Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Irish a dead language?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Can I ask the pro Irish people something? Why do you want to force other people to learn this language who don't want to learn it?

If people dont want to learn Irish, there is nothing to stop them not learning it.

The figures for people who are 'Anti-Irish' are hanging just around 7%.

Interesting that the figure for exemptions from Irish is just around 10%

Unlike what some posters would like us to believe, there is no law that forces anyone to learn Irish, nor is there a requirement to sit Irish for the LC.

Isnt it a bit of a vanity project at this stage where science and math and other things can be learned instead of Irish and Religion?

Things like Science and Math are learned as well as Irish. (Religion has no place in this discussion or in schools)
    Maybe an afterschool program for kids is more appropriate?

I don't think you will find much support for that suggestion, but feel free to try.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

If people dont want to learn Irish, there is nothing to stop them not learning it.

The figures for people who are 'Anti-Irish' are hanging just around 7%.

Interesting that the figure for exemptions from Irish is just around 10%

Unlike what some posters would like us to believe, there is no law that forces anyone to learn Irish, nor is there a requirement to sit Irish for the LC.

Irish is a compulsory subject it was only a month ago when you were complaining about the possiblity of becoming optional

• Registered Users Posts: 42 faobhar

Can I ask the pro Irish people something? Why do you want to force other people to learn this language who don't want to learn it?

Isnt it a bit of a vanity project at this stage where science and math and other things can be learned instead of Irish and Religion?

Maybe an afterschool program for kids is more appropriate?

Those are worthwhile questions.

Compulsory subjects are blunt tools that provoke animosity, and to be honest I completely support the 'new' Fine Gael policy of reforming the way the language is taught and then making it compulsory. But only once the teaching has been brought up to acceptable European standards. In the meantime, removing Irish's compulsory status would most likely lead to significant decline in the language's viability (as has been demonstrated by international experience) before it ever got a fair hand from the Irish education system. In any case, under the present circumstances there is indeed a quite strong ideological argument for compulsory Irish insofar as it is our national language. Before opponents of Irish attack its place in the education system you ought to seek revision of its constitutional status.

As for more science and math.... do you really think just teaching more of a subject is going to make students like it more? Those two subjects are also greatly in need of reform (even after this whole 'project maths' idea).

NTMK wrote: »
    Irish is a compulsory subject it was only a month ago when you were complaining about the possiblity of becoming optional

Irish is a compulsory subject, does that mean there is no posibility of not doing it if you don't want to?

In order to get out of doing the language you basically have to prove your completely incapable to do the langauge so basically the language is forced on you

• Advertisement

NTMK wrote: »
    In order to get out of doing the language you basically have to prove your completely incapable to do the langauge so basically the language is forced on you

Not entirely true, there is really nothing to stop you from just refusing to do it.

As I said, there is no law making people do it, and there is no requirement to sit the Irish Exam.

It is possible to just not do it.

On that basis, Irish is no more compulsory than English or maths.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Not entirely true, there is really nothing to stop you from just refusing to do it.

As I said, there is no law making people do it, and there is no requirement to sit the Irish Exam.

On that basis, Irish is no more compulsory than English or maths.

Except, as was pointed out several times during the general elections, Irish IS complusory and is the only subject that is legally compulsory as judged by the department of education.

To be eligible to get out of the subject, you must be...

* Students whose primary education up to 11 years of age was received in Northern Ireland or outside Ireland
    * Students who were enrolled in a primary or post-primary school and who are now enrolling again after having been abroad. The student must have been abroad for at least three years. The student must be at least 11 years of age when re-enrolling.
    * Students who function at an average or above-average level of ability, but who have a specific learning difficulty that is so severe that they cannot reach expected levels of attainment in their mother tongue.
    * Students who have a general learning disability due to a serious intellectual impairment and who are not acquiring basic language skills in their mother tongue.
    * Students who have a general learning disability on account of a serious sensory impairment, and who are not learning basic language skills in their mother tongue

Source: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/the_irish_education_system/exemption_from_irish.html

So you cannot just choose not to do the language, at least not without proving there is something wrong with your ability to learn. To do that, you mst provide psychologist documentation to prove you have a learning disability. The other option is to come from outside the country, which I'd imagine isn't an option for most :p And I do not know what school you went to, but you cannot simply "refuse" to do a subject without serious ramifications from the school, especially a core and compulsory subject.

Except, as was pointed out several times during the general elections, Irish IS complusory and is the only subject that is legally compulsory as judged by the department of education.

