Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill Girls weekend?

Options
  • 03-07-2010 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

Im trying to organise a girls weekend some single some not, a few ppl have suggested achill island, I have not been there since I was a kid. We will prob go self catering, where abouts should we go for a bit of craic?

Anyone suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

The action will be in Keel. There are a number of self=catering groups of houses at or near Keel. Achill Tourist Office would have the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Thanks nuac Illl give them a buzz

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Thanks nuac Illl give them a buzz

if your going to achill i suggest visiting lynotts pub, some good craic in that.

i am from achill so if you want anymore info let me know via pm.

a better suggestion for a weekend would be westport to be honest put thats depends on what your planning to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭w@ll3gurl

irishgeo wrote: »
    if your going to achill i suggest visiting lynotts pub, some good craic in that.

i am from achill so if you want anymore info let me know via pm.

a better suggestion for a weekend would be westport to be honest put thats depends on what your planning to do.

Irishgeo, would you say that a visit to Achill is do-able in one day? I am staying for just 2 days in Westport at the end of August hopefully, and hope to get to Achill. Am i kidding myself that i'd get to see the coastline and the deserted villages in one day?

thanks for your help, local knowledge from this forum much appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

The better option would be westport. Particularly for a weekend and especially if the weather is crap. Achill is nice but when the weather is not favourable, then it can be quite miserable for a group.

• Advertisement

w@ll3gurl wrote: »
    Irishgeo, would you say that a visit to Achill is do-able in one day? I am staying for just 2 days in Westport at the end of August hopefully, and hope to get to Achill. Am i kidding myself that i'd get to see the coastline and the deserted villages in one day?

thanks for your help, local knowledge from this forum much appreciated! :)

youll see it in a couple of hours if you have a car

achill is about 30 mins from westport and if you drive a route called the Atlantic drive you see most of it.

the deserted village is slightly off this route but its easy to find.

most people staying in westport day trip to achill.

youll see it in a couple of hours if you have a car

achill is about 30 mins from westport and if you drive a route called the Atlantic drive you see most of it.

the deserted village is slightly off this route but its easy to find.

most people staying in westport day trip to achill.

Brilliant, thanks irishgeo! Really looking forward to it - some of the photos i've seen online are amazing and i am ashamed to say i've never been to Mayo before so swore this is the year!

Brilliant, thanks irishgeo! Really looking forward to it - some of the photos i've seen online are amazing and i am ashamed to say i've never been to Mayo before so swore this is the year!

here is a map of achill

the deserted village is located in slievemore and its the black castle beside the name slievemore on the map

http://www.achilltourism.com/achillmap.html

here is a map of achill

the deserted village is located in slievemore and its the black castle beside the name slievemore on the map

http://www.achilltourism.com/achillmap.html

Thanks a mill for that, it's a great map. Is there much signposting on the island, although with that map and all the main sights i don't think you'd need it.

I should probably start a new thread for this but what is the best route to take to Westport from Dublin? I've heard the N5 is a bit awkward and someone told me a better way is to go via Athlone and through Castlerea, Castlebar etc. They said it's a bit longer but the road is better, mostly through being on motorway for so long now to Athlone and all?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The easiest route is to follow the N4/N5. The only real hassle there is getting through Longford.

It's somewhat shorter to go via Athlone, but that means going Athlone - Roscommon - Ballymoe - Williamstown - Cloonfad - Claremorris - Castlebar. Going through Castlerea pretty much defeats the purpose of taking a shortcut.

That route is somewhat shorter, but also has more scope for getting lost, and a lot of "R" roads that are narrower and windier than anything the N5 will throw at you.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill for that, it's a great map. Is there much signposting on the island, although with that map and all the main sights i don't think you'd need it.
    just ask a local of your lost, we are quite nice down there. anything else you wish to take in and unsure of where it is let me know ill point it to you. i suggest stopping here for some lunch. lovely spot from what i have heard. have managed to get to it myself yet.

The Cottage Coffee Shop
    Dugort, Achill Island, Co. Mayo

if you follow the road along from the deserted village , you find this place.
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    The easiest route is to follow the N4/N5. The only real hassle there is getting through Longford.

It's somewhat shorter to go via Athlone, but that means going Athlone - Roscommon - Ballymoe - Williamstown - Cloonfad - Claremorris - Castlebar. Going through Castlerea pretty much defeats the purpose of taking a shortcut.

That route is somewhat shorter, but also has more scope for getting lost, and a lot of "R" roads that are narrower and windier than anything the N5 will throw at you.

i have to agree with oscarbravo the longford way is a better road and its much easier drive than the athlone way.

just ask a local of your lost, we are quite nice down there. anything else you wish to take in and unsure of where it is let me know ill point it to you. i suggest stopping here for some lunch. lovely spot from what i have heard. have managed to get to it myself yet.

The Cottage Coffee Shop
    Dugort, Achill Island, Co. Mayo

if you follow the road along from the deserted village , you find this place.

i have to agree with oscarbravo the longford way is a better road and its much easier drive than the athlone way.

Thanks so much to you both! :) Longford way it is so! Oh I can't wait!! That coffee shop sounds great. I have my map printed off and all :)

Thanks so much to you both! :) Longford way it is so! Oh I can't wait!! That coffee shop sounds great. I have my map printed off and all :)

hope you enjoy and the weather is good.i look forward to hearing your thoughts on the place.

hope you enjoy and the weather is good.i look forward to hearing your thoughts on the place.

Hi All, i never got around to coming back to post my thoughts on Mayo!
    Had an absolutely fantastic few days :D I really loved it! (I'd never been to Mayo before) we stayed in Westport, absolutely brilliant and lovely town, fantastic food! (We went into Wyatts, the JJ brasserie and some pub food in other places)

Achill was just beautiful! We did the atlantic drive, Keel beach, the deserted village, and stopped on the top of this fantastic cliff with a view out to the Atlantic, i know there are lots but this was particularly spectacular. Walked a lot!! Had a cup of tea in the surf shop outside Keel.

Will definitely be back! I think its one of my favourite places I've been in Ireland, far nicer than Galway IMHO, sorry Galway.
    Even the drive down is beautiful, we found the Longford way (as i call it) very handy and nice to drive, good road and scenery, so thanks again guys for that.

Up Mayo!!! :D

glad you enjoyed it.

Advertisement