions?

I think it makes sense. I can think of several harmless leisurely activities that you wouldn't want to encourage in the pub, or certain pubs.Although these particular pubs might not... i guess you just gotta try it and find out.

But which pubs that you know of would bar you for trying playing chess?

I'm don't want to badger you, I'm just interested. I can see what you mean about not wanting to encourage certain leisurely activities. Poker is 1 I hate to see people start playing when I'm working, it only lasts 30 minutes before it turns into a ruckus. I cant see that happening in a chess match though.

Well they either will or they won't, which is it? Or are you just making assumptions?

Well obviously I'm making an assumption but based on what I know of them. I never walked into any of them with a chess board so I dont know based on empirical evidence. Why don't you try then you wont have to ask me for a definitive answer. But i know this... if you'd have walked into my parents pub and pulled out a chess board you'd have been asked to put it away... and if you didnt you'd be barred.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

Well obviously I'm making an assumption but based on what I know of them. I never walked into any of them with a chess board so I dont know based on empirical evidence. Why don't you try then you wont have to ask me for a definitive answer. But i know this... if you'd have walked into my parents pub and pulled out a chess board you'd have been asked to put it away... and if you didnt you'd be barred.

Well that sounds like a shít pub.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Right Cozki I'm going to try those pubs over the next month. For sure there are three on the list that I in no way could imagine being thrown out for playing chess.

I can't imagine it an issue in any of them and yes, I will take photos.

I do think the problem may well just be your parents and the way they run a bar.

I'll go a fiver a pub if you want? Money where your speculation is mate?

IRcolm wrote: »
    Well that sounds like a shít pub.

Well maybe it does... but it had a particular clientele and they just wouldn't have wanted folks dandering in with a Chess board, connect 4, scrabble or any other similar board game. Of course, if you think that's **** you'd probably not stay... which I presume is what you do when you enter most pubs and realise no-ones playing chess.

humberklog wrote: »
    Right Cozki I'm going to try those pubs over the next month. For sure there are three on the list that I in no way could imagine being thrown out for playing chess.

I can't imagine it an issue in any of them and yes, I will take photos.

I do think the problem may well just be your parents and the way they run a bar.

I'll go a fiver a pub if you want? Money where your speculation is mate?

Now that sounds like a perfect way of testing my speculation. Good luck and enjoy. I'll skip the bets though... cheers.

Advertisement