Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tour on TnaG

• 03-07-2010 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭

Anyone know who the presenters are?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Commentary by Páidí Ó Lionáird and Pádraic Ó Cuinn. Not know much about their history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

...pity the commentary isn't available in english.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

i'd understand it better if they spoke french! and i don't know much of that either. anyone know where on might be able to watch eurosport online?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

i'd understand it better if they spoke french! and i don't know much of that either. anyone know where on might be able to watch eurosport online?

Not eurosport but..http://www.iraqgoals.net/

Lads go to steephill.tv and you can get the Eurosport audio link and play it over any feed. They also list all the links to eurosport english feeds

You'll also be surprised how much Irish you actually learnt in 12+ years in school. By the end of the month you will be fluent in Cycling-Gaelic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

wrote:
    By the end of the month you will be fluent in Cycling-Gaelic

Ta fhios am.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

'Evans i trobloid' is a familiar one over the years.

Though its hard to follow I know when they're not talking about the race. The main guy reads too many messages and misses the action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Anyone know who the presenters are?

ab solute-toolz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

Will TnaG be doing a catch up service where we can watch replays of the stages by any chance?

If not does anyone know where you can watch them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Yes, every evening - english language highlights show with phill liggott

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Jerry A

I watch the Tour live every year on TG4... I think the coverage is great, longer air time, less add breaks, Im glad that TG4 are continuing to show it...

English Commentry on the online feed now as the TV coverage is the Tennis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

They're showing that hostory of the Tour which Sean Kelly presented

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

The boys are grand but their knowledge wouldnt be the best. Not a patch on Eurosport and of course the great James Richardson back in the studio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I enjoy TG4's coverage and I think they do an excellent job on very limited resources.

Ar an drochuair, is annamh a bhíonn an deis agam é a fheiceáil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

wayne0308 wrote: »
    Will TnaG be doing a catch up service where we can watch replays of the stages by any chance?

If not does anyone know where you can watch them?

http://www.tg4.tv/main.aspx?level=LeTour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Re that ^ they do tour highlights with Phil Ligget and PS at night of the days stage about 23:00 or so.

me@ucd wrote: »
    Re that ^ they do tour highlights with Phil Ligget and PS at night of the days stage about 23:00 or so.

This can be anytime from 11.30 on. Was 12.40 one night this week.I'll be wrecked after the Tour:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Michelin

It is a shame that the only coverage on irish tv is spoken through a language that has no relevance any more and is not understood by the majoriity of the population.

Michelin wrote: »
    It is a shame that the only coverage on irish tv is spoken through a language that has no relevance any more and is not understood by the majoriity of the population.

It a sport does it matter what language it is covered in? TG4 is there to provide programming to an Irish audience. If it didn't exist you can be guaranteed that no other Irish channel would cover the event. I some how don't think TG4 had to fight to get the Tour. It also provides highlight in English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Michelin

yeah its great the highlights are in english. and ur right it prob wouldnt be covered in english by anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 DCU lad

toolz?!...
    Padraig ó cíunn was an international cyclist in the 90's, competed at a high level in france and further afield, is an international stage race winner and has rode two world championships. He Also owns that velotec.ie site and is the M.D. of crowd that run cycle training nationally for National and Secondary Schools. aside from kelly and roche on eurosport most of the rest of them havnt a clue.

Pfff... Shame you feel the need to slate the onlty FTA irish channel, to actually cover the tour. Its job is to provide a broadcasting service in through medium of irish, spose its relevant to everyone else who watch it...
    As George hook says, "sky care" so you can pay to get eurosport or stick up an astra satellite or just watch a stream off the net if its that bad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

DCU lad wrote: »
    toolz?!...
    Padraig ó cíunn was an international cyclist in the 90's, competed at a high level in france and further afield, is an international stage race winner and has rode two world championships. He Also owns that velotec.ie site and is the M.D. of crowd that run cycle training nationally for National and Secondary Schools. aside from kelly and roche on eurosport most of the rest of them havnt a clue.

Magnus Backstedt and Rob Hayles have no clue?

As for Harmon, while he's not an ex pro -he pretty much commentates on cycling full time, and does a great job of explaining things for new viewers

As for Harmon, while he's not an ex pro -he pretty much commentates on cycling full time, and does a great job of explaining things for new viewers

Exactly the Eurosport boys are excellent. Cant say the same for the TG4 boys who are only ok with their knowledge and are very boring. Hard to get them excited.

ITV4 well, no need to say much about them, we know what they are like

well backstedt odv does too and so does hayles, whos's fairly good too but he's just a trackie ;)
    that baldy fella and harmon are annoyinhg tho,
    And that baly fella def doesnt have a clue

well backstedt odv does too and so does hayles, whos's fairly good too but he's just a trackie ;)
    that baldy fella and harmon are annoyinhg tho,
    And that baly fella def doesnt have a clue

the 2008 British Road Race champion is just a trackie? Interesting viewpoint.

Carlton Kirby might be annoying, but he's the typical studio analyst -you don't expect the entire commentary team to be ex riders do you?

Also, I'd appreciate if you could educate me a bit more on Padraig ó Cíunn (and I'm not being sarcastic) -have you a link with his Palmares anywhere? I haven't been able to find any reference on the mighty google, but that's probably just me... who'd he ride for, and what stage races did he win?

the 2008 British Road Race champion is just a trackie? Interesting viewpoint.

Carlton Kirby might be annoying, but he's the typical studio analyst -you don't expect the entire commentary team to be ex riders do you?

Also, I'd appreciate if you could educate me a bit more on Padraig ó Cíunn (and I'm not being sarcastic) -have you a link with his Palmares anywhere? I haven't been able to find any reference on the mighty google, but that's probably just me... who'd he ride for, and what stage races did he win?

padraig quinn google him
    acbb i think cant remember... top rider back in the day

Just someone who knew what they were on about would do i think

Also, technically speaking Harmon is an ex MTB racer (he had a short lived career, but did compete), so the only person who "has no clue" is Carlton Kirby.

Either way, I don't think you could say that TG4 have a more experienced commentary team, regardless of the language they do it in

padraig quinn google him
    acbb i think cant remember... top rider back in the day

Just someone who knew what they were on about would do i think

Nothing is showing up that shows his race wins... seems strange for a top class rider

• Advertisement

Also, technically speaking Harmon is an ex MTB racer (he had a short lived career, but did compete), so the only person who "has no clue" is Carlton Kirby.

Either way, I don't think you could say that TG4 have a more experienced commentary team, regardless of the language they do it in

your other lad paidi on tg4 isnt the may west but he's way less annoying than harmon, too much **** talking about competitions on tg4 is their main downfall imo

Nothing is showing up that shows his race wins... seems strange for a top class rider

one of the first pages i found, not holed looking properly to prove a point

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:qXHZGKHuAlMJ:members.tripod.com/~Vince_Fontaine/pru-3.html+padraig+quinn+cyclist&cd=15&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

Cheers for that, my google sauce must be low... pity he DNF'd the next stage :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Jerry A

Cheers for that, my google sauce must be low... pity he DNF'd the next stage :)

I know him well, Padraic Quinn was an INT cyclist for seven years, won a stage in the Int tour of New Caledonia, rode two Prutours, which were at the time only 4th to the TDF in status, did not finish one due to a broken collar bone, finished top 40 in the world championships in 96, the only irish rider to finish.
    He was a good climber, and he competed well in races in Spain and france, won GP Epernay ahead of John Gadret who is on the TDF with AG2R, so who else would you get to do the job "as Gaeilge" on TG4.
    I await your suggestions, remember they have to be able to speak irish!

Jerry A wrote: »
    I know him well, Padraic Quinn was an INT cyclist for seven years, won a stage in the Int tour of New Caledonia, rode two Prutours, which were at the time only 4th to the TDF in status, did not finish one due to a broken collar bone, finished top 40 in the world championships in 96, the only irish rider to finish.
    He was a good climber, and he competed well in races in Spain and france, won GP Epernay ahead of John Gadret who is on the TDF with AG2R, so who else would you get to do the job "as Gaeilge" on TG4.

Plenty of sports commentators never played the sport they commentate on. Give it a few years and the Gealteacht will be representing Ireland at the tour. Then they have several cyclist that might takeover. :)

Jerry A wrote: »

I wasn't trying to knock the guy, and I don't have any problem with the TG4 coverage of the tour -I was genuinely curious as to his background is all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Is TnaG coverage perfect? No but bloody hell lads it`s better than paying a big wedge of cash to SKY for one decent channel (eurosport). I`ve enjoyed their coverage for last 3 years and hope they continue in the future. I think you underestimate there technical and race tactics knowledge. Lost in translation maybe!???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

The reason it is shown on TG4 is that it is quite cheap for them to get the irish language rights to show this, would not be so cost effective for them to try and screen it in English.

also it is the irish speaking channel what language do you expect them to use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

I have to say fair play for TnaG showing the tour, they are the only free to air channel in Ireland showing and they the show a highlights every night, granted late but they still show them, they also have the highlights on their website so you can watch them anytime so I have to say my hat is off to them. In relation to the commentators considering it has to be in Irish there are probably not many people who would be able to commentate on the Tour and the lads themselves as they are giving up their time and one of them has ridden at a relatively high level so does have a good idea what he is talking about.

It's just a shame so few people including myself are not fluent in Irish and therefore not able to enjoy the commentary.

But well done to both TnaG and the guys on teh commentary team.

The reason it is shown on TG4 is that it is quite cheap for them to get the irish language rights to show this, would not be so cost effective for them to try and screen it in English.

also it is the irish speaking channel what language do you expect them to use?

TG4's rights to any sports will cost the same as it will for RTÉ, TV3 and Setanta. Since none of the other broadcasters are interested in either cycling or tennis TG4 have been able to negotiate these sporting rights at a relatively cheap level. It also fits with their other sporting content and allows them to promote themselves to a national audience rather than just an Irish speaking one, after all TG4 is also their to promote the Irish Language. If anything TG4 are using their money much more creatively than either RTÉ or TV3.

TheDocMan wrote: »
    Is TnaG coverage perfect? No but bloody hell lads it`s better than paying a big wedge of cash to SKY for one decent channel (eurosport). I`ve enjoyed their coverage for last 3 years and hope they continue in the future. I think you underestimate there technical and race tactics knowledge. Lost in translation maybe!???

But it's not a huge amount better than paying Eurosport 5 quid directly for a month's worth of the Eurosport Player so you can watch their coverage online :)

• Advertisement

But it's not a huge amount better than paying Eurosport 5 quid directly for a month's worth of the Eurosport Player so you can watch their coverage online :)

Highlight in English for Free here:-

http://www.tg4.tv/main.aspx?level=LeTour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Gléas! ;)

TG4 isnt exactly free to air as you have to pay for your overpriced tv license and our taxes go to them as well. So we are entitled to a good service really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sealgaire

AFAIK TG4 don't get any money from the tv licence anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

NickDrake wrote: »
    TG4 isnt exactly free to air as you have to pay for your overpriced tv license and our taxes go to them as well. So we are entitled to a good service really

And it is a good service, in Irish. If you want to see it in English get onto RTE or TV3 if there is enough demand they will show it!
    TnaG have shown a lot of good sports over the years that other station have other looked so well done to them i say!

sealgaire wrote: »
    AFAIK TG4 don't get any money from the tv licence anymore

TG4 is an FTA channel regardless of the money it receives from the exchequer. Indirectly TG4 gets money from the licence via RTÉ's Nuacht service which runs on TG4 and via the BAI's Sound and Vision Fund neither of which are given towards sports content. (All FTA channels have access to the Licence fee through the Sound and Vision Fund).

As most TV channels run advertising indirectly we pay for TV every time we buy any product.

Advertisement