Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car insurance company won't transfer insurance to another car

Options
  • 03-07-2010 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

My car is off the road for ten days. That's how long it will take for a new locknut key to be sent to me from Peugeot france. My neighbour has given me his old Fiat. However, when i rang my insurance broker they told me they wouldnt do a temporary insurance transfer to a non garage owned car. I would have to transfer the insurance permenantly. Should i just cancel my policy with them and take out insurance with another company?

Comments

Do you have third party driving of other cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I do. But there is no insurance of the fiat to begin with. Its my understanding that the third party insurance on my policy only covers me to drive cars that are already insured and they don't belong to me.

Obviously you will have to check your own insurance but the only rule on mine is that the car is not registered to me or my spouse/partner. I'm with Zurich.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Obviously you will have to check your own insurance but the only rule on mine is that the car is not registered to me or my spouse/partner. I'm with Zurich.

Would that mean you can take any car out on the road even if it doesn't have an insurance disc in the window?

On my insurance yeh it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Would that mean you can take any car out on the road even if it doesn't have an insurance disc in the window?

What would the insurance of the car owner be needed for?
    It doesn't cover you to drive this car.
    So while you are driving, you need to use your insurance which provides you with third party cover for driving other cars.

Make sure that in terms in conditions of your policy, it's not stated that car has to be insured by the owner.
    I heard someone writing on this forum had such a case with Quinn direct.
    I went through good few policy detaild (Aviva, Allianz, 123, FBD, etc) and neither of them requires the car to be insured by the owner.

Just remember it's only third party cover, so it doesn't include theft, fire, or damage to your own car.

Also it gives you cover only while you are driving the car.

So there is a case (pretty unusual, but can happen).
    Lets say, you drive a car to the town, park it on the street and go.
    Then for some reason breaks stop working, and car just runs down by itself and hit's someone.
    There's no insurance to cover such case, so all damage to property or even worse a personal claims, will have to be paid by car owner or you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 aussiegirl1

CiniO wrote: »
    What would the insurance of the car owner be needed for?
    It doesn't cover you to drive this car.
    So while you are driving, you need to use your insurance which provides you with third party cover for driving other cars.

Make sure that in terms in conditions of your policy, it's not stated that car has to be insured by the owner.
    I heard someone writing on this forum had such a case with Quinn direct.
    I went through good few policy detaild (Aviva, Allianz, 123, FBD, etc) and neither of them requires the car to be insured by the owner.

Just remember it's only third party cover, so it doesn't include theft, fire, or damage to your own car.

Also it gives you cover only while you are driving the car.

So there is a case (pretty unusual, but can happen).
    Lets say, you drive a car to the town, park it on the street and go.
    Then for some reason breaks stop working, and car just runs down by itself and hit's someone.
    There's no insurance to cover such case, so all damage to property or even worse a personal claims, will have to be paid by car owner or you.

Cinio - sorry but you really need to check your facts here. For any insurance contact to exist the insured (person taking out the insurance) must have an insurable interest ie they must suffer a financial loss should any thing happen to the car in this scenario. Therefore danger mouse does not have an insurable interest in the vehicle they wish to insurer and cannot take out insurance on it. However most insurance companies will do a temporary transfer of up to 14 days on a like for like vehicle for around €25.00. i'm guessing danger mouse that the vehicle either isn't like for like or that you want it for more than 14 days and that is why your broker won't transfer it.
    Your other option is to by pass your broker and contact your insurance company direct - details will be on your cert and disc and see if they will be able to help you out.

and Cinio for the record 123 is a broker not an insurance company althought they do have their own specific policy wording for household policies with travellers insurance.

I don't speak insurance so not entirely sure what you are trying to say aussiegirl. What I do know for FACT though, is that my insurance covers third party driving of other cars which are not registered to me or my spouse even if that other car is uninsured.

sorry for the late reply.
    Your driving of other cars extension will only cover you for damage you cause to anyone else or their property it will not cover damage to the vehicle you are driving. Presumably you want to cover the fiat you will be driving and that is the reason you want to do the temporary sub on to it.
    Call you insurance company direct, not the broker and explain the situation and if they decline to process the temp sub ask them for a reason probably too many days or not like for like vehicle (ie higher engine size than your own vehicle and/or greater value) then at least you will know why they are declining to process the temporary change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

I have 3rd party extension on my insurance also..

It means i can drive anyones car as long as its not registered to me or my employer.

Again this is only 3rd party on the other car, if it gets stolen, damaged etc it all comes out of my own pocket.

The other car DOES NOT have to be insured on my policy.

• Advertisement

sorry for the late reply.
    Your driving of other cars extension will only cover you for damage you cause to anyone else or their property it will not cover damage to the vehicle you are driving.

Yes - third party. I think the OP knew what third party meant.

cronin_j wrote: »
    I have 3rd party extension on my insurance also..

It means i can drive anyones car as long as its not registered to me or my employer.

Again this is only 3rd party on the other car, if it gets stolen, damaged etc it all comes out of my own pocket.

The other car DOES NOT have to be insured on my policy.

in the industry and also in your policy wording it is referred to as the 'driving of other cars' extension and the cover is restricted to third party only- it is not called the third party extension.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... Should i just cancel my policy with them and take out insurance with another company?
    Check the wording on your policy and insurance certificate (note: you have to read both).

Without reference to your insurers and without effecting a temporary insurance transfer, you should, as others have stated above, have the 3rd-party cover needed to legally drive your neighbour's car on the road and meet the requirements of the Road Traffic Act 1961.

Your policy should say something like [will vary from one insurer / policy to another] :

"Driving other Cars:

If your certificate of motor insurance allows it, we will insure you for your liability to others while you are driving a vehicle you do not own and which you have not hired under a rental, hire-purchase or leasing agreement. You must have the owner's permission to drive the car. We will not insure you if you no longer have your own car and we will not insure loss or damage to your person or the vehicle you are driving."

HTH

Advertisement