To be eligible to get out of the subject, you must be...

* Students whose primary education up to 11 years of age was received in Northern Ireland or outside Ireland
    * Students who were enrolled in a primary or post-primary school and who are now enrolling again after having been abroad. The student must have been abroad for at least three years. The student must be at least 11 years of age when re-enrolling.
    * Students who function at an average or above-average level of ability, but who have a specific learning difficulty that is so severe that they cannot reach expected levels of attainment in their mother tongue.
    * Students who have a general learning disability due to a serious intellectual impairment and who are not acquiring basic language skills in their mother tongue.
    * Students who have a general learning disability on account of a serious sensory impairment, and who are not learning basic language skills in their mother tongue

Source: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/the_irish_education_system/exemption_from_irish.html

So you cannot just choose not to do the language, at least not without proving there is something wrong with your ability to learn. To do that, you mst provide psychologist documentation to prove you have a learning disability. The other option is to come from outside the country, which I'd imagine isn't an option for most :p And I do not know what school you went to, but you cannot simply "refuse" to do a subject without serious ramifications from the school, especially a core and compulsory subject.

What kind of ramifications? The school can't make you sit the exam.

They can place you in an Irish class, but they can't make you take part.

If the student does not want to do it, nothing can be done by the school to force them.

The subject is not 'Legally Compulsory'

The mechanism for schools getting a capitation for a student is that the student is registered as taking Irish as a subject.

If the student doesn't do Irish, the school doesn't get any money for teaching them. As such, the schools make Irish compulsory.

If the student does not want to do it, nothing can be done by the school to force them.

The mechanism for schools getting a capitation for a student is that the student is registered as taking Irish as a subject.

If the student doesn't do Irish, the school doesn't get any money for teaching them. As such, the schools make Irish compulsory.

Lets if you dont pay attention in class you get thrown out
    You dont attend you can get suspended or worse
    Do other work in the class yoy are thrown out

It is still forced on you whether or not you sit the exam or not and as said above unless you get a medical report saying you cant do the langauge its forced on you

As far as "Just don't sit it" goes, my attitude would be there I'd rather get a bad mark then be put down as a fail when it comes time to give out results. Furthermore, taking that attitude would thus exclude me from being able to go to an NUI University, as is noted...

http://www.nui.ie/college/entry-requirements.asp

For entry to all degrees, English, Irish, and four other subjects in the Leaving Certificate (GCE/GCSE or other acceptable qualification) are required.

A third language must be included among the other subjects for Arts, Human Sciences, Law, Social Science, Commerce, Medicine and Health Sciences and some other degrees.

Choosing to not do Irish without getting a proper exemption means that a student would be screwing themselves over if they want to go on to do a Uni course, and that's not fair in the slightest.

EDIT: And to make a quick pre-empitve response, yes it's unfair that English is compuslory there as well. Not claiming otherwise. ALL SUBJECTS SHOULD BE OPTIONAL COME LEAVING CERT LEVEL. Everyone should get a full choice.

As for "schools make Irish compulsory", didn't we clear all that up back during the elections when it was confirmed that Irish is the only subject the department of education classifies as compulsory? Hell, here's a quote from Mary Hanafin with regards that situation...

In accordance with the rules and programme for secondary schools, the approved course for the established leaving certificate must include Irish and not less than four of the following examination subjects, all of which are optional.....

(Source: Taken from a thread over at Politics.ie,
    http://www.politics.ie/education-science/152500-irish-only-compulsory-subject-leaving-cert.html)

What irks me here is I thought this had been cleared up weeks ago but you've seemingly decided to reignite that flame again....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

It would save the child a lot of ordeal if Irish was optional.

Let's stop thinking about what's best for the language and put people first for a change.

As far as "Just don't sit it" goes, my attitude would be there I'd rather get a bad mark then be put down as a fail when it comes time to give out results. Furthermore, taking that attitude would thus exclude me from being able to go to an NUI University, as is noted...

http://www.nui.ie/college/entry-requirements.asp

For entry to all degrees, English, Irish, and four other subjects in the Leaving Certificate (GCE/GCSE or other acceptable qualification) are required.

A third language must be included among the other subjects for Arts, Human Sciences, Law, Social Science, Commerce, Medicine and Health Sciences and some other degrees.

Choosing to not do Irish without getting a proper exemption means that a student would be screwing themselves over if they want to go on to do a Uni course, and that's not fair in the slightest.

EDIT: And to make a quick pre-empitve response, yes it's unfair that English is compuslory there as well. Not claiming otherwise. ALL SUBJECTS SHOULD BE OPTIONAL COME LEAVING CERT LEVEL. Everyone should get a full choice.

As for "schools make Irish compulsory", didn't we clear all that up back during the elections when it was confirmed that Irish is the only subject the department of education classifies as compulsory? Hell, here's a quote from Mary Hanafin with regards that situation...

In accordance with the rules and programme for secondary schools, the approved course for the established leaving certificate must include Irish and not less than four of the following examination subjects, all of which are optional.....

(Source: Taken from a thread over at Politics.ie,
    http://www.politics.ie/education-science/152500-irish-only-compulsory-subject-leaving-cert.html)

What irks me here is I thought this had been cleared up weeks ago but you've seemingly decided to reignite that flame again....

I am simply pointing out that Irish is not as compulsory as some would like to put forward, in terms of English and maths, there is far less option not to do them than there is Irish. Yet Irish is supposedly the only compulsory subject.

Irish is compulsory for the reason I have said.

If schools did not make Irish compulsory they would suffer a financial hit, as such they make Irish compulsory.

As for screwing themselves over in terms of a Uni course, the very same is true for supposedly 'optional' English and Maths'

Several people have claimed that Irish is the only compulsory subject. I don't recall you making that point in relation to those claims.

Lordy, lordy...
    I am simply pointing out that Irish is not as compulsory as some would like to put forward, in terms of English and maths, there is far less option not to do them than there is Irish. Yet Irish is supposedly the only compulsory subject.

You're right, it is not as compulsory. It is more so. It is the only subject that the Department of Education decrees IS 100% complusory. This was brought up, discussed and achknowledged in the leader debates on TG4 (Ironic that I'm the one using the TG4 content in this debate, me thinks), where Enda Kenny noted it and the other two said he was wrong. Low and behold, the next day, it was announced in all media outlets that he was right; Irish is the ONLY compulsory subject according to the DofE. The others are compulsory in most schools for various reasons, top most being the Uni application process, but Irish is the one they have no choice in.

I went back through the topic (<3 search engine) and found the discussion from the night that debate took place on TG4. Several people from both sides discussed it, but I notice you actually ignored that point, as you seem to be doing now. It's around page 212 btw, if you fancy a look.

But don't let me ruin your perfect little image of why Irish is compulsory in schools. I mean, I've only got the offical Department line and the word of the Taosiach to go on, right?

If schools did not make Irish compulsory they would suffer a financial hit, as such they make Irish compulsory.

Well, I guess this is right ina roundabout way. I'd imagine if they denied the Department's ruling on what the offical compulsory subject is, they would suffer as a result. But you need to pull back a bit to get the full picture there...
    As for screwing themselves over in terms of a Uni course, the very same is true for supposedly 'optional' English and Maths'

Several people have claimed that Irish is the only compulsory subject. I don't recall you making that point in relation to those claims.

So glad I made that quick edit to the post above now...

Again, I say...

I've said multiple, multiple times now that I believe both Eng and Maths should get the same treatment in terms of being made optional. But please, continue to pretend I have not cause again, I really don't want to destroy that deluded image you've painted for yourself of my stance here...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 faobhar

OK can we move on from the debate on 'is it/is it not compulsory' now? I think it's been well trashed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

faobhar wrote: »
    OK can we move on from the debate on 'is it/is it not compulsory' now? I think it's been well trashed out.

Unfortunately, despite it having been pointed out a number of times on this thread that Irish is the only compulsory language, and being backed up by solid evidence, certain posters continue to insist that other subjects are also compulsory which is factually not the case.

There is a consistent pattern that when certain arguments are disproved and rejected this is subsequently ignored and the same argument resurfaces twenty pages later.

For example, I pointed out the flaws in the Language Commissioner's statement on the Clare County Council report (see my post 3560 on page 238) yet I fully expect to see the same argument that only around 2% of the cost was for the Irish element of that document to resurface in a few pages.

Ditto the two reports on the prevalence of Irish which have been discredited because of the stance of those who commissioned the Reports as they are continually quoted again and again despite their dubious credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    It would save the child a lot of ordeal if Irish was optional.

Let's stop thinking about what's best for the language and put people first for a change.

