Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Irish a dead language?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    So if someone said to you "Ah, Iwasfrozen, I had a great time over in Dun na nGall, was lovely" You would stop talking to them? Why? This to me appears highly OTT, small and petty. It reeks of an irrational hatred for a language.

To be fair to IWasFrozen, if someone in real life actually spoke like that, they would usually be classed as a pretentious git, and suitably ignored.

Same as people who come back from a holiday to Barthelona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Our country is also known as Éire, I see no need to change that so as to cater to the linguistic fixations of a few people with a chip on their shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Our country is also known as Éire, I see no need to change that so as to cater to the linguistic fixations of a few people with a chip on their shoulder.

We have a small constitutional oddity: the proper name of the state is Éire in every language except English.

[Article 4 of the constitution: "The name of the State is [I]Éire[/I], or, in the English language, [I]Ireland[/I]."]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Who cares? That one of the things that is wrong with this country, we care too much what foreigners think.. Let them be confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Who cares? That one of the things that is wrong with this country, we care too much what foreigners think.. Let them be confused.

I care. On a personal level, when I travel outside the country I find it generally advantageous to let it be known that I am Irish. Our people are well-regarded in many places; in some other places, the advantage is that we might not have the baggage that people from certain English-speaking countries have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Nonsense. More people outside of Ireland use the term Éire more than we even do. Infact, just 2 seconds before I posted this my friend from New York just asked me on facebook "How's Eire?"

On a personal note, I rarely refer to it as Éire in English. But to suggest that people can't call it so, without affecting trade or investment is out of whack.

No one is ridiculing you for your choice not to use Irish placenames, or refere to Ireland as Éire, thats your choice and I am fine with that, so why are you hostile to people who do choose to use the Irish version of a placename?

And yes someone in california probibly wont have heard of the term Éire, They probably havent heard of athlone either, what will we call that?

• Advertisement

They probably havent heard of athlone either, what will we call that?

San Bernadino.

While I acknowledge the fact I dont think its a very good argument against people here chooseing to refer to Ireland as Éire, so what if they do, how dose that affect you, Why are you so hostile to it:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I do it to enlighten them :D p.s impressed by your correct spelling of the proper names of those countries. :)

Ah so thats what you were on about, I got the impression that you were suggesting that ordinary people refering to Ireland as Éire would affect the economy.

I think that what they said that the BBC do already refer to Ireland as Éire from time to time, not that they should.

So just to clarify you dont have a problem with ordinary people refering to Ireland as Éire if they want to?

Well I never suggested that we insist on calling Ireland, Éire.
    However I wouldent worry about confuseing people in america, some of them cant even point to America on a map:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I think you misunderstood me there...

rofl @ the hysteria.

I suppose España creates "create gratuitous confusion" for the Spanish government. Or Cymru creates confusion for the Welsh government.

Nobody is putting forward the claim to be known only as Éire, and indeed nobody I know uses it in the English language. The original argument was with a poster who claimed that they would walk away from someone who uttered an Irish word in a conversation with them. Let's try keep it in context.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

I actually recently had a discussion with someone, and they weren't the first person to argue this, that they found it extremely offensive when English people called Ireland Éire. Despite the constitution, stamps, coinage etc.

I think Irish would be more popular if we actually learned useful phrases instead of mindlessly conjugating verbs like idiots. such as..

Go raibh grainneóg a chead chac eile agat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I actually recently had a discussion with someone, and they weren't the first person to argue this, that they found it extremely offensive when English people called Ireland Éire. Despite the constitution

Which makes perfect sense given that when English people use the word "Eire" they use it to mean the part of Éire which is independent from their government. They do not see that Ireland is merely the English translation of Éire and, as such, Belfast, Ireland is the English for Béal Feirste, Éire. In short, they use "Eire" in a manner which supports their politics rather than which reflects the basic Éire=Ireland fact.

As for the Constitution: referring to Ireland as 'Éire' when speaking/writing English is, despite your claim to the contrary, unconstitutional. I think it was Dessie Ellis who was, many years ago, not extradited specifically because the Supreme (High?) Court of Ireland ruled that they did not recognise the name of the state as Éire because the document was written in English. This was definitely a ruling in some extradition case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Dionysus wrote: »
    Which makes perfect sense given that when English people use the word "Eire" they use it to mean the part of Éire which is independent from their government. They do not see that Ireland is merely the English translation of Éire and, as such, Belfast, Ireland is the English for Béal Feirste, Éire. In short, they use "Eire" in a manner which supports their politics rather than which reflects the basic Éire=Ireland fact.

As for the Constitution: referring to Ireland as 'Éire' when speaking/writing English is, despite your claim to the contrary, unconstitutional. I think it was Dessie Ellis who was, many years ago, not extradited specifically because the Supreme (High?) Court of Ireland ruled that they did not recognise the name of the state as Éire because the document was written in English. This was definitely a ruling in some extradition case.

I didn't claim that. I was saying article 4 states the name of the state as Eire or in the english language Ireland. It also says Eire on stamps and coinage. So i can understand English people getting stroppy if someone says its offensive when its called that on our coinage and stamps.

There are some Irish people who think the English are out to get them and anything they say is a dig. Ive never heard an English person refer to Eire in a political fashion

I actually recently had a discussion with someone, and they weren't the first person to argue this, that they found it extremely offensive when English people called Ireland Éire. Despite the constitution, stamps, coinage etc.

Some people really need to lighten up:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

I wasn't twisting any words. The context for the discussion was a poster getting upset with people who opted to use Irish words here and there in conversation. This somehow on your behalf turned into an argument between the use of Éire and it somehow affecting our trade agreements. Nobody anywhere was stipulating that we use Éire by default.

What do you want, me to provide you with a study on the percentage of the population that use Éire outside of Ireland? I'm sure that would make a marvelous basis for a thesis. I never hear the term Éire here in Ireland, except when speaking in Irish. However, I often here it used by Americans, and even the English. But to be honest - I've no idea why we're even debating such a minuscule issue. You missed the point completely.

I don't speak Spanish, and I've no hangups on whether people use Spain or Espana. In the same respect, I never made the case that everyone knows a country by it's indigenous name.

So allow me to summarise this whole fiasco of what's going on. Between people getting uppity because someone might use an Irish phrase in a sentence, and people who start harping on about trade agreements when even the mere mention of Éire is uttered - I'd say we're well and truly beyond having a reasonable discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

dlofnep wrote: »
    I wasn't twisting any words. The context for the discussion was a poster getting upset with people who opted to use Irish words here and there in conversation. This somehow on your behalf turned into an argument between the use of Éire and it somehow affecting our trade agreements. Nobody anywhere was stipulating that we use Éire by default.
    I never said I got upset. I claimed that gaelgeoirs who use irish place names when speaking english are pompous, self-important and politically motivated. I see no other reason why one would use the irish name when there is a perfectly good english name. Hyperbole doesn't futher any discussion.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I never said I got upset. I claimed that gaelgeoirs who use irish place names when speaking english are pompous, self-important and politically motivated. I see no other reason why one would use the irish name when there is a perfectly good english name. Hyperbole doesn't futher any discussion.

There you go again, What political motivation? Iv asked you before and im asking you again.

Why cant you accept that some people may have an attachment to an Irish placename as gaeilge and prefer to use it to its English version?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I lived in the United States for nine months and I never heard anyone refer to Ireland as Eire; heck, I even met a few people who hadn't heard of the term Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

There you go again, What political motivation? Iv asked you before and im asking you again.
    A person choosing to use the translated version of a place name is obviously politically motivated in favour of the irish language.
    Why cant you accept that some people may have an attachment to an Irish placename as gaeilge and prefer to use it to its English version?
    I can accept it. I have no problem accepting it. However these people are likely to be a gaelgeoir/nationalist/GAA lunatic etc. Someone that I most likely won't get on with as our political/recreational views are too different.

Now I've answered your question, perhaps you could answer mine. What attachment could a person have to an irish language placename?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement