Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Aided Engineering Product Design (FT) Grad Dip, MTech

Options
  • 03-07-2010 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hiya All.
    I am due to start this course in Sept, Does anyone have any information on the level of Maths based content ?
    Also I understand the CAD prog used is Pro Engineer ? Am I correct in this.
    Any help,comments or input would be greatly appreciated.
    Am a "Mature Student 40+":) with a hands on engineering backround.

Thanks B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

hi Deise 67
    i am currently studying mechinical engineering as a under graduate and having looked at the course outline i have seen that Graduate Diploma/Master of Technology in Computer Aided Engineering Product Design has a few modules with the mechanical engineers
    Semester 1
    Mechanics of Solids= is shared with the 2nd year mechinical engineers it is very inportant that you attend all contact hours in this subject as it is dificult area to grasp with out going to the toutorials there is a 20% lab report and a 80% exam

Computer Aided Design - 3D= is shared with the 4th year mechinical engineers and is a group of cad projects done using pro-e (copys of the educational program are avalable for about €80 from the lectoure or you can get it online directly )
    semester 2
    Finite Element Analysis= shared with the 3rd year mechanical engineers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 PaulC1986

Hi Dessie,
    I started this post grad last sept, finished there in May. It is a tough course, not for the faint hearted! the workload in first semester is crazy but you'll get through it somehow. The maths content is high I found. Machine dynamics in the first semester is rediculously hard, I only passed the module because of the coursework. then in 2nd semester you'll do FEA which is difficult again, lots of maths and ****e I didnt understand even til this day! :D Mechanical design is maths based again and is tough enough too. I wouldnt be the best maths head going now but I somehow paseed the year. We didnt have the mechanics of solids module now becuase apparently the fail rate for it was so high in previous years! so im guessing you wont have it either.

Pro E is the CAD package thats used ya. The group project for that will probably break yer heart!! :) Needs serious effort and long hours. But still, it was probably may favourite part of the course. By the way, I came into the course having done Product Design as an undergrad so the that level of maths was very new to me. I survived though so you should be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Deise_67

Hiya Paul
    Would you believe I actually got a job the week I was due to start collage so I did not have to endure collage again !
    I was not looking forward to going back !

Thanks for the post....And apologies to the original reply as I never got back.

All the best B:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jonny_bravo

Hi Paul,
    I don't whether you're a still active user or not but you said you were from a product design background? Did you find the post grad to be hand ons at all compared to your under grad experience? I'm from a tech ed. background and have applied for this course commencing next September, I have dealt with some basic physics and maths but is the maths you mentioned in your post hard to get the head around or would it be rote learning all the way? ;-)

Thanks, J

Advertisement