Question I have though is why is it an Ordeal, learning French or German in school is never put down as an Ordeal, what I'm trying to get at is Curriculum, there's no reason why Irish cannot be thought like any other non L1 language(L1 -> First Language) for people whose L1 language is English. Instead the approach that is taken is:

" You are in secondary school we going to make an assumption that you learnt the language in primary school and thus equivalent to an L1 speaker -- now lets do poetry and literature"

I think in general alot of people have better Irish going into 1st year in secondary school then when they do their leaving cert. Why is this?

Simple the curriculum is completely outdated and unsuited for language learners. It's very similar in format to the English curriculum, if everyone was a native-speaker this would make sense. In the case where people are learning Irish as a second language then it's stupid.

In my opinion the curriculum up until Junior cert should be equivalent of that of any other european language thought in schools, it should be focus around communicative uses of language with regards to speaking, understanding and been able to read. Instead of asking people to write essays on something like "Ireland is now a pluralistic society -- discuss the implications for the future" -- that wouldn't even be a topic most students could discuss fully in english let alone Irish. The written aspects should be based more around stuff like newspaper articles, everyday items of written language usage etc. (emphasis on comprehension not formulaic answers).

For Irish-medium schools it would probably make sense to either have a different curriculum or an additional subject (compulsory) based more on the "literature aspects" (the second course could be optional in non-Gaelcholáiste).

In general the problem I find with the discussion is that everyone knows there are issues with the Curriculum, however instead of proposing change to reflect modern language teaching methodology the only choices proposed are:
    1. Keep everything the same a always
    2. Make it optional (while also not changing the curriculum)

faobhar wrote: »

Just to add to Godge, and people may disagree, but I can't help but feel the compuslory question is the biggest one in any discussion on the prevelance of Irish. It's really the only time in our lives that everyone is subjected to the subject.

Outside of schools, everyone is given the choice of whether to use it or not, and outside of schools, the question doesn't matter; people who speak Irish speak it, and those who don't want to do have to. In otherwords, outside of the debate on the academic nature of the language, everyone gets to make their own opinion of the question and adjust their lives accordingly.

Schools are the only place where people don't get to make said priorities for themselves and thus is, in my opinion, the biggest part of the debate :/

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭gimme5minutes

On that basis, Irish is no more compulsory than English or maths. I am simply pointing out that Irish is not as compulsory as some would like to put forward, in terms of English and maths, there is far less option not to do them than there is Irish. Yet Irish is supposedly the only compulsory subject.

Here you are now saying Irish 'isn't really compulsory' and downplaying what compulsory means. Yet you have spent dozens (hundreds) of pages on this forum arguing vigorously that it should remain compulsory. If it's not really that compulsory at all now as you are putting it why were you making such a big deal out of the government changing it to optional. :rolleyes:

I hope to god they do go ahead and make it optional now, Ireland is progressing alot lately, we've ditched alot of factors holding us back such as FF and the church and another thing we need to ditch is the vested interests trying to ram the irish language down the throats of students who dont want to learn it, and in the process costing the taxpayer millions and wasting countless hours that could be better spent learning someone else.

Answer me this. Say I am a LC student. I hate Irish and have always been useless at it. I would like to do drop it and do applied maths instead which I am good at and foresee myself using in my future career. Why in the name of god should I be forced to do Irish in this situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

English and Maths are required for Uni because the Uni requires them.

A *third* language is required because the Uni requires them.

Two science subjects are required for a science course because the Uni requires them.

Honours maths is required for a maths course because the Uni requires it.

Irish is required because the state requires it.

Trinity College Dublin does not require Irish.

It is the leading Irish third level institute.

It does not require Irish.

How can you go to an Irish Uni, without doing Irish? Don't be Irish :) (or go to Trinity).

It's compulsory, it's compulsory, it's compulsory. Saying anything else is just hand waving bullsh*t used to support the compulsory position. It's like saying paying your taxes is optional.

Why not make it optional?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

So the main problem is the poor standard of Irish after people leave school?
    Surely then the solution would be to improve how the subject is taught?
    You're assuming that the pupils actually wanted to learn to be fluent in Irish. For most Irish people, having the 'cupla focal' is sufficient. This should take just a 'cupla' weeks, not 14 years.
    Forcing someone to speak a language other than their native language? You mean exactly what happens when Native Irish speakers are forced to use English when dealing with the government?
    So, compulsory lessons are a form of revenge/retaliation for wrongs inflicted on bilingual native Irish/English speakers?
    How many countries in Europe do not have compulsory language learning as part of their education system?:rolleyes:
    Interesting question, which countries?
    I have outlined my opinion on the matter, several times, you have consistently refused to accept what I have said.
    If I understand it correctly, you are an activist committee member of an organisation, whose Main Aim you disagree with? The Main Aim is central to the matter under discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

A brigade of straw men? When I hear the word 'brigade' used like this, it's usually when the likes of Clarkson or Myers are lining up a fictitious target for the amusement of their readers.

So, instead of using reason, just impose the language on the 'unbelievers'?

Has it occurred to you that the significance of Irish is not infinite and might have limits?

You can continue to wallow in your own ignorant denial, it really doesn't bother me.

If the supposedly most West-British party (FG) has taken a step back and accepted that optional Irish is not the way forward then I can only agree with them in that regard.

It may have limits, but those limits should not begin aged 14 or 15.

There is no reason to impose English or Maths at LC yet it is done. Do not throw out the empty argument that English and Maths are not compulsory, they are. No one in my school was given any choice in that matter.

Anyway, I've grown weary of arguing in circles with someone who doesn't like the language. Go n-éirí an t-adh leat mo chara.

Just to add to Godge, and people may disagree, but I can't help but feel the compuslory question is the biggest one in any discussion on the prevelance of Irish. It's really the only time in our lives that everyone is subjected to the subject.

This is really the problem, Some people cannot see outside their own opinions.

Perhaps you were subjected to the subject, but Everyone? Far from it, Most people are happy to learn Irish.

Its called catastrophic thinking.

Everyone is out to get me, or You ALWAYS do that.... would be other examples.

Not everyone is out to get you, Some people maybe, but not everyone.
    They may do it sometimes, but always? No.

Everyone is subjected to Irish? No, some people are subjected to Irish, not everyone, and from what I have seen, most people are not 'subjected' to it.

So then the issue turns to why some people feel 'subjected' to the subject?

From everything I have seen and heard, by far the biggest complaint is the stupid way it is taught.
    That then is the place to start in my opinion, How it is taught.

Godge wrote: »
    Unfortunately, despite it having been pointed out a number of times on this thread that Irish is the only compulsory language, and being backed up by solid evidence, certain posters continue to insist that other subjects are also compulsory which is factually not the case.

So Irish is the only compulsory subject?

Talk about rose tinted glasses.

Show me a single person in the state who was given the option of Not doing English or Maths.

English and Maths are optional? But no option is given, how then are they optional? Its a logical failure.

The Ironic thing is that there are plenty of people who were given the option of not doing Irish, Our only compulsory subject.:rolleyes:

You're assuming that the pupils actually wanted to learn to be fluent in Irish. For most Irish people, having the 'cupla focal' is sufficient. This should take just a 'cupla' weeks, not 14 years.

No, You used that poor results are achieved as part of your argument. I then challenged you on that line of argument and suggested that if poor results are an issue surely the solution is to teach the subject better.

You are now just trying to dodge the point I made. I never made any asumption about what most Irish people want.
    Please respond to the point I made rateher than trying to avoid it by misrepresenting my argument.

So, compulsory lessons are a form of revenge/retaliation for wrongs inflicted on bilingual native Irish/English speakers?

No, I dont recall saying anything even close to that. Another instance of you dodging the point I was making by trying to misrepresent my argument.

Any chance you might try to engage in fair and reasonable debate?

You claimed being forced to speak a language other than your native language is a human rights abuse.

On this you are an absolute hypocrite as you have favored Native Irish speakers being forced to use English on several occaitions.

Interesting question, which countries?

A Handful. Scotland is the only one I can think of off hand.
    If I understand it correctly, you are an activist committee member of an organisation, whose Main Aim you disagree with? The Main Aim is central to the matter under discussion.

My membership or not of any organisation is not at issue.

You may attack me for my opinions, but not who I am, Play the ball not the man.

*Reported again by the way*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

There is no reason to impose English or Maths at LC yet it is done. Do not throw out the empty argument that English and Maths are not compulsory, they are. No one in my school was given any choice in that matter.

There are at least good arguments to be made for English and Maths being compulsory. English because it's not only our first spoken language but the international language of business aswell. You won't get far these days without a good command of English. As for Maths, well numeracy is undeniably important, though you could I suppose argue that that might not necessarily apply to everyone. Not saying those two subjects should absolutely be compulsory, just that a good case can be argued for it, especially with English. In the case of Irish language, it's impossible to argue any sort of case for why it should be compulsory at LC level. Because there isn't one.

