Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think its worthwhile for adults to play Pokemon?

Options
  • 03-07-2010 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

I am 19 years old now and I'm currently playing Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver.

I am also awaiting Pokemon Black and White next year. Don't play Diamond/Pearl that much because I wasn't keen on the region, with HG/SS I feel more comfortable because I like the Johto region.

Does anyone think its ok to play Pokemon at this age and even longer, just for old times sake? It brings back a lot of good memories in my opinion and its still a good way to kill time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Hell yeah,

I'm 19 as well and if I still had my DS [my mother stole it] I would totally be playing pokemon to hark back to my childhood, the games were by far the best thing, I still have my cousins copy of Pokemon Red but no way to play it. I'm waiting to buy the 3DS and when it comes it I will be pokemon-ing up like it's still 1999:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm 27 and still love Pokemon games. They are probably the most in depth and intricate RPGs out there and the humour is really good so I don't see why older people wouldn't play them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I'm 19 as well and I know a lot of people who still play it for the nostalgia. You're not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I'm 23 now and I've played every Pokémon generation since R/B/Y.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Gloam

If you have fun doing it then do it. You're never too old for fun. 23 here and still play Pokemon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

If you enjoy doing something what on earth is the harm?

Although you really did ask in the right place for responses saying it's ok, maybe try after hours if you wanna know what other non-gamer people think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'm 22 and still play pokemon games. They're great games so i don't see why it would'nt be worth playing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

*summon >30yrs old pokemon players*

i totally missed the trends back then to get addicted to pokemon :pac: but i can totally understand why some near 30s players still love it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Play it now, it's still as addictive as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i know, retro, i know is still not too late =_,= but god imagine if i get addicted i will probably gonna spend uncountable time on playing all the different versions of it you see.as i am such a completist and have no self-control at all to anything that i get addicted. cant really afford to risk that you see :D maybe when i settle down with a job or get a gf who is addicted to pokemon and pull me in :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

karaokeman wrote: »
    Does anyone think its ok to play Pokemon at this age and even longer, just for old times sake? It brings back a lot of good memories in my opinion and its still a good way to kill time.

No I don't think it's ok to play it just for old times sake, there are lots of other good reasons to play it too. You don't have to justify it to yourself or anyone else :)

It's easy for people to dismiss it as only a kids game, and sure it's designed with kids in mind, but it a lot deeper than people give it credit for. Try entering the Seniors division of the brutally competitive Pokémon Video Games Championship and see if you still think it's childsplay!

Have you checked out the Pokémon forum on Boards? Some of us regular posters there are well over 19!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

im 29 and i play pokemon (feel like this an a&a meeting)
    yeah the stories and dialogue are complete **** but the core gameplay is sill as addictive as ever. the great thing about pokemon games is the main quest bar the last 2 gyms and elite four is super easy, but when you want to play competitvely either through ds wi-fi or on PBR on wii there is a super deep rpg at work here and when you factor in things like EV training and breeding the pokemon games have such incredible depth.
    the one complaint is that the series has become stagnant and has evolved very little since the gba games but black and white look they are a huge leap forward

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

lol, it;s not just Pokemon, 95% of computer games are both for children and not worthwhile pass times.
    but that shouldn't stop you :D

lol, it;s not just Pokemon, 95% of computer games are both for children and not worthwhile pass times.
    but that shouldn't stop you :D

10-15 years ago that would have been true but there is such a focus on FPS and shooters now that there is a much larger % of games kids should never be allowed near

are you sure that's not just the responsible adult in you talking? think about the stuff you see in Mortal Kombat, Doom or Splatterhouse.

the only difference between those games and games now are better graphics. kids will always play "soldiers": the only difference is the pristeen graphics the current generation get to enjoy.

are you sure that's not just the responsible adult in you talking? think about the stuff you see in Mortal Kombat, Doom or Splatterhouse.

