Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tracksuits tucked into socks/ hoodies in summer

• 03-07-2010 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭

There's something that has been puzzling me for some time now. When and why did it become cool to tuck a tracksuit into a pair of white socks? I usually don't pay any attention to what anyone else wears but anytime I see someone dressed like this I just think to myself "dear God, what is wrong with this person?".

On a similar note when and why did wearing a hood over ones head when it's twenty degrees outside become fashionable? While I do own a few hoodies I only wear them when it's cold or raining. I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would wear them when it's scorching outside.

I'm not just trying to insult people that dress like this. I'd genuinely like to know when and why this started.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

people on bicycles sometimes tuck one leg of their trousers in to stop them getting dirty on the chain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

fashion i take it you dont have kids

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Its more of a skanger trend tbh

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've only ever seen scumbags dress like that, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

Yeap defo a scumbag trend... kill them with fire!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭BarryDoodles

This has been done to death in AfterHours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Not just a scumbag trend, it's among all types of us(teenagers), tbh.

But sure, don't ya know that all teenagers are scumbags nowadays.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭magicface1

always seen them on scumers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When and why did it become cool to tuck a tracksuit into a pair of white socks?
    There was a thread about this before. Seems the tracksuits no longer have an elastic bit on them, so when the scumbags steal something, and put it down their pants, it'd fall out. The tracksuits tucked into the socks seems to prevent this.
    On a similar note when and why did wearing a hood over ones head when it's twenty degrees outside become fashionable?
    Most likely to intimidate people and to make identifying them whilst they are engaged in anti-social behaviour harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Its not only scumbags tuck their pants into their socks, I have seen people wear jeans with either them tucked Into their socks or bobbles around their ankles to show off their shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

ok, teenagers have strange and questionable fashion always have and always will, but to brand them as scummers is low, f*ck sake they are impressionable and image conscious 'teenagers 13-19', they would prefer a 'hard' look rather than a soft one as to avoid being picked on..its simples...teenagers should not be judged by adults as is typical on boards..the adult judging is more pathetic than trackies tucked into socks!
    if your an adult and you seriously judge a teen coz of the way they dress your an immature sap, making comments in jest is fine but to call them scummers pisses me off...

Piriz wrote: »
    ok, teenagers have strange and questionable fashion always have and always will, but to brand them as scummers is low, f*ck sake they are impressionable and image conscious 'teenagers 13-19', they would prefer a 'hard' look rather than a soft one as to avoid being picked on..its simples...teenagers should not be judged by adults as is typical on boards..the adult judging is more pathetic than trackies tucked into socks!
    if your an adult and you seriously judge a teen coz of the way they dress your an immature sap, making comments in jest is fine but to call them scummers pisses me off...

Wow, logic fail. Nobody here said teenagers = scummers. In fact, only one post mentioned teenagers at all:
    baz2009 wrote: »
    Not just a scumbag trend, it's among all types of us(teenagers), tbh.

But sure, don't ya know that all teenagers are scumbags nowadays.:rolleyes:

So the only person associating teenagers with scumbags is the above teenager.

I've only ever seen this trend on scumbags, whether they be 10, 16 or 40. It's not age-related, it's knacker-related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I have found that the tracksuit tucked into socks style is usually paired with both hands down the front of said tracksuit bottoms. It's the epitome of class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

It's just a fashion trend, I know it looks really stupid but boys think it makes them look hard or whatever, some boys I know do it and they are not scumbags I can assure you they are just trying to fit in. People use that term so loosely now, can't we just keep it for actual gangsters and politicians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

This has been done to death in AfterHours

That's why I didn't post it there. I'm genuinely interested in where and why this all started. I posted this in Fashion & Appearance as I thought people that followed fashion might know how this trend started.

Although I don't think it's a particularly good luck I also avoided calling these people names so this thread wouldn't be locked. I really would like to know where they got the idea for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

Faith wrote: »
    Wow, logic fail. Nobody here said teenagers = scummers. In fact, only one post mentioned teenagers at all:

So the only person associating teenagers with scumbags is the above teenager.