From everything I have seen and heard, by far the biggest complaint is the stupid way it is taught.
    That then is the place to start in my opinion, How it is taught.

That is absolutely the case. It's taught in such a boring, unimaginative and outdated way as to make kids lose interest and see learning Irish as a chore. For those like yourself who want the language revived and enlivened, that's the place to start for sure. It's a ludicrous waste of educational time that we have so many kids spending 13 years in school 'learning' Irish and yet still can't speak it in anything more than the most basic way, if at all.

astrofool wrote: »
    English and Maths are required for Uni because the Uni requires them.

A *third* language is required because the Uni requires them.

Two science subjects are required for a science course because the Uni requires them.

Honours maths is required for a maths course because the Uni requires it.

Irish is required because the state requires it.

Source? NUI sets out its requirments like anyone else.

Trinity College Dublin does not require Irish.

It is the leading Irish third level institute.

It does not require Irish.

No it isent, UCD is the leading third level institute, and it dose require Irish.

TCD has a reputation that was formed many years ago. Today however, it is not the top of the pile. I know people who have turned down places in TCD to go to an IT because the IT's course was better.

It's compulsory, it's compulsory, it's compulsory. Saying anything else is just hand waving bullsh*t used to support the compulsory position. It's like saying paying your taxes is optional.

I never said Irish was optional, I said it is not the only Compulsory subject, saying anything else is just hand waving bull*** used to attack its compulsory position, Saying English and Maths are optional is like saying paying your taxs is optional. Simply not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Trenchman

Just a question here lads but is there anything currently being done to revise the Irish curriculum in secondary schools or is it merely being investigated or whats going on?

This thread looks like it's going to run and run. It's gas the way people automaticaly assume that you're either pro-Irish language or anti-Irish language - there's no middle ground. Look, I love the Irish language and I am proud that it is alive and being spoken daily by a minority of people in this country. I fully respect peoples choice as to whether they like the language or not. I have no problem with someone who comes along and says 'I dislike the language and I can't speak a word.' But I do fail to see the fairness in being criticised if I or others like me happen to like the language.

I think we should steer away from going back down the compulsory/non compulsory/I hated it in school/I loved it in school debate again. It's kind of been done to death on this thread from what I've seen. I think someone mentioned earlier that we're all in agreement that the langauge has problems in secondary school. Hopefully this will be addressed by the new government.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    There are at least good arguments to be made for English and Maths being compulsory. English because it's not only our first spoken language but the international language of business aswell. You won't get far these days without a good command of English. As for Maths, well numeracy is undeniably important, though you could I suppose argue that that might not necessarily apply to everyone. Not saying those two subjects should absolutely be compulsory, just that a good case can be argued for it, especially with English. In the case of Irish language, it's impossible to argue any sort of case for why it should be compulsory at LC level. Because there isn't one.

Argh! You already have a good grasp of the English language when you reach JC level. Shakespeare, Patrick Kavanagh, Antarctic and My Left Foot have not helped my get ahead in business in later life (apart from allowing everyone to have a cheap laugh!). Can people stop ignoring blatantly obvious facts, please and thank you.

Not everything in the world is about making money. The Irish language is something we should cherish, not because it will make us an extra punt, but because it is part of what we are; it is distinctly Irish and not many things can be said to be distinctly Irish (apart from an astounding talent to argue over matters of symbolism regarding our nationality, of course!).

Trenchman wrote: »
    Just a question here lads but is there anything currently being done to revise the Irish curriculum in secondary schools or is it merely being investigated or whats going on?

5th years in 2010/2011 started a new LC Irish course with more of an emphasis on the oral part of the subject, and rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

if poor results are an issue surely the solution is to teach the subject better.
    No matter how nicely or well the language is imposed, it will not not learned or spoken if the pupil does not wish it. Look at what is happening in the Gaeltacht, native Irish speaking children are switching to English, is this because Irish is taught badly?
    On this you are an absolute hypocrite as you have favored Native Irish speakers being forced to use English on several occaitions.
    They are both native Irish and native English speakers, they are bilingual. But at least we agree that it is wrong to force anyone to speak a language other than their native language.
    My membership or not of any organisation is not at issue.....
    You may attack me for my opinions, but not who I am, Play the ball not the man.
    Your membership of CnaG demonstrates support of the Main Aim, it is the expression, by action, of an opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement