Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ez living/ Ex Volex Castlebar

• 03-07-2010 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm a "how stuff works" soul you might say and was really enthused today looking around the ex Volex plant in Castlebar - looking at the engineering into the building and the ex vacumn tubes if that's what they are.

Does anybody have an info on Volex and what they did there and where the operations are gone now?

Very curious to know.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

They were a cabling and wire harness company. Very low tech stuff and indeed that's manufacturing is now in Poland. Volex still have an engineering and admin presence in that building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭irlforum

RMDrive wrote: »
    They were a cabling and wire harness company. Very low tech stuff and indeed that's manufacturing is now in Poland. Volex still have an engineering and admin presence in that building.

Thanks for the reply. I knew that they made those kind of products alright - did they make their whole product range there though? I wonder where they would have shipped their products to and how then?

Also how long were they here for (manufacturing) and do you know what would have been the deciding factor in them setting up business in Castlebar and of moving aswell.

Are there current engineers involved in any R&D in Castlebar?

Sorry about all the questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

irlforum wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I knew that they made those kind of products alright - did they make their whole product range there though? I wonder where they would have shipped their products to and how then?

Also how long were they here for (manufacturing) and do you know what would have been the deciding factor in them setting up business in Castlebar and of moving aswell.

Are there current engineers involved in any R&D in Castlebar?

Sorry about all the questions.

The main business there was cabling systems for mobile phone base stations. Powercords (check the plug on your computer, it may very well be a Volex one) were made in Asia.

The company used to be called Cable Products Ireland before it was bought out by Volex. I don't know when it was formed. In the 80's I think but not sure.

There's engineers based in Cbar still but there's no R&D happening.

Why the interest can I ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭irlforum

RMDrive wrote: »
    The main business there was cabling systems for mobile phone base stations. Powercords (check the plug on your computer, it may very well be a Volex one) were made in Asia.

The company used to be called Cable Products Ireland before it was bought out by Volex. I don't know when it was formed. In the 80's I think but not sure.

There's engineers based in Cbar still but there's no R&D happening.

Why the interest can I ask?

Yeah I've noticed a few laptops with Volex plugs before. That's very interesting that they made cabling for mobile phone base stations - cabling for the antenna systems on high masts is it?

Well my interest really is due to a general interest in all technology I suppose and I find interest in technology companies based out of Ireland also. I work in a technical field myself. Nice to be aware of what's going on around.

It was abit sad to get a sense of a manufacturing plant that's been stripped while walking around ez living today and cool to see the engineering and the design in the building itself. I never thought to go into motorworld to see the rest of the building.

You seem to know a good bit about the setup yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭beetlefan

bit of a sad history to this building, caseys garage motorworld was next door but that is gone bust, they bought the factory from volex, so the place does not have good luck.

Advertisement