Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How fragile is your Canon lense

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

So it didn't break... but he still wrecked a lense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,400 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Obviously the lens was already knackered? Or he' an idiot ... but it is interesting. As you see some people panic if their lens touches anything - even slightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

another canon lens abused

From the video:
    We are going to drop it and see if you will break this lens first time you drop it. If it's worth spending $100 on it or if you is basically throwing $100 down the toilet.

Oooh that's annoying. Most people try not to drop/scratch/bump their lens. If I did drop a lens I'd expect it to break and wouldn't consider it 'money down the toilet'. Grrr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Ok so what did we learn here?

Small diameter thick glass doesn't break that easy but lens now scratched to f*ck.

:confused:

• Advertisement

We learned it's better to hit a 50mm with a hammer than drop it, I guess :D

The glass didn't scratch in first clip until he took the claw to it. It had endured a good few hammer whacks up to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,400 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

From the video:

Oooh that's annoying. Most people try not to drop/scratch/bump their lens. If I did drop a lens I'd expect it to break and wouldn't consider it 'money down the toilet'. Grrr.

yes it's a bit silly really

bit like the "will it blend show"

DSLR etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

most of those scratched wouldnt even be visible

although there would more than likely be issues with flaring etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would suspect the sort of impact they gave the lens with a hammer wouldn't be too common compared to dropping the lens.

i've done damage to kit twice - i fell while carrying my OM2SP (stood on a rock which rolled away under my foot), and bent the baseplate, but the camera still works fine and is light-tight, and another time i dropped my lovely OM zuiko 90mm F2 macro lens (phenomenal lens) and flat-spotted the barrel slightly, so it wouldn't focus to infinity. €45 to repair, i was lucky.

Where did you get it repaired? I have a zoom lens with busted AF. Though it works alright in MF.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a chap called clive mcdonald. used to be the official hasselblad repair guy for ireland. he's based out artane direction now.

Ah righty. My duffed lens might end up not being worth fixing anyhow, from what I've read about them online. Common fault, the motor on Sony dslrs is too powerful for that particular lens and often busts them. Weird though.

I'd prefer to actually get the SSS [body IS on Sony dslr] fixed on the camera.

OT: the only time I can think my lenses would possibly get a good knock would be if I had the strap on my shoulder, maybe going through an archway/doorway/getting over a wall ... with the lens cap off. It could swing and knock off ... something or other. But that would be rare/stupid of me anyway.

No scratches on my lenses at least, to date.

Advertisement