Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blood in pup's poo

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Fingers crossed for your pup Betsy18. At least she's in the right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

hope your pup is ok .

My pups are back to normal today.. Poops are fine and no blood. They are still going the vet's tomorrow morning for peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Betsy18 wrote: »
    Hi i would suggest ringing your vets asap! i bought a 8 week old pup 2 days ago and noticed blood in her poo on Friday. she screeched the house down all night and even when she was walking with us she was crying non stop. she only stopped when we lifted her. after getting up after another sleepless nite of screeching i let her out but she was very agitated and within 30 minutes had pooed 4 times. she has blood in all her stools and in the end she was pooing just blood. i rang the vets straight away and was told to take her into them immediately. went in yesterday and the vet tested her and she tested positve for Parvo.

she has been on a drip in the vets since and he said she is a little improved today but they are doing their best for her. the breeder had wormed her and vaccinated her but the vet said it wasnt enough. i have tried contacting the breeder yesterday and all day today but they are not answering my calls. i am afraid of others buying her sisters and brothers and they may be infected.

please get your pup checked asap.

keep ur fingers crossed that mine pulls through!:(

Sorry to hear about your pup and hope she pulls through.
    Do you mind me asking where you got the pup and was the breeder recommended to you? Have you proof the pup was vaccinated etc, as in did you get vacc card from them?
    There are some really dodgy breeders/puppy farmers around unfortunately selling sick pups that have never been wormed or vaccinated. Did you go to the breeders house? If so can you call back and inform them that the pup is very sick? A pup should not get that sick after 2 days so im guessing it was already sick before leaving the breeders house. It would concern me that they arent taking your calls...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Betsy18

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your pup and hope she pulls through.
    Do you mind me asking where you got the pup and was the breeder recommended to you? Have you proof the pup was vaccinated etc, as in did you get vacc card from them?
    There are some really dodgy breeders/puppy farmers around unfortunately selling sick pups that have never been wormed or vaccinated. Did you go to the breeders house? If so can you call back and inform them that the pup is very sick? A pup should not get that sick after 2 days so im guessing it was already sick before leaving the breeders house. It would concern me that they arent taking your calls...
    Hi adreac,
    i seen the pup advertised on a well known website, we arranged to go to the breeders house but by the breeder had to go to their childs match and offered to meet us there, we agreed to this which was our big mistake!!

she was very well off in a big fancy car and had her children with her. they had spoiled the pup and had her in bed with them etc. i dont think she was from a puppy farm as she was well looked after other than this. i do believe however that the breeder knew she wasnt well and still sold her. i am very angry about this but at the moment i'm too caught up worrying about the pup to worry about the breeder. just heard from the vets now that she is a little better but they are keeping her in again tonight. she has so far spent more time in the vets than at home.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Betsy, I hope your pup is ok. It seems you've fallen victim to yet another unscrouplous breeder.
    i seen the pup advertised on a well known website, ......the breeder had to go to their childs match and offered to meet us there, we agreed to this which was our big mistake!!

she was very well off in a big fancy car and had her children with her. they had spoiled the pup and had her in bed with them etc. i dont think she was from a puppy farm as she was well looked after other than this. i do believe however that the breeder knew she wasnt well and still sold her. i am very angry about this but at the moment i'm too caught up worrying about the pup to worry about the breeder. just heard from the vets now that she is a little better but they are keeping her in again tonight. she has so far spent more time in the vets than at home.:(

Please report the ad to the website and tell them what happened and that you cannot contact the breeder. Meeting elsewhere is a common ploy which is why it is always recommended to meet at the breeders home and to see the mother every time and the father if possible.

There is no way to know for sure she was well looked after, my pup had parvo when we got him, he looked perfectly healthy when he arrived and was almost dead 2 days later. He had come from an abandoned litter in a rough estate. Left out the back for dead with the mother and siblings after the owners moved. But until falling sick, was healthy looking.

Keep faith though, I was told Harley was as good as dead, he couldn't lift his head and the vet told us to prepare for the worst. He pulled through and is now perfectly healthy (despite my being told by some people to have him PTS as he "would never be right"). Your pup is in the right place now to get better. :) Keep us updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hi adreac,
    i seen the pup advertised on a well known website, we arranged to go to the breeders house but by the breeder had to go to their childs match and offered to meet us there, we agreed to this which was our big mistake!!

That would be alarm bells for me straight away. You should ALWAYS go to the breeders home and if they dont allow it then walk away, its a really bad sign. Did you go to the breeders home at any stage to see the pup with its mother and siblings?
    Im sorry this has happened to your little pup and i hope he pulls through.
    These scum bag so called breeders have a knack of getting around people and sounding all nice so you feel sorry for the pups and hand over your hard earned cash, makes my blood boil, but people really need to do a lot more research into their breeders before buying a dog, as the saying goes "Buyer Beware".

