Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Irish a dead language?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

eddyc wrote: »
    Are you saying what they fought for was that we can think whatever we want as long as we speak Irish?

He is saying that people treat the language disrespectfully, he has also said that he believes Irish should be compulsory in school, An opinion to which he is perfictally intitled. No one has said that people should be forced to speak Irish, Why are you being so pedantic over this point:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 codrodcm

of course its not dead..arent ppl speaking it and we have print media and tg4 rnag and radio na life...thousands going to the gaeltacht every year more and more ppl are taking Irish in 3 rd level education and there is a serious amount of primary gaelscoileanna and now naoinra for the under 4s.I am so fed up of ppl irish bashing and then the gaeilgeoiri have to come out and look like they are full of their own importance trying to defend it when that is not the case but we are merely having to stand up for ourselves and i still do not understand how ppl can not have pride in their language and do nothing but insult it day after day.Thousands are learning Irish in the nOrth ,america, australia and all across europe.
    So is irish a dead language...eh no it is not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭fearbainne

He is saying that people treat the language disrespectfully, he has also said that he believes Irish should be compulsory in school, An opinion to which he is perfictally intitled. No one has said that people should be forced to speak Irish, Why are you being so pedantic over this point:confused:

deise go deo, if i was allowed to press the thank you button i would!! :pac:

Just got allowed!! Musta hadta have 10 posts! :P

fearbainne wrote: »
    deise go deo, if i was allowed to press the thank you button i would!! :pac:

No problemo a chara:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

codrodcm wrote: »
    of course its not dead..arent ppl speaking it and we have print media and tg4 rnag and radio na life
    RNAG, TG4, the give-away mags and papers are all subsidised heavily by the English-speaking population. If they were not, they would have failed long ago due to the unwillingness of the Irish-language community to pay for them.
    codrodcm wrote: »
    .. i still do not understand how ppl can not have pride in their language and do nothing but insult it day after day.
    Now we're getting to the point. Look carefully at what you have said...'their language'. It reveals that you believe that Irish people who speak English are not speaking their own language.

Is the reason you do not understand the posiition of English-speaking Irish people is that you don't accept the position of the English language in our culture?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭fearbainne

RNAG, TG4, the give-away mags and papers are all subsidised heavily by the English-speaking population. If they were not, they would have failed long ago due to the unwillingness of the Irish-language community to pay for them.QUOTE]

Do you feel the government should not be subsidising these irish resources? and as for give away mags, i presume your talking about foinse.. there are other papers available in irish that are paid for m.sh gaelscéal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

This thread has been going goods guns for quiet a while.

How about we change it to discussion in the Irish language only and see if it keeps up the same pace?

catbear wrote: »
    This thread has been going goods guns for quiet a while.

How about we change it to discussion in the Irish language only and see if it keeps up the same pace?

Ceart go leor, Lean ort a chara.
    May end up being a bit onesided though, Most people who have a problem with Irish cant speak(write) it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Ceart go leor, Lean ort a chara.
    May end up being a bit onesided though, Most people who have a problem with Irish cant speak(write) it.
    Ah the ancient "He who is not for me, is against me" argument. You need to become more sophisticated in your thinking. I'd say very few English-speakers have a 'problem with Irish', but many might have a problem with the amount of public money spent on it.

The best thing that could happen to Irish is for the state to stop supporting it artifically and for it the flourish naturally among those who choose to speak it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 codrodcm

You should be more careful with the use of Gaeilge in your profile where u say u hail from Thír Chonaill.....tut tut ...Nior cheart go mbeadh an seimhiu curtha agat ar Thir......Tír Chonaill is where u are from tut tut

• Advertisement

Ah the ancient "He who is not for me, is against me" argument. You need to become more sophisticated in your thinking. I'd say very few English-speakers have a 'problem with Irish', but many might have a problem with the amount of public money spent on it.

The best thing that could happen to Irish is for the state to stop supporting it artifically and for it the flourish naturally among those who choose to speak it.

No I dident say most of those who cant speak it, dislike it.
    I said most of those who dislike it, cant speak it.

This leaves plenty of room for those who cant speak it, but do like it, or are indiferent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    However these people are likely to be a gaelgeoir/nationalist/GAA lunatic etc.

hehe. Even as anti-Irish trolling goes from garrison-game-loving undereducated marginalised soccer-jersey-wearing Dublin knackers, that's quite sublime. Nár lagaí Dia do lámh.

Are you seriously trying to claim that a 1799 "study" on the Irish population is reliable, never mind comprehensive? It was only in the latter half of the nineteenth century that the first "reliable" British statistics on Irish demography were produced, at least in the view of all professional historians of that century. What, therefore, is your source for the "reliability" of this supposedly comprehensive "study" in 1799?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

christ subtract that from any channel and its viewers would be drastically reduced.... unbelievable

aDeener wrote: »
    christ subtract that from any channel and its viewers would be drastically reduced.... unbelievable

Touché! Game, set and match to aDeener! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

fearbainne wrote: »
    Im not goin to debate this with ya all day cos im just givin my opinion, you obviously have some grudge with the irish language, maybe a bad experience of the gaeltacht, or a bad result in the leaving in irish, take it up with roinn na gaeltachta...
    That's right. Anyone who is against the time and money being spent on irish both in and out of school must obviously have had a bad result in the leaving cert, or kicked out of the gaeltacht. I honestly can't believe someone could write something so stupid...

Regardless you claim that irish nationalists fought for the freedom to choose ones language. Why then was I forced, against my will, to study irish for fourteen years? A law you are infavour of.

A little hypocritical, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Except BBC world news. Or any other news station.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Except BBC world news. Or any other news station.

they don't report sport or entertainment news? news to me

they don't report sport or entertainment news? news to me

Not to mention the satellites. It was hardly the Clapham Workers' Union which put them up there to receive all those entertaining images from around the world that the BBC shows....

(This "all roads lead to England" comedy could go on and on)

• Advertisement

Dionysus wrote: »
    Not to mention the satellites. It was hardly the Clapham Workers' Union which put them up there to receive all those entertaining images from around the world that the BBC shows....

(This "all roads lead to England" comedy could go on and on)

ah sure look it, some people would come out with just about anything

now, in fairness, you are hardly one to be huffing and puffing about waiting for claims to be backed up....

Your "major study" in 1799 does not have the necessary "major facts" to support it. No professional historian would treat it as anything like a comprehensive study of language at that time. But nice try at now bringing in the 1851 Census as if you had been talking about that all the time.:rolleyes:

Actually, you've got that wrong; given that you initiated this by making claims for the reliability of your 1799 "major study" it is up to you to get the academic support for that "reliability".

There will be no support forthcoming. At least admit it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I once watched two dogs conduct a pissing contest. The one with the greater amount of piss was the winner.

The only result that lasted any longer than the contest was a patch of discoloured grass that took several months to recover.

Carry on with the discussion.

You're avoiding the issue once again. You claimed that there was a "major study" into the Irish language in 1799 and that those figures are reliable. You did not mention how the figures were ascertained - did he call at every door in Ireland? - or indeed anything else. You merely claimed they were accurate. Once again, where is your academic support for the "reliability" of these ridiculously imprecise figures like "at least 800,000 of our countrymen"?

Even Irish census results, carried out by the forces of the British Empire, are not taken seriously by professional historians until 1851 but you are claiming here to us all that one man's "study" on all of Ireland in 1799 is reliable. Really. Embarrassing.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement