Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Irish a dead language?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

faobhar wrote: »
    You know the Jameson Dublin Film Festival? You know IMMA? You know the the Dublin' Writers Festival? You know the Kilkenny Cat Laughs Festival?
    The state does not force everyone to endure 14 years of compulsory attendance at the Cat Laughs Festival, nor does it pass laws forcing galleries to give equal space to modern and impressionist art.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 faobhar

The state does not force everyone to endure 14 years of compulsory attendance at the Cat Laughs Festival, nor does it pass laws forcing galleries to give equal space to modern and impressionist art.

Nor does it force people to buy Gaelscéal. What was that about goalposts...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

I am no more anti-Irish than you are against human rights.

Given that the majority do not speak Irish when once they are no longer compelled to do so, I think that you should accept the possibility that 14 years of compulsory lessons a very inefficient way to give everyone a 'cupla focal'. This could easily be achieved in a day.

What an outrageous attempt to dismiss a reasonable argument with a sensationalist argument. I'm in favour of the Irish language, are most certainly are not. Don't argue the point, it undermines everything else you have to say.

Teaching people Irish for a day is not the answer. Good god.

Teaching people Irish for a day is not the answer.
    The answer to what, exactly?

The answer to what, exactly?

The answer to improving the teaching of the Irish language in our primary and more specifically, our secondary schools. Initially, you were against the apparent imposition of a language spoken on this island for at least 1,700 years. Now that you've realised that that is a stupid suggestion, you've pulled the classic anti-Irish line and moved the goalposts by questioning why I believe the Irish language should be taught in our schools. It's total hypocrisy and unless you can come up with an even mildly intelligent point in your next post, I won't waste my time. I don't care how condescending this sounds, you should understand how incorrect you are.

• Advertisement

The answer to improving the teaching of the Irish language in our primary and more specifically, our secondary schools
    Ok, then, two days, that should be enough to master some basic comments about the weather, in addition to the greetings covered in day one. beyond that, what's the point? The majority will use English in their daily lives and learn a useful foreign language.For the average person, 14 years of Irish is ludicrous.
    . Initially, you were against the apparent imposition of a language spoken on this island for at least 1,700 years. Now that you've realised that that is a stupid suggestion
    It is of course a stupid idea to try and reinstate Irish as the common tongue of Ireland, but it is the main aim of an organisation which claims to represent the Irish language. This, I believe is the reason for the fanatical defense of compulsory Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Ok, then, two days, that should be enough to master some basic comments about the weather, in addition to the greetings covered in day one. beyond that, what's the point? The majority will use English in their daily lives and learn a useful foreign language.For the average person, 14 years of Irish is ludicrous.

Do you think the majority of people would be ok with that? Do you honestly think people would accept Irish being abandoned in such a way?

Do you honestly think people would accept Irish being abandoned in such a way?
    The majority already have abandoned speaking Irish.

The majority already have abandoned speaking Irish.

Ah but you are not answering the question, and see here is where you are missing the point.

A large volume of studies in Canada have shown that, for Canadians, the ideal situation in their country would be that c. 20% of Canadians would be daily speakers of French and that around 50% of the population would be effectively bilingual. Even those who speak no French see this as important to Canadian identity and cultural distinctiveness and, for the most part, support the French language being promoted within the education system.

Why is it so hard to conceive that just because a majority of the Irish people aren't fluent in Irish at present, that they don't want (as is their democratic right) to see the language flourish and see more and more people become Irish speakers?

Why is it so hard to conceive that just because a majority of the Irish people aren't fluent in Irish at present, that they don't want (as is their democratic right) to see the language flourish and see more and more people become Irish speakers?
    Do they so much want to see the language flourish, that they will, each and every one of them go to the time, effort and expense of actually learning to speak Irish?

Just because people like idea of other people speaking Irish, does not mean that the new golden age of the realisation Main Aim is dawning.

• Advertisement

Do they so much want to see the language flourish, that they will, each and every one of them go to the time, effort and expense of actually learning to speak Irish?

Just because people like idea of other people speaking Irish, does not mean that the new golden age of the realisation Main Aim is dawning.

As to your first point, please refer back to my post above.

And what is with the Main Aim crap again - I have specifically stated on several occasions I do not subscribe to the CnaG view of the world - why do you keep throwing it at me? It is bordering on harassment at this stage.

As to your first point, please refer back to my post above.
    Ireland is not Canada. An overwhelming majority of the community here is native English speaking.
    And what is with the Main Aim crap again - I have specifically stated on several occasions I do not subscribe to the CnaG view of the world - why do you keep throwing it at me? It is bordering on harassment at this stage.
    It may not be your personal view, and as a reasonable person, you are rightly embarrassed the how absurd it is, but it is an important feature in the foundation of Irish language policy, which is the reason why such massive resources are thrown at forcing English speaking children to learn Irish. Any reasonable person would recognise that after ones native language, any other should be optional.

It may not be your personal view, and as a reasonable person, you are rightly embarrassed the how absurd it is, but it is an important feature in the foundation of Irish language policy, which is the reason why such massive resources are thrown at forcing English speaking children to learn Irish. Any reasonable person would recognise that after ones native language, any other should be optional.

The title of this thread is 'Is Irish a dead language?". The discussion revolves around the place of Irish in society. Some people seem to think that that equates to a discussion on compulsory Irish in the education system as if there were no other subjects (more) worthy of debate. I feel the compulsory Irish debate has been done to death, everyone has dug their trenches and seem to be firmly staying there (bar deisegodeo's one olive branch), and I have tried to introduce some new directions to the discussion. In any case I abhor having the Main Aim argument (point/rhetoric/cliché?) thrown at me whenever I try and move the debate forward - you are more than entitled to make the point, and it's a point worth making, but you've had your say and it has nothing to do with me any more.

And on that note, annexing the North into the Republic is also "an important feature" in the foundation of Irish national policy, but no one brands every Irish person with that particular Main Aim either. You're bringing a kind of thinking to this debate that is akin to that of one who still actively holds grudges against English people over Northern Ireland.

The discussion revolves around the place of Irish in society.
    To understand the place of Irish in society, we had to distinguish between the artificial and the organic. The true picture is hugely distorted by government interventions, be they laws, regulations or sponsorships via a multiude of quangos.

We must also discuss the various voluntary bodies, their agendas and their financial interests.

Then, maybe we can identify why ordinary people, whose native language is English and whose ancestors for many generations also spoke English, should want to redefine themselves as Irish speakers and why the rest of us should pay for this indulgence.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭hatz7

I think the Irish language should be optional in schools. that the government has no role to play in trying to resuscitate it and that if Irish is to take root all over the country it will have to do so because people actively seek to learn it, maybe through community groups, GAA or something organic anyway.

A secondary factor, but still relevant, is the fact that we all type the word Irish here as if its all the one, but in reality there are different dialects (is that the right term?) I have an aunt in Donegal and I can't understand her English half the time. I've heard her speaking Irish, and don't get a word of it.
    This accounts for maybe 15% of the reason why I think that the government and schools should stay out of Irish, because if people are looking for an overhaul of how Irish is taught through the present school system, its going to be the same interest groups that are there now(and look at the great job they do) that will be around the table deciding how to take Irish forward.So change will equal no change.

And on a more light hearted note, I will say that its really funny how there are so many makey uppy words in Irish, I watched some tennis on TG4 before and I'm fairly certain that the commentators made up the tennis vocab themselves. brilliant :)

I wouldn't be bothered personally if the language dies or flourishes.

I'd be interested in knowing though how many people think that the state should play an active role in promoting Irish and how many think that the state should stay out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

hatz7 wrote: »
    I think the Irish language should be optional in schools. that the government has no role to play in trying to resuscitate it and that if Irish is to take root all over the country it will have to do so because people actively seek to learn it, maybe through community groups, GAA or something organic anyway.

A secondary factor, but still relevant, is the fact that we all type the word Irish here as if its all the one, but in reality there are different dialects (is that the right term?) I have an aunt in Donegal and I can't understand her English half the time. I've heard her speaking Irish, and don't get a word of it.
    This accounts for maybe 15% of the reason why I think that the government and schools should stay out of Irish, because if people are looking for an overhaul of how Irish is taught through the present school system, its going to be the same interest groups that are there now(and look at the great job they do) that will be around the table deciding how to take Irish forward.So change will equal no change.

And on a more light hearted note, I will say that its really funny how there are so many makey uppy words in Irish, I watched some tennis on TG4 before and I'm fairly certain that the commentators made up the tennis vocab themselves. brilliant :)

I wouldn't be bothered personally if the language dies or flourishes.

I'd be interested in knowing though how many people think that the state should play an active role in promoting Irish and how many think that the state should stay out of it.

There's not a huge difference between the dialects. Generally there's some unique vocabulary, it's fairly equivalent to comparing "accents/dialects" of English. For example in context of Hiberno-English:

Belfast, North Cork (city) and Inner City Dublin are quite different from each other but generally there isn't a problem with speakers understanding each other. Of course if you then bring in an american they tend to have problems mainly due to speed of Hiberno-English especially when heavily accented.

By analogy often L2 (non-native) Irish speakers/learners have trouble initially understaning people from Gaeltacht due to speed of speech. I listen to about 3 hours of RnaG a day nowadays (streaming over internet) and have generally no issues understanding a Donegal speaker (older speakers are most troublesome) -- back when I did the Leaving everyone dreaded if a Donegal speaker came on the tape during the Aural.

I also think the traditional means of teaching was flawed in that tape recordings of native speakers were only used when it came near exam time. Surely part of teaching is to ensure the pupils can hear examples of proper pronunciation.

As for community driven, well this is situation with the Gaelscoilleanna. They are all community driven, mainly as teaching through medium of Irish became almost extinct outside the Gaeltacht during the 1970's When there was only 11 primary schools teaching through Irish. This has grown to 298. These schools have been created by parents grouping together, as a result many Gaelscoilleanna still in prefabs etc.

If anything the state hasn't recognised a new Gaelscoil since 2008 even though there is a built up demand. Going by current demand the number of pupils in Gaelscoileanna will more then double in the next 15years!

You got me! I thought your comments were actually your own genuine opinion but now I realise you have been having a wee joke at my expense. Well played.
    It is of course a stupid idea to try and reinstate Irish as the common tongue of Ireland, but it is the main aim of an organisation which claims to represent the Irish language. This, I believe is the reason for the fanatical defense of compulsory Irish.

-sigh- Stop attempting to claim I am part of any organisation that wants to do anything that you have described in the second part of this post. I want people to be able to speak the Irish language. You're in favour or killing it off and learning "a useful foreign language." Some things are more important than money, money, money. You will learn this when you grow up a little, boy.

Powerful argument here. Someone who doesn't care whether or not the language goes under or not, who and doesn't have a decent grasp of it, can't understand the tennis commentators on TG4 and thus assumes the vocab they have used is made up.

Thank God all worlds used by the hooligans who speak English are entirely of "English" origin themselves. Anyone fancy some whiskey? That said, you might want to have an auld goosey gander over to your local google internet search page and type in, "non english words in english."

I want people to be able to speak the Irish language.
    By forcing them to learn it at school? Why can't you understand how wrong that is?
    You're in favour or killing it off .
    That's an irrational and hysterical statement. You'd think that I suggested banning the language. If you think that reforming Irish language policy will kill it off, you are demonstrating no faith at all in the enthusiasm and dedication of the Irish language community.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

And on a more light hearted note, I will say that its really funny how there are so many makey uppy words in Irish,

Do you mean like the English words "Television" a makey uppy mix of Latin and Greek and "Megabyte" from Greek and a makey uppy spelling of "Bite" to avoid confusion with "Bit", or borrowed words like "bungalow" from a Hindustani word for a type of small house, or words like "Guitar" derived originally from Persian.
    Do you find the absolutly enormous number of "makey uppy" words in English (many many more than Irish) funny and if not, why? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I learnt for 14. I have an honours degree and a post grad but can hardly string "cupla focal" together. And I don't want to, I thought FG in power would make it optional but no, my kids are forced to learn a language which will never be of use to them at all. I feel so let down by the state I have no feelings of loyality to Ireland at all just see we as a nation were used and abused by our own. Now as a consequence our children are being forced to emmigrate.

Country is flat broke, how much does it cost to teach this redundant language every year which I'd say majority of children hate.

femur61 wrote: »
    I learnt for 14. I have an honours degree and a post grad but can hardly string "cupla focal" together. And I don't want to, I thought FG in power would make it optional but no, my kids are forced to learn a language which will never be of use to them at all. I feel so let down by the state I have no feelings of loyality to Ireland at all just see we as a nation were used and abused by our own. Now as a consequence our children are being forced to emmigrate.

Country is flat broke, how much does it cost to teach this redundant language every year which I'd say majority of children hate.

I appreciate your symptoms very much femur61.

However, I would argue against mixing up the real antagonists in this crisis. Even were we to except the most wildly exaggerated claims of the 'costs' associated with Irish they would be absolutely minuscule next to the cost of the bank bailout.

I appreciate your symptoms very much femur61.

However, I would argue against mixing up the real antagonists in this crisis. Even were we to except the most wildly exaggerated claims of the 'costs' associated with Irish they would be absolutely minuscule next to the cost of the bank bailout.

Well that and the vast bulk of it is Teachers pay. Even if Irish was scrapped as a subject there would be a fairly minimum saving. Why? Because the teachers wouldn't be taking a paycut, if anything they would probably want a payrise for teaching a replacement subject. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭hatz7

Powerful argument here. Someone who doesn't care whether or not the language goes under or not, who and doesn't have a decent grasp of it, can't understand the tennis commentators on TG4 and thus assumes the vocab they have used is made up.

Thank God all worlds used by the hooligans who speak English are entirely of "English" origin themselves. Anyone fancy some whiskey? That said, you might want to have an auld goosey gander over to your local google internet search page and type in, "non english words in english."

How do you know what my level of Irish is, the only thing I said was that I have difficulty with understanding Donegal Irish.

The point about the words was that it was the commentators themselves made the words up, they don't come in into usage organically like in english,that was only a small point, I'm fairly sure that the preceding line went more something like this..... On a lighter note

I love the way ye edited out that part ladies!! :D

lol

ye still haven't made any decent rebuttal to what I argued.
    Back to the drawing board. this time, try thinking before typing. Less emotion, try taking a more holistic approach to the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

-sigh- Stop attempting to claim I am part of any organisation that wants to do anything that you have described in the second part of this post. I want people to be able to speak the Irish language. You're in favour or killing it off and learning "a useful foreign language." Some things are more important than money, money, money. You will learn this when you grow up a little, boy.

This is the insecurity in the heart of the Irish language movement.

Deep down they believe that unless people are forced to learn the Irish language, speak the Irish language and have official documents published in the Irish language, they will lose interest and the language will die out.

The ideal scenario is that people would speak the Irish language at home in the formative years before school, learn a good bit of the language in the early years of primary school before European languages (as the closest family of languages) are introduced to share the time in fifth and sixth class. In this case, Irish is part of the furniture and is loved and accepted by all. By second level, Irish is only taught as an optional subject.

To get to that place, you need to remove the fear and the compulsion, to dilute the hatred that has arisen because of the compulsory nature and build an open friendly approach to the language. However, the childish fear of the unknown and terror of a big leap holds back the Irish language movement from adopting such a policy and the defensive mode of "what we have we hold" takes over and they cling to the repeatedly failed policy of compulsion. You can see it coming through time and again in this thread.

The point about the words was that it was the commentators themselves made the words up, they don't come in into usage organically like in english,that was only a small point,

Well tbh most words in English were coined by "commentators" and then got spread to wider population via influence. For example Shakespeare is reckoned to have coined about 1,700 words. Due to his influence the words spread into wider English use. The same is true of most words in English that are borrowings. The started out often as Domain specific (maths/science borrowing words from Latin/Greek/Arabic for example) but later spread into wider lexicon.

On a sports sense look at Rugby, words such as Scrum, Try, line-out, kick to touch, these are all words/phrases that were specifically adapted/formed for Rugby but then spread to wider usage.

Scrum believe it or not is derived from the word skirmish (scrum -> scrumage -> scrimage -> scrimish/skirmish)

Another example are words to do with Internet in English. By an large alot of these were made up on the fly by people developing the technology. They then spread into wider population via dissimulation of ideas etc.

The only languages that do not create new words are dead ones. Like with example of Scrum above a language will often create new terms out of pre-existing roots

As for Tennis you might find this interesting. Focal.ie has 111 entries for Terminology connected to "Racket Sports" you can see them here:

http://focal.ie/Abc.aspx?lang=1&extent=bydomain&domain=6472&collection=135

Godge wrote: »

The ideal scenario is that people would speak the Irish language at home in the formative years before school, learn a good bit of the language in the early years of primary school before European languages (as the closest family of languages) are introduced to share the time in fifth and sixth class. In this case, Irish is part of the furniture and is loved and accepted by all. By second level, Irish is only taught as an optional subject.

Godge,

I would agree with introducing a continental-language in 5/6 class. This is generally what they do in Netherlands (sometimes earlier). Of course part of the issue I think in Irish primary system is the day is too short. In general in the Netherlands the primary school day starts at 8:30 and ends at 3:30 (at equivalent to 5/6th), this of course gives them more options regarding timetabling, as there is a total of 7 and half hours extra school-time during the week.

There's also major issues in general with primary education in this country due to underfunding, lack of facilities/resources and overcrowding. Given the very wide standard of Irish that people leaving primary have there's definitely an issue with regards to general teaching standards in this country.

Personally I think that having our primary school teachers as "generalists" teaching all subjects doesn't get us best bang for buck. Perhaps in 4-6 class there should be separate teachers specifically for language teaching of a class (be it Irish, French, German, Mandarin etc.)

I'm not disagreeing at all here, I'm just interested to know what exactly you mean about the dialects? If you couldn't understand her half the time in English does that not indicate that there are different dialects in English too, even though we treat that as the one language too?

I didn't actually interpret this as in any way disparaging of Irish, but you might be interested to know that I remember shortly after TG4 secured the rights to Wimbledon the Pat Kenny show on Radio 1 interviewed one of the sports presenters and this very question came up. There had been no pre-existing terminology for tennis in Irish (naturally enough) so it was necessary to 'make up' some. This wasn't just done, however, by adding a fada to every other i in the English words but rather they borrowed a lot of pre-existing terms in Irish for moves in card games (which is covered by a vast vocabulary) and adapted them to tennis. This is where pointe na cinniúna (match point) comes from, for example, if memory serves me. It was very interesting altogether how they did it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

dubhthach wrote: »
    The only languages that do not create new words are dead ones.
    With that little 12 word sentence the question "Is Irish a dead language?" has been answered. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement