Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building my own (help)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭gamer_Niall

yep im going with a i5-750 =)

coolbreeze will the 64 bit OS restrict me from playing any games? some the games i play in the settings it has like 16 or 32 bit options, i dunno if the 64 bit means it wont work or what, i don't know much about the 2 32 and 64 bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

yep im going with a i5-750 =)

coolbreeze will the 64 bit OS restrict me from playing any games? some the games i play in the settings it has like 16 or 32 bit options, i dunno if the 64 bit means it wont work or what, i don't know much about the 2 32 and 64 bit.

64-Bit OS's can run 32-bit programs, which would include most games :)

The 16-bit and 32-bit options arre probably to do with colour anyway :)

thanks for that man!!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

DaveyDave wrote: »
    A HD5870 is a bit much for 1920x1080. It does well over 60FPS in games like CoD, DiRT 2, STALKER, Far Cry 2, HAWX and Company of Heroes. Maybe look at the HD5850.

That may be the case for todays games but its still nice to know the card will run games decently for a couple of years without needing constant upgrades

im going for the 2gb 5970 now... lol had a bit more cash to spare so y not get the best.

• Advertisement

im going for the 2gb 5970 now... lol had a bit more cash to spare so y not get the best.
    I know that feeling:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Connavar wrote: »
    That may be the case for todays games but its still nice to know the card will run games decently for a couple of years without needing constant upgrades

He'll most likely have to upgrade the 5970 in 2 years or so anyway. And the 5850 is half the price, so when it comes time to upgrade, he can just spend the other €300 on a new card. If he really wants the best he can go for the Asus Ares 4GB.

Well, it's his money he can do what he wants but it kind of defeats the purpose in asking for advice.

He'll most likely have to upgrade the 5970 in 2 years or so anyway. And the 5850 is half the price, so when it comes time to upgrade, he can just spend the other €300 on a new card.

Well, it's his money he can do what he wants but it kind of defeats the purpose in asking for advice.

What I'm saying is that its not pointless. The hd5850 will probably have to be upgraded a considerable amount sooner than the hd5970.
    However I will also say that it would probably work out better cost wise to do as you say getting the 5850.
    It all comes down to weather you are happy upgrading more often (for savings) or not really

Personally I would probably go with the 5870(maybe 5850)

Ps: Sorry if I am just causing confusion with my posts, I am just trying to cover most options

well the pc i have atm is a dell dimension 5150 and the graphics card in that has done the job for the past 5 years... still works great with like 50 of the games i have.

2 years you say id have to upgrade the 5970? i don't think so should last a lot more than that! lol (hopefully)

well the pc i have atm is a dell dimension 5150 and the graphics card in that has done the job for the past 5 years... still works great with like 50 of the games i have.

2 years you say id have to upgrade the 5970? i don't think so should last a lot more than that! lol (hopefully)

I bought my 8800gtx when it was just out and it was the 5970 of the time. It lasted around two and a half years before it started struggling. I'm down to low graphics on Battlefield bad company 2 now.

• Advertisement

THE FINAL BUILD

• _ ATX tower case: Cooler Master HAF 922
    • _ Power Supply:750W
    • _ CPU:i5-750
    • _ ATX Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D - Socket 1156
    • _ RAMimage-462266-5032657:Corsair Dominator 4GB
    • _ Graphics/video card:Radeon HD 5970 2GB
    • _ Hard drive(s): Hitachi Deskstar 1TB
    • _ optical drive (DVD burner or Blu-ray): Sony Optiarc
    • _ Operating System software:Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    • _ Cooling: Scythe Mugen 2

Connavar wrote: »
    I bought my 8800gtx when it was just out and it was the 5970 of the time. It lasted around two and a half years before it started struggling. I'm down to low graphics on Battlefield bad company 2 now.

the games i play aren't too demanding so i should be ok for a couple of years lol :D

I recommend a 1TB Samsung F2 or Western Digital Blue or Black. I've heard nothing but bad things about the Hitatchi Deskstar.

ok thanks for that!

hopefully order it all later today

I recommend a 1TB Samsung F2 or Western Digital Blue or Black. I've heard nothing but bad things about the Hitatchi Deskstar.

what about this?

WD Caviar Green WD10EARS - Hard drive - 1 TB -

internal - 3.5" - SATA-300 - buffer: 64 MB

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The samsung F3 is probably the best and fastest 1TB around and is available for about 70 euro nowadays.

marco_polo wrote: »
    The samsung F3 is probably the best and fastest 1TB around and is available for about 70 euro nowadays.

SamSung F3 it is! thanks man!
    69.95 lol

all ordered :D the waiting game begins!

Don't forget to post pics in the "main build" section.

i will! if i don't blow the thing up mwuahaha

first time building one lol

• Advertisement

Don't worry about it, I built my first two weeks ago and it was much easier than expected :)

Just remember to set the right voltages for your RAM in the BIOS, i forgot to and it wasted 3 hours of my time trying to install windows before Solitaire pointed the voltages out to me :)

Don't worry about it, I built my first two weeks ago and it was much easier than expected :)

Just remember to set the right voltages for your RAM in the BIOS, i forgot to and it wasted 3 hours of my time trying to install windows before Solitaire pointed the voltages out to me :)

ok u will have to tell me how to do that! lol

have a question, what are the power requirements for my build will a 750watt do the job??

A 750-Watt will more than do it :)

thanks again Venom! :D

anyone with experience buying from komplett?

my order is in the "order processing" status what does this mean?

i also ordered from pixmania and they have like 4 stages of the order which keep you well informed my order from them is on the last stage, could expect it tomorrow dunno, but komplett i dunno :S

anyone with experience buying from komplett?

my order is in the "order processing" status what does this mean?

i also ordered from pixmania and they have like 4 stages of the order which keep you well informed my order from them is on the last stage, could expect it tomorrow dunno, but komplett i dunno :S

It took Komplett a week and two days to get from the warehouse to the Pick-Up-Point for my order. Although that was partially because my case was out of Stock for 3 or so days.

hmm i'll go check and see if anything i ordered was out of stock (don't think it was)

the OS and disk drive are out of stock ffs...

• Advertisement

I buy all my parts from Komplett unless unavailable, anything I've ordered was ready for pickup within a week of ordering, don't forget these products are coming from the Netherlands (well the one I've ordered anyway).

Processing basically means they're getting everything ready to order.
    the OS and disk drive are out of stock ffs...

As far as I remember, there's an option to ship items that are instock now, and the others later. Not 100% sure on this, it's been a while since the last time I bought anything off Komplett.

Advertisement