Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weird Noise from Laptop

• 03-07-2010 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭

Guys I have a laptop that is about 3 years old now, a Dell Inspiron 1501. I came with vista but I upgraded to Windows 7 a while back.

Anyway in the last week or so I have noticed an occasional weird sound. Sometimes when I turn it on it makes a screeching sound kind of like glass scraping on glass. Also that sound sometimes randomly occurs when I am simply surfing, or when I wake it from sleeping or hibernating mode. Now I usually listen to music which would cover it up, but for the past while I have been using the laptop when others have been asleep: hence no music. So I don't know for sure how long this has been happening or even if it is a new thing at all!

Anyway is this normal or is it a bad sign? What should I do?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

I have heard hard drives on there way out make a noise like that,back up everything you cant afford to lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

mp22 wrote: »
    I have heard hard drives on there way out make a noise like that,back up everything you cant afford to lose.
    Oh no, disaster. Most of my stuff is backed up. I hope that is not it as I cannot afford a new laptop. :(
    If it was a desktop I suppose I could buy a new HD and stick it in, but I have no idea if that can be done with a laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Easy enough. I think its a 120GB SATA on that.
    You could try taking it out anyway to check if it might be the cpu fan instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Replacing a laptop hard drive is very easy as well. And it certainly does sound as if its the hard drive thats doing the grinding.

I'm not very good with computers etc and would be a bit wary of doing it myself. What exactly happens if the HD goes? Does the laptop basically not work, or will it have no OS?

• Advertisement

The laptop would not work. Do you have any friends who are at all computer savvy? If not, what you could do is get the hard drive and take it to a computer shop and they should do it for a minimal fee as it only takes about 2 minutes. Or if you attend a university or your workplace has an IT department, they should be able to do it for you for free.

Damn. I have an external hard drive somewhere, could I somehow get the laptop to runoff of that, or would that be extremely difficult? If it just a case of connecting a few things I say I could do it myself, I have replaced lasers and stuff in Playstations. But the finances are quite tight, I would literally have 100 euro max to spend.

And I notice that my laptop has a "recovery" HD listed alongside the normal HD in the computer panel. Is that simply a partition of the main HD?

Its 1 or 2 screws on the base, then a caddy slides out from the left side I think

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Damn. I have an external hard drive somewhere, could I somehow get the laptop to runoff of that, or would that be extremely difficult? If it just a case of connecting a few things I say I could do it myself, I have replaced lasers and stuff in Playstations. But the finances are quite tight, I would literally have 100 euro max to spend.

depends on the size. if it was a hard drive from a desktop, i would say not as they're larger and the alignments wouldnt work. 100 euro should be more than enough to buy the drive and get it installed.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Its 1 or 2 screws on the base, then a caddy slides out from the left side I think
    I could probably handle that.

• Advertisement

I would check eBay for good deals on a drive. Make sure that you're searching for the right type though. You should be able to get that information from calling Dell.

Improbable wrote: »
    depends on the size. if it was a hard drive from a desktop, i would say not as they're larger and the alignments wouldnt work. 100 euro should be more than enough to buy the drive and get it installed.
    Its just a USB external hard drive. If I moved everything to that could I set that as the main HD and take the current dodgy one out?

But if I can do it for under a hundred then I should be ok.

Its just a USB external hard drive. If I moved everything to that could I set that as the main HD and take the current dodgy one out?

But if I can do it for under a hundred then I should be ok.

You can run windows from an external USB hard drive but it requires a LOT of advanced work and I don't know that anyone outside of an IT professional would be able to handle it. Messing about with installation files and items of that nature. It is however easy to run Linux off of a USB key if you would consider doing that.

You can run windows from an external USB hard drive but it requires a LOT of advanced work and I don't know that anyone outside of an IT professional would be able to handle it. Messing about with installation files and items of that nature. It is however easy to run Linux off of a USB key if you would consider doing that.
    Ahh, I would be willing to run linux, my laptop is basically just a glorified netbook these days. So would I be able to run it off the USB, have say my music on my external HD and no HD or a broken one actually in the laptop? That would be a good stopgap until I get some cash together.

Ahh, I would be willing to run linux, my laptop is basically just a glorified netbook these days. So would I be able to run it off the USB, have say my music on my external HD and no HD or a broken one actually in the laptop? That would be a good stopgap until I get some cash together.

I see no reason why that wouldn't work. You would have to set up the BIOS to boot up from a USB key and thats fairly simple, you can find many tutorials for your particular manufacturer on how to do that on the internet. All you have to do then is install your preferred version of linux onto the USB key and off you go.

You could also run Linux from a 'live' CD, with or without a hard disk. DO back up anything important. Does the external plug in with 2 USB plugs, or does it have its own PSU ? former is prob 2.5", the other prob 3.5". Assuming the ext drive is newer than the dell, its probably a SATA drive too

It's very simple to change the hard disk in a 1501. On the right-hand side of the laptop there's a compartment which holds the disk, it's held in with two screws on the bottom. Slide it out and there's another two screws holding the cover on to the disk. Refit the cover to a new disk, slide it back in and refit the screws. It's 100% a SATA disk in there, I've worked on them loads of times.

I see no reason why that wouldn't work. You would have to set up the BIOS to boot up from a USB key and thats fairly simple, you can find many tutorials for your particular manufacturer on how to do that on the internet. All you have to do then is install your preferred version of linux onto the USB key and off you go.
    That sounds cool, kinda fun too. But I presume I will need to get a load of drivers too? For say my wireless internet etc?

I don't know that much about the wireless to be honest as I only ever did this for a wired connection.

Karsini wrote: »
    It's very simple to change the hard disk in a 1501. On the right-hand side of the laptop there's a compartment which holds the disk, it's held in with two screws on the bottom. Slide it out and there's another two screws holding the cover on to the disk. Refit the cover to a new disk, slide it back in and refit the screws. It's 100% a SATA disk in there, I've worked on them loads of times.
    Cheers mate. This really is unwanted hassle, f I wanted windows I would have to reinstall vista, then upgrade it again. If it goes I might just go for linux, seems easier.
    I don't know that much about the wireless to be honest as I only ever did this for a wired connection.
    I presume I wont fcuk my laptop up by interchanging whether it boots from the HD or linux? Even if I get a new HD when this one dies I would like to know how to do that anyway. The idea of carrying my own OS around with me sounds nice.

• Advertisement

I'd think a recent Linux distro would cope with the hardware on a 3yo machine. A good idea to identify the hardware you have tho, e.g. the graphics,sound,wifi

I presume I wont fcuk my laptop up by interchanging whether it boots from the HD or linux? Even if I get a new HD when this one dies I would like to know how to do that anyway. The idea of carrying my own OS around with me sounds nice.

No not at all. What the BIOS does, regardless of what OS you have installed is it checks for boot priorities. Thats just a numbered system that goes 1,2,3. So if 1 is set to hard drive, 2 to cd drive, 3 to external usb drive, it will search the hard drive, and boot from there. if it cant boot from there, it'll boot from a cd. If it can't boot from there, it'll boot from USB drive. And you can change this back and forth anytime by going into your bios anytime at startup. If you do eventually want to go back to using an internal hard drive, you can do so at any time without any adverse effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Run the disk check utility first, the noise could be coming from one of the fans either, it could be one of the fans is getting jammed, or has dust stuck in it.

when the laptop is booting up press f8 and select diagnosis and run all the checks there to see if any errors are reported

You can change the boot order in the BIOS anytime you want, no bother there. I have a 1501 at home (but I'm not there right now). You'd probably get a disk the same size for 30-40; I got a 320GB 2.5" external (i.e. disk & case) for less than 50euro recently !

You could download and run CrystalDiskInfo, the data it tells you may need a bit of interpretation tho !

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I'd think a recent Linux distro would cope with the hardware on a 3yo machine. A good idea to identify the hardware you have tho, e.g. the graphics,sound,wifi
    ATi Raedon Xpress 1150
    Dell wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-card
    Processor: AMD \Turion 64x2 Moblile Technology TL-60
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec
    No not at all. What the BIOS does, regardless of what OS you have installed is it checks for boot priorities. Thats just a numbered system that goes 1,2,3. So if 1 is set to hard drive, 2 to cd drive, 3 to external usb drive, it will search the hard drive, and boot from there. if it cant boot from there, it'll boot from a cd. If it can't boot from there, it'll boot from USB drive. And you can change this back and forth anytime by going into your bios anytime at startup. If you do eventually want to go back to using an internal hard drive, you can do so at any time without any adverse effects.
    Excellent, thanks for that!
    IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Run the disk check utility first, the noise could be coming from one of the fans either, it could be one of the fans is getting jammed, or has dust stuck in it.

when the laptop is booting up press f8 and select diagnosis and run all the checks there to see if any errors are reported
    I will do that and get back to you guys on it.

Thanks again for all the help guys!

Right I think I have it figured out now, a friend came around and had a look and said it was defiantly the HD. That sucks.

I'm going to go with the USB linux for the time being if it breaks, then buy a new HD. What linux distribution would you recommend for running from a flash?

I like ubuntu personally.

I like ubuntu personally.
    Cheers mate I will give that one a bash. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Instructions on how to replace the drive: http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1501/en/om_en/html/parts.htm#wp1076789

Above, with nicer pictures: http://www.ubuntu1501.com/2007/03/replacing-your-hard-drive.html

The person in the above swapped it for a HITACHI Travelstar 160GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 2.5 Notebook Hard Drive, which costs €45 at Dabs.ie

yeah reckon Ubuntu is best

the_syco wrote: »
    Instructions on how to replace the drive: http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1501/en/om_en/html/parts.htm#wp1076789

Above, with nicer pictures: http://www.ubuntu1501.com/2007/03/replacing-your-hard-drive.html

The person in the above swapped it for a HITACHI Travelstar 160GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 2.5 Notebook Hard Drive, which costs €45 at Dabs.ie
    Oh wow thanks mate! I thought the damage would be much more than that.
    IrishTonyO wrote: »
    yeah reckon Ubuntu is best
    Just out of curiosity I see that it can be installed alongside my current OS on the HD(wont be doing that, will run from USB) but how would you choose which OS to use? You can pick in the BIOS on startup?

Just out of curiosity I see that it can be installed alongside my current OS on the HD(wont be doing that, will run from USB) but how would you choose which OS to use? You can pick in the BIOS on startup?

yep, dual boots are awesome. and a very good choice to pick if you decide to stick with ubuntu but would still like access to windows.

Oh wow thanks mate! I thought the damage would be much more than that.

You get a multiboot option on startup where you can select which OS to run

Excellent stuff!

• Advertisement

Well I have done all that and a currently running ubuntu from my USB, good times! However my wireless wont work. :(

I have used the interface to try and run some drivers that ubuntu says I need to enable but they wont work.

Well I have done all that and a currently running ubuntu from my USB, good times! However my wireless wont work. :(

I have used the interface to try and run some drivers that ubuntu says I need to enable but they wont work.

I would suggest posting here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/

They'll be able to give you more specific advice and probably have more expertise than those of us who post here.

I would suggest posting here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/

They'll be able to give you more specific advice and probably have more expertise than those of us who post here.
    Cheers man, will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1465617

Hook up an ethernet cable and install the bcmwl-kernel-source package.

Snowbat wrote: »
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1465617

Hook up an ethernet cable and install the bcmwl-kernel-source package.
    Thank you so much.

• Advertisement

Just an Update: I am now not entirely sure if it is the HD....

A few times over the past few days it has completely frozen, then turned off(while running windows). I thought that was the hd caput initially, but I was able to access the HD from within Ubuntu.

After the lappy froze I tried to turn it on straight away, to be greeted with "cant find OS". 10 mins later it worked grand.

So may the laptop just be overheating? The scratching sound seems to have dissipated....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Still sounds like the hd,the fact that it wont read the os,but can be accessed from a usb live os,would only confirm a hd on the way out (imo).

Well the OS(windows) wouldn't run today at all, It would get to the windows loading bit, then crash back out to restart, then the computer said to run a "startup recovery" which I did, and about an hour later it said it had found a problem and fixed it, a corrupt file directory I think it said.

Now it seems to be working.... I am on windows now.

Advertisement