Thanks for the comments and advice guys. No we fell in love with the pups picture on the website and did not go to see the mother! it was a silly mistake on our behalf as we knew we should see the mother first. we just fell for her and that took over. i asked for evidence of her vaccinations etc and was given a card with dates and vaccinations, wormed etc but turns out this was not from a registered vet they had obviously done this themselves!

the vet has said that she was vaccinated too early which is why she contracted parvo. the poor wee thing. we both feel so bad as she had screeched the place down for 2 nights in a row non stop and we thought it was just that she was missing her mother. feel sooo bad now.:(

i am going to report this breeder now as i feel i have tried enough now to get in contact with her to no avail.

NeVer i'm so sorry for hijacking your post by the way!!!:)

my puppy came home today!!!:D she is alot brighter and it took her a while to come round to us again. i have her lying on a cushion with a hot water bottle under it now and shes loving it! the vet said she still screeched every nite whilst there so i am hoping that she dosent tonight!! at the minute she is pooing and peeing everywhere so we are running after her. she had been very good beforehand and had been using the puppy pads but shes ignoring them now! i'm hoping this is another short term thing and hope she comes out of it soon!! thanks for all the support over the weekend guys!x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Congrats Betsy, hope your little puppy is ok now. She probably will screech the place down again tonight, seperation from mother won't go away immediately. Have you tried a radio down low and one of your tshirts (worn obviously) so she can get your scent and think you're around? It can comfort them

From a litter of 5 puppies I now only have one left, all the others were taken by members of my family and vaccinated seperately at 8 weeks. This one is heading to his new home on Friday and has been vaccinated today. He's a great little guy and I will be so so sad to see him go.

Congrats Betsy, hope your little puppy is ok now. She probably will screech the place down again tonight, seperation from mother won't go away immediately. Have you tried a radio down low and one of your tshirts (worn obviously) so she can get your scent and think you're around? It can comfort them

From a litter of 5 puppies I now only have one left, all the others were taken by members of my family and vaccinated seperately at 8 weeks. This one is heading to his new home on Friday and has been vaccinated today. He's a great little guy and I will be so so sad to see him go.

Hi Adrienne, she has been in bed now 10 mins and hasnt cried so far, that is the longest yet!!fingers crossed she will do good tonite!! i have tried the radio and a night light to no avail. i will try the tshirt idea if she screeches tonite tho! hope ur puppies do ok too and it dosent take long to get attached to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

Hey Betsy

So glad your little puppy pulled through, it must be a huge relief.

NeVer, will you update to let us know how your little babies are?

Bella.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Great news!

ah thats great news. My pups are fine to. but didnt want to post anything incase your was not alright.

NeVer so glad your pup is doing good! My pup has been great since she got home, she has slept the last two nights in the spare bathroom on her own without crying or screeching. i had mentioned it to the vet and they suggested putting a hot water bottle under their cushion. i did that and she loves it!!:D i'm sooo happy she is sleeping now and is more relaxed.

NeVer so glad your pup is doing good! My pup has been great since she got home, she has slept the last two nights in the spare bathroom on her own without crying or screeching. i had mentioned it to the vet and they suggested putting a hot water bottle under their cushion. i did that and she loves it!!:D i'm sooo happy she is sleeping now and is more relaxed.

Yea they think it's the heat of the mother. Also maybe put a small ticking clock they think it's the heart beat of the mother.

We have 2 pups and they never cry.. cos they have each other at night :) thank god.

Hi Guys,

THought i'd update you all on my puppy. she got out of the vets on Tuesday and has slept all night since then. she finished her antibiotics on Friday and has had runny poo but i put this down to the antibiotics. i noticed on Saturday that there was a slight bit of blood in her poo and was worried about it. i kept an eye on her throughout the day. my husband was up with her yesterday morning and said there was quiet a bit of blood in her poo and i should contact the vets. i noticed the next time that she went it was all blood, i rang the vets straigtaway and was asked to take her in asap. she was given an injection and has been kept in to be put on a drip, they are going to keep an eye on her now until the bleeding stops. the vet said it is unlikely that parvo has returned but she wasnt sure what was wrong. i was a mess yesterday and hardly slept over it last night i keep picturing her wee face.

i'm going to ring the vets now and see if they are any wiser as to what is wrong. fingers crossed its not serious!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Hi Guys,

THought i'd update you all on my puppy. she got out of the vets on Tuesday and has slept all night since then. she finished her antibiotics on Friday and has had runny poo but i put this down to the antibiotics. i noticed on Saturday that there was a slight bit of blood in her poo and was worried about it. i kept an eye on her throughout the day. my husband was up with her yesterday morning and said there was quiet a bit of blood in her poo and i should contact the vets. i noticed the next time that she went it was all blood, i rang the vets straigtaway and was asked to take her in asap. she was given an injection and has been kept in to be put on a drip, they are going to keep an eye on her now until the bleeding stops. the vet said it is unlikely that parvo has returned but she wasnt sure what was wrong. i was a mess yesterday and hardly slept over it last night i keep picturing her wee face.

i'm going to ring the vets now and see if they are any wiser as to what is wrong. fingers crossed its not serious!:(

I'm so sorry to hear you puppy is ill again :( I have my fingers and toes crossed that she is ok. Please if you can, keep us updated on her progress. I'm certain that everyone on here will join me in sending you both best wishes.

Advertisement