Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pups Poop !!

Options
  • 03-07-2010 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I know i'm posting a few post about my 2 new pups.. but I'm trying to get good info.

I've 2 new westies, About 8 weeks old.

I'm feeding them pedigree puppy food the pellets this company's in case ppl didn't know http://www.pedigree.com

There poo's are always soft and one might have diarrhea ( i only seen one that might be the rest are just soft) , I though feeding them solid food would make there poo solid ?

Also how often do they poo ? or should they ?

They were in there play pen last night and this morning between the 2 of them there was at least 7 poo's maybe 8, I had the pups out the back till 10:30 playing and they did do a poop. I dont leave food in the play pen over night so were is it all coming from ?...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

typically a young puppy would go id say 3-4 times a day.
    7 is far too many.

But your going to have problems like that with a young pup,with all the rubbish they eat

id recomend feeding it a good qaulity dry kibble,eukanubba,hills,burns,Jwb,orijon,it may be slightly more expensive but its worth it.

thiers a whole thread on pedrigree food if you want to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Its probably the food causing the problem, I know if my two got a whiff of it i'd be dodging puddles of poop and they fart so badly you'd think something had died.
    Try another brand, redmills leader is supposed to be great and is quite cheap, then there's the ones doggiewalker00 listed, Also Royal canin, Arden grange, james wellbeloved etc.
    The better quality food is digested better and so theres less waste, I have a medium sized and a small dog and feed royal canin, it costs me about €48 every two months(have to buy 2 small bags, small breed and med breed food) but they poop only 2 or 3 times in the day, not much of it and nice and firm, not too smelly either. It is well worth getting the better food. They all do good puppy foods.

Also at that age I would feed 4 times until they're about 4 months or so then change to 3 times until about 6 months or so, then twice a day.
    I always gave last feed at about 8pm, then bought them out for a play around 9.30-10, that usually gets things moving and they poop before bedtime. so long as they have water at night they should be fine without food until about 7am.

If you change the food, mix in a little of the new food for day or two then increase amount of new food and lessen the old stuff over about a week. You should notice a difference pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Are you giving them any milk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

typically a young puppy would go id say 3-4 times a day.
    7 is far too many.

But your going to have problems like that with a young pup,with all the rubbish they eat

id recomend feeding it a good qaulity dry kibble,eukanubba,hills,burns,Jwb,orijon,it may be slightly more expensive but its worth it.

thiers a whole thread on pedrigree food if you want to read it.

I'll have a look, i thought i was buying good food. I dont mind spending money if it will help the pups.
    mymo wrote: »
    Its probably the food causing the problem, I know if my two got a whiff of it i'd be dodging puddles of poop and they fart so badly you'd think something had died.
    Try another brand, redmills leader is supposed to be great and is quite cheap, then there's the ones doggiewalker00 listed, Also Royal canin, Arden grange, james wellbeloved etc.
    The better quality food is digested better and so theres less waste, I have a medium sized and a small dog and feed royal canin, it costs me about €48 every two months(have to buy 2 small bags, small breed and med breed food) but they poop only 2 or 3 times in the day, not much of it and nice and firm, not too smelly either. It is well worth getting the better food. They all do good puppy foods.

Also at that age I would feed 4 times until they're about 4 months or so then change to 3 times until about 6 months or so, then twice a day.
    I always gave last feed at about 8pm, then bought them out for a play around 9.30-10, that usually gets things moving and they poop before bedtime. so long as they have water at night they should be fine without food until about 7am.

If you change the food, mix in a little of the new food for day or two then increase amount of new food and lessen the old stuff over about a week. You should notice a difference pretty quickly.

Thanks for the info. I'll try something new. Not sure they like this one all that much.
    Ado86 wrote: »
    Are you giving them any milk ?
    No, Only water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

My four month old puppy(we have her three weeks) has been on beta puppy food since we got her. Poopin 3-5 times a day, "logs" are apparently normal turds.
    No change in her diet but for the last week she has been farting up a storm, and she has diarhoea for the last few days(not dehydrated or off her food but I'm keeping an eye on it).
    We took her to the beach the day before yeaterday so it may have been that she drank some sea water???
    I'm considering changing her food as I hear beta is not much better than pedigree.
    Also she get a frozen butcher bone(small and not much meat) every other day. Now I read that this might be too often? Might be the source of diarhoea???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Jinxi wrote: »
    My four month old puppy(we have her three weeks) has been on beta puppy food since we got her. Poopin 3-5 times a day, "logs" are apparently normal turds.
    No change in her diet but for the last week she has been farting up a storm, and she has diarhoea for the last few days(not dehydrated or off her food but I'm keeping an eye on it).
    We took her to the beach the day before yeaterday so it may have been that she drank some sea water???
    I'm considering changing her food as I hear beta is not much better than pedigree.
    Also she get a frozen butcher bone(small and not much meat) every other day. Now I read that this might be too often? Might be the source of diarhoea???

Funny you say both those foods as they are the 2 brands i bought when shopping a few days ago (before we had a pups) But I will be changing it.

Advertisement