the only difference between those games and games now are better graphics. kids will always play "soldiers": the only difference is the pristeen graphics the current generation get to enjoy.

i disagree. for startes games like mortal kombat have changed in many more ways than just graphics. the sound is more realistic and you now have the sounds of bones crunching and the screams sound more like someone in agony. i dont believe a kid playing the original MK1 would be that affected by it as it has a cartoon look about it and the game is too crude really. take the new MK for instance, it is more intense in every possible way from the graphics to the sound and the animations. no child under say 15 should be anywhere near a modern MK game.
    plus 10-15 years ago a game like MK was rare. games in those days were made for kids but i think the more critical point was that they were marketed for kids. before the playstation came along the concept of someone over 18 playing computer games did not exist. and First person shooters back in those days did exist but it was a very niche thing in pc games and back in those days very few households had a pc.
    so for the majority of games it was expected only kids would play them.
    now its completely the opposite. the majority of big game releases tend to be shooters both first and third, action adventures or action rpgs like god of war, assasins creed, fable or fallout, oblivion etc.
    games today are more mature in almost every way. not just in the graphics and sound department but also in their stories which these days can be quite complex.
    so today games companies make games mostly for adults and by this mean over 17 IMO and the games are marketed to adults. to see a game totally made with a kid in mind and targeted to a kid is rare.
    and yes kids will always want to play soldier but they should not be doing it in the likes of Call Duty, Killzone and the like. look at the mature content in the last 2 modern warfare games. the infamous airport in mw2 and the dying scene of mw1. i could go on and on about this but basically your point about 95% of games being intended for kids and adults is way off base. i find there is a much smaller percentage of games being made that apply to all ages. just look at the amount of games that get released every year. how many get a Teen or Mature rating. now compare that to 1992 when the first MK came out and the difference is staggering.

i disagree. for startes games like mortal kombat have changed in many more ways than just graphics. the sound is more realistic and you now have the sounds of bones crunching and the screams sound more like someone in agony. i dont believe a kid playing the original MK1 would be that affected by it as it has a cartoon look about it and the game is too crude really. take the new MK for instance, it is more intense in every possible way from the graphics to the sound and the animations. no child under say 15 should be anywhere near a modern MK game.
    plus 10-15 years ago a game like MK was rare. games in those days were made for kids but i think the more critical point was that they were marketed for kids. before the playstation came along the concept of someone over 18 playing computer games did not exist. and First person shooters back in those days did exist but it was a very niche thing in pc games and back in those days very few households had a pc.
    so for the majority of games it was expected only kids would play them.

you've basically just expanded the point I was disagreeing with. I think Mortal Kombat is a game aimed totally at kids.
    and while I will admit there are now games which are aimed especially at adult gamers, I have yet to see any games, besides some survival horrors, which I wouldn't allow a child to play. Games where monster explode in a puff of pink clouds and you get some coins and love hearts, are just as unhealthy for young people and talking baby talk to them and harming their grammar development. people contain blood and guts, and if you hit them hard enough they die, this a fact.

I think Mortal Kombat is a game aimed totally at kids.

oh im sorry my mistake. i assumed i was talking to someone intelligent. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    if you can make a statement like that you must be retarded. it is because of people like you that ****ers like jack thompson and hillary clinton get such support.

Legmegeton banned for a week for personal abuse. If you want to make an intelligent argument, attack the post not the poster. Aurongroove has a very valid point though. The gore in the MK games and the immurity of the 'adult' content other games like soldier of fortune, GTA and kingpin really show how these games are made to appeal to kids. It's no secret that well over half the sale of 18 or 15 rated games are to minors below the age rating, games companies just don't admit it and basically it's not their fault that these games are getting into minors hands. It's the same as all those video nasties during the 80's that all the kids of my generation were watching well before they were the legal age to watch them.

wow, the moderators here are really on the ball! (and trigger happy:o)

argumentum ad hominem is a useless tactic, plus, It shows one is more concerened about "winning" an argument then discussion.
    But in reply to Lemegeton, I'm sorry, I didn't think you'd get so angry, lets just accept that we have different ideas about what it is morally correct to either expose or protect children from.

• Advertisement

its not about protecting children. some kids can play a game like mortal kombat and may be mature enough that it does not affect them and that is a decision for the parents to make. and yes game companies know kids play their violent games and they are happy because it is sales for them. what i 100% disagree with is the notion that games companies make something like mortal kombat for kids. mortal kombat and something like GTA are not made for kids and the content in those games is in no way made to appeal to someone under 15yrs old , which is what i would consider a kid

we'll have to disagree then.
    I always seen Mortal Kombat's market as a bunch of wide eyed 6-12 year old's going "COOOOL" when Subzero shatters Kano with an icy uppercut.

I will say, if I were raising a child I would tell them not to bother with games like GTA, in my mind GTA is a disgusting idea for a "game"; violence, theft, murder, piracy and organized crime, why don't they just include genocide, sex offence and plague and complete the list.
    It wouldn't surprise me to hear in an upcoming GTA game one of the missions would be to drive a rape victim that you raped to an abortion clinic to prevent her gangland dad from nuking your home country on ethnic grounds while stealing the olympic torch on the way, using it to burn an orphanage then drawing a pentagram on the floor with the surgeons left over blood and spending level 2 in hell.

we'll have to disagree then.
    I always seen Mortal Kombat's market as a bunch of wide eyed 6-12 year old's going "COOOOL" when Subzero shatters Kano with an icy uppercut.

I will say, if I were raising a child I would tell them not to bother with games like GTA, in my mind GTA is a disgusting idea for a "game"; violence, theft, murder, piracy and organized crime, .

perfectly acceptable content in a game made for adults.

lol, it seems we also disagree then on what sort of things adults should be watching... now it;s me who's the disappointing finger-wagger, and you the freedom loving hipster :)

(moderator: this is self depreciative and light hearted, no week ban please!)

I don;t think it bodes well that a game like that is deemed suitable for people at all: Adults should be "adults" about their pursuits, and not just behave like "children who are old enough to do what they like now". which is precisely the kind of sentiment you get to exercise in GTA.

lol, it seems we also disagree then on what sort of things adults should be watching... now it;s me who's the disappointing finger-wagger, and you the freedom loving hipster :)

(moderator: this is self depreciative and light hearted, no week ban please!)

I don;t think it bodes well that a game like that is deemed suitable for people at all: Adults should be "adults" about their pursuits, and not just behave like "children who are old enough to do what they like now". which is precisely the kind of sentiment you get to exercise in GTA.

i think to maintain your sanity is this ****ed up world even adults need to act like children every once in a while. and while the early GTA games fit your description the latest ones also tell a very good story about life in organized crime and its not always a glamarous one. in the last game Niko constantly struggled with the consequences of a life of violence and crime. in San Andreas one of CJ's primary motivations for his actions was to get drugs out of his neighborhood. yes you can still act like a 12 yr old in these games and i dont see anything wrong with that, it helps me destress after work sometimes. But these games have also got a lot of substance too them and have value on a narrative level

That's very honest of you.
    you can see the irony too, I'm sure.

Lemegeton wrote: »
    i think to maintain your sanity is this ****ed up world even adults need to act like children every once in a while. and while the early GTA games fit your description the latest ones also tell a very good story about life in organized crime and its not always a glamarous one. in the last game Niko constantly struggled with the consequences of a life of violence and crime.

Saying GTA 4 had a good story is really pushing it. I found it really badly written, hard to care for the characters and it was a really simple story. It's hard to take seriously a character like Niko Bellic who goes on a genicidal rampage for revenge and yet is supposed to be in some moral dilemma. Had to laugh at the eurogamer review saying it was 'HBO quality'.

Advertisement