Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blood in pup's poo

Options
  • 03-07-2010 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

I'm in work at the moment and my girlfriend just rang saying the pup pooped and there was a small bit of blood in it.....

Would that be something they ate out the back garden ?

The Vets beside me closed at 4. I'm not home till 10 and she doesnt drive..

What should I do ?..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Don't panic!! I think I read in a previous post that your pups were having runny poos? well my Jack Russell (who is nearly 2 now) frightened the life out of me as a small pup with really runny poos and then quite a bit of blood in it. I took her straight up to the vet who checked her (and the sample i brought) and said that because of the runs causing strain on her it was probably just a small burst blood vessel. She was given some antiboitics as a precaution and a bland food diet for a few days and was fine.
    If the pups are ok in themselves apart from then this it is probably something similar.
    Does your vet offer an out of hours service? might be worth giving them a ring though just to set your mind at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Phone the vets they probably have an emergency number if you try their regular number should be some info. on their answering machine.

Blood in poo can be something minor but obviously can be life threatening like Parvo.

How is the pups form? Was there much blood and has the pup been vaccinated yet? Was the poop runny? Get her to keep a close eye on the pup and even just check the pups butt now to see if there's any bleeding.

If the pup gets worse and becomes ill with it deffo. seek an emergency vets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Has the pup had all it's vaccinations?

Has it been vomiting or had the runs lately?

Has the pup been wormed?

One of ours had blood in it's poo when it was a pup, this happened a few weeks after she had all her vaccinations, turned out she was riddled with internal parasites and the wormer wasn't strong enough to kill em so she had to be treated by the vet. If the pup hasn't had it's vaccinations or been wormed or has been vomiting or runs to put your mind at ease you have a search around for an out of hours vet that does house calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Don't panic!! I think I read in a previous post that your pups were having runny poos? well my Jack Russell (who is nearly 2 now) frightened the life out of me as a small pup with really runny poos and then quite a bit of blood in it. I took her straight up to the vet who checked her (and the sample i brought) and said that because of the runs causing strain on her it was probably just a small burst blood vessel. She was given some antiboitics as a precaution and a bland food diet for a few days and was fine.
    If the pups are ok in themselves apart from then this it is probably something similar.
    Does your vet offer an out of hours service? might be worth giving them a ring though just to set your mind at ease.

Local Vet closed at 4, rang emergency clinic a few min ago.. didnt really have any answers, Said monitor the pup see how she is and watch the next poo
    Phone the vets they probably have an emergency number if you try their regular number should be some info. on their answering machine.

Blood in poo can be something minor but obviously can be life threatening like Parvo.

How is the pups form? Was there much blood and has the pup been vaccinated yet? Was the poop runny? Get her to keep a close eye on the pup and even just check the pups butt now to see if there's any bleeding.

If the pup gets worse and becomes ill with it deffo. seek an emergency vets.

I havent seen it but she said it was a tiny bit, She had her Parvo shot and is due another shot in a few weeks.

Poo was very runny. (liquid)

Has the pup had all it's vaccinations?

Has it been vomiting or had the runs lately?

Has the pup been wormed?

One of ours had blood in it's poo when it was a pup, this happened a few weeks after she had all her vaccinations, turned out she was riddled with internal parasites and the wormer wasn't strong enough to kill em so she had to be treated by the vet. If the pup hasn't had it's vaccinations or been wormed or has been vomiting or runs to put your mind at ease you have a search around for an out of hours vet that does house calls.

She got her Parvo shot.. She was last wormed on the 28th last month and have to do her again in a week.

I didnt know Vets do house calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

A- she isn't fully protected against parvo until at least a week or two after she's had her 2nd shot

B- Some puppy wormers such are parazole are rubbish and won't kill off parasites, drontal is a good choice and a lot of chemists sell it too.

And yeah some vets will do house calls, handy to always have a vets number that can do after hours & house calls if your gf doesn't drive & no one around that she can have there asap to get to a vet in the event of an accident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Might not be this......my Mum's Bichon is on Burns dog food and a while a go he had some blood in his stools. Below is the response I got from Burns:-

"Hi Paul,

Thank you for your e-mail.

There are two possible dietary causes for this problem. The first (and most common) is that the amount he is eating is too much for his digestive system to cope with. Considering how young the dog is 70g per day is not excessive but some dogs will need less and I would suggest trying a small reduction to 50-60g per day to see if this will help.

Secondly if the amount of food offered is reduced and does not seem to make a difference then it could indicate that the dog has a food intolerance. I would therefore suggest changing off a chicken based to diet to one of our other varieties. Your mother may also want to rule out a rice intolerance and try one of our maize based foods. Another possibility is that we try him on our higher fibre diet 'High Oats'. I would be happy to send samples of some of our other diets for the dog to try if you can send me a full name and postal address to forward these to.

Kind Regards
    Fiona
    Burns Pet Nutrition Ltd"

paultf wrote: »
    Might not be this......my Mum's Bichon is on Burns dog food and a while a go he had some blood in his stools. Below is the response I got from Burns:-

"Hi Paul,

Thank you for your e-mail.

There are two possible dietary causes for this problem. The first (and most common) is that the amount he is eating is too much for his digestive systemto cope with. Considering how young the dog is 70g per day is not excessive but some dogs will need less and I would suggest trying a small reduction to 50-60g per day to see if this will help.

Secondly if the amount of food offered is reduced and does not seem to make a difference then it could indicate that the dog has a food intolerance. I would therefore suggest changing off a chicken based to diet to one of our other varieties. Your mother may also want to rule out a rice intolerance and try one of our maize based foods. Another possibility is that we try him on our higher fibre diet 'High Oats'. I would be happy to send samples of some of our other diets for the dog to try if you can send me a full name and postal address to forward these to.

Kind Regards
    Fiona
    Burns Pet Nutrition Ltd"

thanks.. great reply. The food i'm using is Chicken and rice and I may be over feeding .. not sure tho.. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

In my experience, runny poo and blood was parvo (contracted about 4 days after his first parvo shot). Is the pup acting strange? Antisocial, sleeping a lot? Also look out for a mucus in the poo. And see if the pup is uncomfortable with being touched. Whatever about runny poo, blood is a very very bad sign and I would bring him to the emergency vet asap especially if he seems tired etc.

I'd imagine if it was just due to overfeeding, there would not be a problem with the consistancy? (I could be wrong though)

Whispered wrote: »
    In my experience, runny poo and blood was parvo (contracted about 4 days after his first parvo shot). Is the pup acting strange? Antisocial, sleeping a lot? Also look out for a mucus in the poo. And see if the pup is uncomfortable with being touched. Whatever about runny poo, blood is a very very bad sign and I would bring him to the emergency vet asap especially if he seems tired etc.

I'd imagine if it was just due to overfeeding, there would not be a problem with the consistancy? (I could be wrong though)

I've never had pups before, So i dont know how much is alot of sleep !! she is full of life tho.. but does nap a few times a day.

her poop has been runny from the the day we got her ( 3 days ago) but much more runny today.. Like liquid

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Hey our vet closed at 4:00 too - I wonder if we're neighbors - Glasnevin? :D

Anyhoos don't panic because everyone will tell you pups can fade fast etc and you'll freak out! Our pup has had blood in his poo few times when he had the runs - he used to get them every other week but luckily switching him to Burns stopped him getting them!. Is the blood bright red streaks also any mucas? If so our vet told us this was good because it usally just means an inflamation in the lower intestine. Fast her until the morning and see how she gets on then you want to split the chicken and rice into small portions and feed often. If you take her to the vets they'll prob give some prokolin as well to restore the balance in his tummy - we've worked thru the runs with and without it and tbh didn't see much difference.
    Again don't panic - puppies get the runs all the time because they eat everything!! :)

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    Hey our vet closed at 4:00 too - I wonder if we're neighbors - Glasnevin? :D

Anyhoos don't panic because everyone will tell you pups can fade fast etc and you'll freak out! Our pup has had blood in his poo few times when he had the runs - he used to get them every other week but luckily switching him to Burns stopped him getting them!. Is the blood bright red streaks also any mucas? If so our vet told us this was good because it usally just means an inflamation in the lower intestine. Fast her until the morning and see how she gets on then you want to split the chicken and rice into small portions and feed often. If you take her to the vets they'll prob give some prokolin as well to restore the balance in his tummy - we've worked thru the runs with and without it and tbh didn't see much difference.
    Again don't panic - puppies get the runs all the time because they eat everything!! :)

I'm in tallaght. She was out the back eating grass and leafs.. probably muck as well. but this morning i bought some fencing and put it up to keeps from away from certain things. I'll have to keep an eye on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I have a Westie pup too hes 10 weeks old, so far he's eaten wallpaper, snails, slugs, leaves, sticks, cat poo, his own poo, flowers, grass, a screw (which I managed to grab at the last second) a twenty euro note, newspaper, I could go on and on.

I noticed you have 2 pups, both of them have blood in their stool?

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I have a Westie pup too hes 10 weeks old, so far he's eaten wallpaper, snails, slugs, leaves, sticks, cat poo, his own poo, flowers, grass, a screw (which I managed to grab at the last second) a twenty euro note, newspaper, I could go on and on.

I noticed you have 2 pups, both of them have blood in their stool?

No just one of them ( But i'm in work and cant check myself. But my G/F would have told me otherwise). this one is the more adventurous and always getting into muck and that. Little messer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

You say you wormed the pup a few days ago?
    When I got the small dog as a pup I wormed her straight away and she had pretty bad case of worms, jelly like poop for few days and small bit of blood about 3rd day, this could be whats happened.
    Just keep a close eye on the pups as it could be a lot of things. Get some brown rice and a chicken fillet on the way home, boil them up together(chop the chicken first), don't use seasoning or stock just water and allow to cool, give them a small bit at a time, about every 3 hours and this should firm things up if its just an upset tummy.

mymo wrote: »
    You say you wormed the pup a few days ago?
    When I got the small dog as a pup I wormed her straight away and she had pretty bad case of worms, jelly like poop for few days and small bit of blood about 3rd day, this could be whats happened.
    Just keep a close eye on the pups as it could be a lot of things. Get some brown rice and a chicken fillet on the way home, boil them up together(chop the chicken first), don't use seasoning or stock just water and allow to cool, give them a small bit at a time, about every 3 hours and this should firm things up if its just an upset tummy.

The breeder wormed them not me. But it could be this.

I was told not to give them human food as they wont eat there normal dog food once they get a taste for human food.

NeVeR wrote: »
    The breeder wormed them not me. But it could be this.

I was told not to give them human food as they wont eat there normal dog food once they get a taste for human food.

Yeah they will, obviously they would prefer you to slave over every meal but a couple of days of rice and chicken as suggested previously will really improve an upset tummy and then back to their normal food. I have never had any trouble getting mine back to their normal stuff. When they're hungry they'll eat :D

Yeah they will, obviously they would prefer you to slave over every meal but a couple of days of rice and chicken as suggested previously will really improve an upset tummy and then back to their normal food. I have never had any trouble getting mine back to their normal stuff. When they're hungry they'll eat :D

Thanks i'll try it. ;)

The breeder was supposed to worming the pups 2 weekly when I got my pup, but she still had a bad case of worms. When I phoned the breeder she said they had wormed the mother so there was no need to worm the pups, I informed her otherwise and she apologized for her ignorance, (it was her first litter and the dogs were her pets.)
    Even with the older dog, who I had seen being wormed when I visited him before I got him, and got great advice from the lady about which tablets to use and how often, I wormed him when I got him(he showed no sign of worms thankfully), I would always want to be sure because I have a child.

Oh just to add, with the chicken and brown rice, mix a little of their regular food in after the 2nd day(so long as the poop has firmed up) and gradually cut out the chicken and rice over 2 or 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

When a dog has the runs don't give any food for 24 hours and ensure they are drinking plenty of water. If you feed them anything at all you aren't going to give the tum a chance to rest and relax and it'll just drag out for longer.

Parazole wormer is good, imo anyway I've used it for years on dogs, cats, and guinea pigs etc. with no probs. and no wormies.

Hope the pup is feeling better soon, it could be just a reaction to the 1st vaccination either. Could be one of so many things but deffo. if you're worried at all a vet check will give you peace of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

The breeder was supposed to worming the pups 2 weekly when I got my pup, but she still had a bad case of worms. When I phoned the breeder she said they had wormed the mother so there was no need to worm the pups, I informed her otherwise and she apologized for her ignorance, (it was her first litter and the dogs were her pets.)
    Even with the older dog, who I had seen being wormed when I visited him before I got him, and got great advice from the lady about which tablets to use and how often, I wormed him when I got him(he showed no sign of worms thankfully), I would always want to be sure because I have a child.

Oh just to add, with the chicken and brown rice, mix a little of their regular food in after the 2nd day(so long as the poop has firmed up) and gradually cut out the chicken and rice over 2 or 3 days.

You say you're careful about worming because you have a child. Can humans pick up worms from their dogs?

When I got my pup he had worms. Long white stringy ones, wormed him & within a day he had passed the worms, he had a lot of them which I was a bit worried about. Rang the guy I got the pup off & said it to him but he maintained it was from the mothers milk.

• Advertisement

Hey Guys.

When i got home the second dog did a big normal poop. BUT then a little later she pooped like the other really runny with tiny (tiny) drops of blood.. So now both of them have the same thing !! would it be worms ?,,, it's been about 5 days since the breeder said she wormed them.. or something worst ?

NeVeR wrote: »
    Hey Guys.

When i got home the second dog did a big normal poop. BUT then a little later she pooped like the other really runny with tiny (tiny) drops of blood.. So now both of them have the same thing !! would it be worms ?,,, it's been about 5 days since the breeder said she wormed them.. or something worst ?

Could you ring the vets? An emergency number?
    Just to get advice, but they will more than likely tell you to bring them in for a check.

Honestly we can't tell you whats wrong, only a vet can.
    Are the pups behaving like normal?
    Do they seem sleepy or listless?
    If they seem normal just try starving them until maybe midday tomorrow, then try the chicken and rice.
    If they seem to get worse call the vet, I would call in monday anyway if you can, just to set your mind at ease, the vet will give you advice re worming etc too.

@easyeason3, yes people can pick up worms from pets, thats why worming regularly and good hygiene(wash hands before touching food, after handling pets, etc) are important.

Honestly we can't tell you whats wrong, only a vet can.
    Are the pups behaving like normal?
    Do they seem sleepy or listless?
    If they seem normal just try starving them until maybe midday tomorrow, then try the chicken and rice.
    If they seem to get worse call the vet, I would call in monday anyway if you can, just to set your mind at ease, the vet will give you advice re worming etc too.

@easyeason3, yes people can pick up worms from pets, thats why worming regularly and good hygiene(wash hands before touching food, after handling pets, etc) are important.

Oh right, I never knew!
    When I got my dog he had worms & was wormed the day I got him. Have kept up worming him on a regular basis since he was a pup & haven't seen any sign of them since. I often walk him through town where we meet other dogs & of course he has to sniff other dogs poo!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

You can get a few spots of blood after worming your animals, because the adult worms attach themselves to the walls of the intestinal tract - when they come off due to worming meds, you can get a couple of spots of blood that will show up as traces in the faeces.

You can also get spots of blood in the faeces from straining or irritation of the bowels. A spot, and I literally mean like a drop of ink from a fountain pen when I say 'spot', may be nothing to worry about if the general condition of the animal is good - if they're bright, eating and drinking normally, playing, so on. Any more blood, or if the animal is flat and listless, withdrawn, off its food or drink and showing any other unusual signs (e.g. runny eyes, runny nose, cough, wheeze, curling up in a tight ball, squealing or mewling when touched or lifted) then you really need to see the vet, whatever time of day or night it is.

You can get a few spots of blood after worming your animals, because the adult worms attach themselves to the walls of the intestinal tract - when they come off due to worming meds, you can get a couple of spots of blood that will show up as traces in the faeces.

You can also get spots of blood in the faeces from straining or irritation of the bowels. A spot, and I literally mean like a drop of ink from a fountain pen when I say 'spot', may be nothing to worry about if the general condition of the animal is good - if they're bright, eating and drinking normally, playing, so on. Any more blood, or if the animal is flat and listless, withdrawn, off its food or drink and showing any other unusual signs (e.g. runny eyes, runny nose, cough, wheeze, curling up in a tight ball, squealing or mewling when touched or lifted) then you really need to see the vet, whatever time of day or night it is.

Well this morning they are full of life.. Bouncing around, play fighting with each out... drinking water and eating there food.. also following me all over the place. They've not pooped this morning yet.

That's really good news :D
    Just keep an eye on them and if you are at all concerned go to the vets :)

I will be going to our local vet 1st thing in the morning just to get them checked and ask about the poop. thanks for all the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Betsy18

Hi i would suggest ringing your vets asap! i bought a 8 week old pup 2 days ago and noticed blood in her poo on Friday. she screeched the house down all night and even when she was walking with us she was crying non stop. she only stopped when we lifted her. after getting up after another sleepless nite of screeching i let her out but she was very agitated and within 30 minutes had pooed 4 times. she has blood in all her stools and in the end she was pooing just blood. i rang the vets straight away and was told to take her into them immediately. went in yesterday and the vet tested her and she tested positve for Parvo.

she has been on a drip in the vets since and he said she is a little improved today but they are doing their best for her. the breeder had wormed her and vaccinated her but the vet said it wasnt enough. i have tried contacting the breeder yesterday and all day today but they are not answering my calls. i am afraid of others buying her sisters and brothers and they may be infected.

please get your pup checked asap.

keep ur fingers crossed that mine pulls through!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Betsy18 wrote: »
    Hi i would suggest ringing your vets asap! i bought a 8 week old pup 2 days ago and noticed blood in her poo on Friday. she screeched the house down all night and even when she was walking with us she was crying non stop. she only stopped when we lifted her. after getting up after another sleepless nite of screeching i let her out but she was very agitated and within 30 minutes had pooed 4 times. she has blood in all her stools and in the end she was pooing just blood. i rang the vets straight away and was told to take her into them immediately. went in yesterday and the vet tested her and she tested positve for Parvo.

she has been on a drip in the vets since and he said she is a little improved today but they are doing their best for her. the breeder had wormed her and vaccinated her but the vet said it wasnt enough. i have tried contacting the breeder yesterday and all day today but they are not answering my calls. i am afraid of others buying her sisters and brothers and they may be infected.

please get your pup checked asap.

keep ur fingers crossed that mine pulls through!:(

Finges crossed for your pup. I see she is training you quite well!

Advertisement