I've only ever seen this trend on scumbags, whether they be 10, 16 or 40. It's not age-related, it's knacker-related.

the fact of the matter is that nobody over the age of 18 wears this trend, and lots of people have referred to these people as scummers etc. there's the logic! your too busy judging teens on the way they dress you missed it completely! don't be afraid of people who wear this trend..they are just normal people who follow a silly trend at a certain time of their life... for you to brand them as scumbags is in fact a logic fail itself! (how'd ya like those apples)!
    if your the adult who judges these guys negatively on the way they choose to dress you are causing more social divide then them.. you dont have to like it just f*ckin deal with it and don't ostracise's them.
    its a really destructive and unhealthy element in society when people do what you do..

to the OP i forgot to answer your question earlier, as far as i know the socks trend originated in the working class areas of Liverpool over a decade ago...why? why not! its fashion after all!

the fact of the matter is that nobody over the age of 18 wears this trend, and lots of people have referred to these people as scummers etc. there's the logic! your too busy judging teens on the way they dress you missed it completely! don't be afraid of people who wear this trend..they are just normal people who follow a silly trend at a certain time of their life... for you to brand them as scumbags is in fact a logic fail itself! (how'd ya like those apples)!
    if your the adult who judges these guys negatively on the way they choose to dress you are causing more social divide then them.. you dont have to like it just f*ckin deal with it and don't ostracise's them.
    its a really destructive and unhealthy element in society when people do what you do..

I have to disagree - I've seen people a hell of a lot older than 18 dress like this recently. It's generally easy to distinguish between teenagers following the crowd, and actual scumbags. I work in a shop with a huge percentage of teenage customers, and often they're well dressed, friendly, polite and well-mannered. I was a teenager too recently enough; I'm aware the vast majority aren't scumbags.

The fact of the matter is, if you dress in certain ways, you'll be associated with certain types of people. If I walked around wearing a bra and hot pants, I'd be put in the slut/hooker category. If I wore all black and had a Slipknot hoody, I'd end up in the emo/goth category. We're all judged on appearances, whether we like it or not, and we should all be aware that people perceive our clothes as saying a lot about us. If you don't want to be perceived in a certain way, do something about it.

Anyway, apologies to the OP for pulling this off-topic even further. I honestly don't know where the trend came from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Anyway, apologies to the OP for pulling this off-topic even further. I honestly don't know where the trend came from.

No problem. :)
    I've seen people in their mid twenties, sometimes older, dressed like this so it's not just teenagers. I've also seen younger kids dressed like this as well recently. They don't seem like bad kids, but they seem to be under the impression that this is a good look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I was walking passed a lad on th street yesterday and I couldn't help but stop and ask him why he was waring his tracksuit tucked into his socks.

"I dunno" was his answer.

So there y'are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

It makes them look '2madt2kaii10' according to bebo ;)
    http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3217240158&ShowSims=Y

It's called spicer, You need the biggest columbia jacket you can find, a quality wife beater mullet, tucked in socks. Then apply 2tubes of hair gel :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The ONLY people that I've seen wearing tracksuits tucked into their socks are scumbags, chavs, whatever you call them. Have not seen any travellers dress like this. Have not seen any teenagers hanging around on street corners dress like this. Have only seen groups of chavs doing this. I have rarely seen a lone chav dress like this: it's only when they go around in groups of 2 or more. The chavs who wear hoodies tend to put their hoods up when they go into the shop, and keep looking down.

Fear them? Naw, I laugh at them. If they want to label themselves as scum, let them do so. They'll get more attention in any shop they go into by security, and you can hear the chatter of the security radios when there's a group walking along the street.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Piriz, please take some time off to consider the charter, especially the part about personal abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

The fact of the matter is, if you dress in certain ways, you'll be associated with certain types of people. If I walked around wearing a bra and hot pants, I'd be put in the slut/hooker category. If I wore all black and had a Slipknot hoody, I'd end up in the emo/goth category. We're all judged on appearances, whether we like it or not, and we should all be aware that people perceive our clothes as saying a lot about us. If you don't want to be perceived in a certain way, do something about it.

Unfortunately, this is very true - but that doesn't mean people have to like it or to participate in the judging, or agree with those who do.

I live and work in an area where the vast majority of teenagers roll up the ends of their tracksuit bottoms and hold them up with a bobbin and then pull their socks right up to meet the ends of the bottoms.

It has been the "done thing" since about 2007. The vast majority of those that do it are not "scumbags" - they are nice, ordinary kids. They may very well be considered "skangers" though, by sheer virtue of where they're from, their accent, the music they like and how they dress. I don't think any of them know where the trend came from either. Like most teenagers, most of them do it just to fit in, I think. Just like Ugg boots and short denim skirts seem to be the teenage "uniform" in other parts of Dublin - and I'm sure some teens in those areas dress this way without giving much thought to how they may be perceived either, or even whether they actually like that style/trend.

Most of them just outgrow the trend and I see very few doing it beyond about 18/19.

I don't see any issue with hoodies - though actually wearing the hood up when it's not raining/freezing is a little strange - particularly indoors.

everyone on this forum so far doesn't have a clue what there talking about. if a skanger was caught with his trousers tucked into his socks he would be shot. people who wear there trousers tucked into there so are not spicers or skangers and spicers DONT NOT wear clumbia jackets skangers wear clumbia jackets well most and i wouldn't judge a person wearing a clumbia jacket. spicers wear adidas there socks arent even tucked into their trousers by the way they have they ends of the trousers rolled up with a bobbin. stop judging people thx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I have seen LOADS of 'skangers' wearing their trackies tucked into their socks around the Northside in Cork and not all of them teenagers by a long shot, I've seen fellas obviously in their late twenties or early thirties wearing thhis, even the last day when I was having a coffee on bridge st two older guys walked past the window wearing it.

I don't see the big deal with judging people based on their clothes, it's perfectly natural and people dress a certain way to fit in with certain sub-cultures that they identify with so you have to expect it unless you go around looking like a drone. I fully accept that a lot of people will judge me for how I dress and I get the odd smart comment or bitchy sneer, but I'm ok with that, if I wasn't I'd change how I dressed. Personally I don't give that big a f*ck and I haven't since I was about 14.

Also just because you use the word skanger or whatever doesn't necessarily mean you think their an A-hole or bad person etc, I use the term yet I have several good friends that would easily be put in that category based on their dress style etc. It may sound derogatory but literally anyone can be stereotyped in that way based on thir clothes: dollybirds, jocks, hippies, crusties, emos, goths, trendies etc so what's the big deal?

Steve 93 what exactly is a spicer anyway, obviously you're much more up to date on the lingo than any of us.

a spicer is a irish version of a scene kid scene kids are from america i think everyone asks me what a spicer is cause im around there age lol they are far from a scene kid spicers are well most of them are very nice well you know teenagers nothing like the skangers you would see in town. basically a spicer has to have the latest fashion mostly wear adidas and have STUPID looking hair style some people say they are the new emos well more friendly ha. i cant make it any clear i think they confuse everyone when they hear the word spicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

stevek93 wrote: »
    a spicer is a irish version of a scene kid scene kids are from america i think everyone asks me what a spicer is cause im around there age lol they are far from a scene kid spicers are well most of them are very nice well you know teenagers nothing like the skangers you would see in town. basically a spicer has to have the latest fashion mostly wear adidas and have STUPID looking hair style some people say they are the new emos well more friendly ha. i cant make it any clear i think they confuse everyone when they hear the word spicer.

Yes and No.

Scene kid http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Scene

Spicer http://www.bebo.com/c/photos/view?PhotoAlbumId=0&MemberId=5830290085&PhotoId=12382882457

I couldn't afford to be so complicated when I was a teengager,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

WilliamOC wrote: »

Every single spicer picture is cringeworthy to say the least.

• Advertisement

seanbmc wrote: »
    Every single spicer picture is cringeworthy to say the least.

Ya they all look like f*ckin eejits! They are going to feel so so stupid when they grow up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Ya they all look like f*ckin eejits! They are going to feel so so stupid when they grow up :D

Yup, some of those mullets are disgusting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭odonopenmic

I was talking to someone there a couple of weeks ago and he was saying this trend of the tracksuit rolled up the leg using a bobbin (not tucked into socks) is a stupid ASBO thing and is rampant in his neighbourhood so he was asking the lads what the craic was. Even though we don't have them here, some with ASBOs in the UK have the ankle tracking bracelet which alerts the authorities if they go out of an area they are meant to be restricted to.

Or something like that....

Wearing the trouser leg off the ankle is to show off yer ASBO - how it came here where we don't even have the ankle trackers is a bit weird/sad/silly. But as a few people have said, it's a hardchaw look. Let em have it. If that's the reason behind it, I must say it brings a smile to my face to see that level of eejitry. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Its not only scumbags tuck their pants into their socks, I have seen people wear jeans with either them tucked Into their socks or bobbles around their ankles to show off their shoes.

Just cos its not done to a nike tracksuit, doesnt mean their not skangers.

It is completely a skanger trend. Not necessarily junkies with dirty Classic BW's but mostly the "Massives" or "Spicers" from areas such as Crumlin, Finglas, North Strand etc

The blokes are usually seen with girls who wear leggings as trousers and cropped tops that show their stomachs.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

For those who can't be bothered to read that whole encyclopedia dramatica article, here is what sums it up.

http://www.youtube.com/user/KyleHilton151

And yes. He is a man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm in court today bored... Chief scumbag is here with his tracksuit tucked in and hood up . He looks 20ish and ridiculous. However if I was an artist I'd ask to paint him. He looks absolutely Vicious even in his fancy dress outfit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I can safely say the sock tuck trend is exclusively Scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I'm in court today bored... Chief scumbag is here with his tracksuit tucked in and hood up . He looks 20ish and ridiculous. However if I was an artist I'd ask to paint him. He looks absolutely Vicious even in his fancy dress outfit.

Does he have the required accompanying pencil 'tache....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Closing this zombie thread

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement