Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Louie (FX)

• 03-07-2010 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭

Big fan of Louis CK's comedy.. so to just learn that he's got a semi-autobiographical series on FX (which is written and directed by himself) was a treat.

The first episode didn't really do it for me (bar his idea that when
    the bus full of school-kids broke down in Harlem, put all the black kids in the window seats!
    :D)

The second episode was very funny though - especially the scene with the various US comedians playing poker before the credits (definitely a lot of funny improvisation in this scene... you could tell!).

Advance reviews from critics in the US say that the first is the worst of the series, and it really picks up and finds it's stride as it goes on (so I recommend giving the second episode a shot if you didn't like the first).

Obviously if you're not a fan of CK's comedy, there mightn't be much for you to enjoy here however. But he might gain some new fans from this show - he's not hugely known this side of the water (although he did play the Kilkenny Cat Laughs a number of times).

Anyone else see it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

watched the first episode, the funniest part was when he asked his date what was she so good at, cause she kept asking what hes good at, and she just ran off
    onto a waiting helicopter

the second episode i turned off half way, yes the poker scene was good but the rest i thought was unfunny so i got bored around 13-15 mins and turned it off,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I definitely preferred the second for some reason.

This reviewer thinks you should skip the pilot entirely.. and mentions "subsequent episodes are significantly better starting with just the second episode and skyrocketing from there. After barely making it through the premiere, the other three episodes sent for review flew by and I couldn’t wait to get to the next."

For people who aren't familiar with Louis CK:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I really liked them. Definitely going for the CYE level of awkwardness. Not quite there yet though. Glad to hear it gets better. Some of the stand-up was great too.

I was looking forward to this show after Louie's sitcom a few years ago with Pamela Adlon (who is exec producer on this show)

I'll keep watching. Worth a look if you want to try something new.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Have the first few epsiodes to watch, I didnt know hear much of the show but decided to pick it up after Louie CK's few appearances in Parks & Recreations where he was brilliant.

Looking forward to it.

Did a search but nothing came up.

Has anyone seen this show? It stars a comedian I've never heard of before called Louie C.K and I have to say that I'm somewhat enjoying it.

It pretty much follows his life as he grows old, raises his kids and so on. I probably haven't made it sound very good, but there are some pretty damned funny moments, especially any featuring a bunch of comedians together and they're just bantering with each other - particularly the poker scene from episode 2.

Episode 3 features a rather funny cameo from Ricky Gervais.

This is the poker scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Did a search but nothing came up.

How hard did you look? :)

Louie threads merged.

Ah - I spelt it lewis whilst searching.

Bah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I watched the first 3 episodes tonight and while I gave the odd chuckle for the most part I found it to be quite, well, crap. I suppose I had high hopes since I'd watched a bunch of his videos on youtube but the series just isnt doing it for me. I'll probably give it another 2 episodes but if it hasnt improved big time by mid-season I think I'll be dropping it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Watched the first 2 episodes and i really like it, the stand up is really good and the scenes are pretty good too. The date and the poker table discussion are really well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I didn't like the first episode too much, but I'm enjoying the show now.

• Advertisement

The most recent episode was the best so far..

.. especially the airport / airplane stuff!

Was going to watch it last night but had some techincal difficulties :D

Will be checking it out later, but in general, the show is getting stronger and stronger as it goes on. let's hope it gets picked up for 2nd season. As far as i know, it;s doing decent enough ratings-wise in the US.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    As far as i know, it;s doing decent enough ratings-wise in the US.
    Nope.. checked this morning and it's steadily slipping each week:
    Here are the average viewerships for those Tuesday Louie airings so far (no numbers for 7/20 as yet, and no adults 18-49 or other demo ratings yet):

June 29: 1.107 million
    July 6: 718,000
    July 13: 622,000

Source: TVByTheNumbers.com

ah nuts......in comparison, Vantage Point on Thurs had similar figures.

But......
    Louie’s Sunday repeat the same week averaged 544,000 viewers.

I'd expect FX to want more viewers from their original programming though.

It does look fairly inexpensive to make (seeing as Louis writes, directs and stars - although let's face it.. he's making a big pay-cheque outta the series), so that might be it's saving grace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

basquille wrote: »
    The most recent episode was the best so far..

.. especially the airport / airplane stuff!

+1 - the whole exchange with the check-in clerk was priceless :D.

Bad news about the ratings though, not sure with FX though... they might give it a reprieve anyway if it can stabilize by the end of the season.

we'll just have to contact all our friends in the US to turn on thier tellyboxes to FX on tuesday nights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The whole airport and plane thing was great, loved the glass of water. :pac:

Another decent episode this week I thought.

Quite liked Matthew Broderick's cameo and when he pulled out the pistol at the end was very funny.

• Advertisement

Thought this weeks was great! Last weeks was funny, but a bit random and atypical... back to the usual type of story this week and the thing with the heckler was hilarious!

OisinT wrote: »
    the heckler was hilarious!

Yep, that whole exchange was very good, both at the show and outside the club afterwards... Quite liked the tag on the credits too, where Louis is giving the actress guidance on how to play the whole heckler bit.

The Matthew Broderick story was kinda weird, but I enjoyed the various attempts by Louis to get his lines right :).

thought it was great this week, he really laid into the heckler....and talking to his fellow comedians afterwards "You could of had her until the last thing you said".

The different takes of "your father's dead" where hilarious.

The heckler bit was so good that I watched it twice!

Well.. we need not have worried, it's been renewed for a 13 episode second season!
    FX orders ‘Star Trek’ spoof pilot, renews ‘Louie’

In addition, FX has renewed the Louis C.K. comedy "Louie" for a 13-episode second season.

The pickup comes about five weeks into the show's run, with the comedy performing fairly modestly -- averaging about 1 million viewers per week.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

That spoof thing looks interesting, wasn't there a pilot from a few years back with the same idea?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boldly_Going_Nowhere

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/rant.aspx?id=20080709

That spoof thing looks interesting, wasn't there a pilot from a few years back with the same idea?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boldly_Going_Nowhere

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/rant.aspx?id=20080709
    Yeah.. I remember the 'Always Sunny' lads proposing that pilot.

According to Rob McElhenney in this video interview - they shot the pilot and they weren't happy with it, now they're doing re-shoots. Also, now that Always Sunny's been renewed for a couple more seasons he says they don't have any time to do the show, so they're handing it off to Larry Charles (who's worked on Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Entourage, and some other stuff, and directed Borat and Bruno) to take over for them.

Don't think it'll happen to be honest!

basquille wrote: »
    Well.. we need not have worried, it's been renewed for a 13 episode second season!

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Nice

Few great bits this week again.

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    Few great bits this week again.

Louie's breakdown with his mother at the (second :)) restaurant they went to was pretty funny...

This weeks episode was a bit different - there were not as many gags/funny set pieces, but it still was of brilliant quality; the scene at the end especially when they're having a smoke.

Yeah, interesting change in episode format (similar to the aeroplane episode) but still quite good/.

^ Oisin, you need to cut down on the tv sweetie....you don't wanna end up like me!

:-(

:-)

^ Oisin, you need to cut down on the tv sweetie....you don't wanna end up like me!

:-(

:-)
    I'm an addict :happysad:

Bit hit and miss this episode but
    the pay-off towards the end was great.

• Advertisement

Jeez - this weeks episode is pretty .. different. The whole Jesus scene was.. messed up! I really think that this show is getting better and better, with each episode getting different.

It's not just a comedy show.

I didn't really like this week's episode.

Louie returns tonight for a brand new second season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

About time, no Penn and Teller Bulls#it this summer so I needs something!

• Advertisement

excellent, completely forgot about it coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭argonaut

Having devotedly followed the first season, I saw the Season 2 premiere yesterday. Excellent - best thing on television IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

argonaut wrote: »
    Having devotedly followed the first season, I saw the Season 2 premiere yesterday. Excellent - best thing on television IMO.
    yeah that fart was excellent, :D:D

good show, :)

Good episode but I hate hate hate long screaming/shouting sequences.

The second episode was one of the oddest things I've seen in a good while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Great show. Anyone have an opinion on the hour long special that aired this week. It wasn't a funny episode, but good television all the same. Calling the show a comedy does it an injustice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

Just finished the Second Season there. I couldn't recommend this show any more. It is hilarious and it just feels like there is so much honesty in it.

One of the best comedies i have seen in recent years, and still can throw in and episode like Afghanistan one and make it work so well.

Watch this. Watch it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

oh louie! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement