Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playstation 1 Must Have's

• 03-07-2010 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Ok lads, Im going on a mission to procure some much needed games, starting with PS1. I have next to none of the classics, or the "must have's". Can you throw me so help here as to what I should be looking for - these are the must have's, not just good games - Ill get to them later :D

So far in the list is;

Resident Evil (any/all of the saga from PS1)
    Silent Hill (any/all etc)
    Wipeout (sequels?)
    Destruction Derby (sequels?)

There are literally hundreds more no doubt, and thats why this thread is here :)

So throw a few out there please!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Hogs of War, great multiplayer game.
    Also I couldn't agree more about Destruction Derby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Bushido Blade anyway

But i'll look through my games and make a list

too many to name off the top of my head

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Metal Gear Solid 1
    Twisted Metal
    Final Fantasy VII
    Wipeout 2097

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Army Men : Lock n Load

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Came up in one of the other threads the other day, Silent Bomber is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Appreciate the suggestions lads, keep 'em rolling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Wild 9 is fun, though don't know if it's considered a classic or anything, and i second Bushido Blade, haven't played that in a good while now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭sandleman1979

My personal favourties have to include
    Gran Turismo 2
    Tomb Raider 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭justbrian

Parasite eve 2, second to none the best survival horror on ps1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

driver 1 and 2, fantastic in their time but they havent aged well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Crash Bandicoot
    Destruction Derby 2
    Tomb Raider
    Gran Turismo
    Final Fantasy VII + VIII + IX :P
    Metal Gear Solid

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

OK where to start:

Um Jammer Lammy
    Parrappa the Rapper
    Wipeout 2097 and Wipeout 3
    Tobal 1 and 2
    Tombi 1 and 2
    Ape Escape
    Silhouette Mirage
    Klonoa
    Tail Concerto
    Resident Evil (all of them)
    Final Fantasy (all of them and especially FF Tactics)
    Metal Gear Solid
    Future Cop LAPD
    Skullmonkeys
    The Megaman X games
    Megaman Legends 1 and 2
    Rapid Reload/Gunners Heaven
    Castlevania Symphony of the Night and Chronicles
    Silent Bomber
    Strider 2
    Einhander
    G-Darius
    R-type Delta
    Gradius Gaiden
    Harmful Park
    The Parodius games
    Raystorm
    Zanac X Zanac
    Suikoden 1 and 2
    Vagrant Story
    Front mission 3
    Grandia
    Chrono Cross
    Dragon Warrior VII
    Breath of Fire 3 and 4
    Valkyrie Profile
    Persona 2 (Persona 1 is best on the PSP and get the second part of Persona 2 with a translation patch)
    Alundra
    Team Buddies
    Tactics Ogre
    Devil Dice
    No one can stop Mr. Domino
    Vib Ribbon
    Dino Crisis 1 and 2
    Colony Wars series
    Rayman 2
    Spider-man
    Rollcage 1 and 2
    The Divide
    Bushido Blade
    Incredible Crisis
    Soul Blade
    Point Blank
    Vandal Hearts 1 and 2
    Alien Resurrection
    Silent Hill
    Parasite Eve (PE2 is a bit crap)
    Lunar 1 and 2
    The Oddworld games

Might have forgotten some but that should keep you lit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Echo some earlier mentions, FF & MGS

Vagrant Story is my favourite PS1 Game. Great music, great story. I loved the gameplay as well, and it's even better in the 2nd play through

Tekken 2, I've lost interest in Tekken since, loved this one.

Cheers Lads, and Retr0...lit? Im on fire :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I don't think anybody has mentioned:

V-Rally
    Jade Cocoon
    ISS Pro Evolution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Ape Escape is where it's at!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ape Escape is where it's at!

Such an entertaining game :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭justbrian

But ape escape 2 sucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The Parodius games
    Retr0, you hero. I had completely forgotten about the Parodius games. I normally don't care much for that genre of game, but Parodius is a gem.

Love me some shoot'em ups and the PS1 really has a lot of great ones. The Parodius games really are fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Too lazy to read back through..so...

VIB RIBBON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<--- see my Avatar.

Also The Raiden Project. As Raiden 2 is still unplayable through emulation. And it is quite possibly one of the greatest shooters of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭whackball

I loved the original ridge racer on PS1 as pulling of the drift around the corner became fairly easy on the PS1 joypad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 is the best in the series and one of the best games in general on the PS1.

Both X-Com games. Bit of a chunky interface, but still absolute classics.

The first Gran Turismo is still the best in the series for me.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Too lazy to read back through..so...

VIB RIBBON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<--- see my Avatar.

Also The Raiden Project. As Raiden 2 is still unplayable through emulation. And it is quite possibly one of the greatest shooters of all time.

AAHH I see! I figured you were mad into astrology or something :P:pac:

He's not gay :P

He's not gay :P

Well I know that, but to a stranger, reading some recent tags he's been given might make 'em wonder :D

For the record, I've seen o1s1ns' gf folks so cancel red alert :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

G-Police

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Legacy of Kain. It's zelda with fangs ,and completely different from its sequals (tomb raider with fangs) but it's worth it for the story and the voice acting.

Kings field (think this was jap only), a 3d rpg game made by masochists (look the first save point that I could find was 30 minutes in , and hidden behind a false wall.Every creatre is lethal , Snails can kill you ...SNAILS!!).For all that its suprisingly good.
    see also
    The Tekkens, Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge racer,soul blade,castlevania SOTN and skullmonkeys.

Would love to give the Kings Field games a go. I heard they are the spiritual predesecors to Demon's Souls and that game is far and away my game of this generation.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Well I know that, but to a stranger, reading some recent tags he's been given might make 'em wonder :D

For the record, I've seen o1s1ns' gf folks so cancel red alert :pac:

Thank you for publically clearing that up. I could take the slut, temptress and queen, but astrology was one step too far.

I would imagine Atavan will now be devestated though.

There'll always be a space for you in my heart man. Always!!!!!

Creepyness aside, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain is brilliant. The voice acting in it really puts so many other ps1 games to shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Lloyd Christmas

I dont think we can forget Abe's Odyssey and Abe's Exodus.

Classics!!

Some great suggestions folks, from reading up, there were some real gems I wasn't aware of. I shall now begin the long put off process, of acquiring some really badly needed games for my retro console collection :)

These should make your credit card weep and your bank manager happy. Unfortunately most of them are pretty damn essential:

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sony/ps1/2008/04/the-rarest-and-most-valuable-playstation-ps1-games.html

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Would love to give the Kings Field games a go. I heard they are the spiritual predesecors to Demon's Souls and that game is far and away my game of this generation.
    I'll have a copy with me on Saturday , sure I'll bring the modded PS as well
    (provided I have the car that is , I'm loading myself up with games and controllers like a pack mule at this stage!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

MDK. The very interesting bomb was hilarious.

1106513-mdkcover_front_super.jpg

• Advertisement

It kind of sucked on the PS1 compared to the PC version.

These should make your credit card weep and your bank manager happy. Unfortunately most of them are pretty damn essential:

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sony/ps1/2008/04/the-rarest-and-most-valuable-playstation-ps1-games.html

Damn you Retr0 - once something is rare I automatically want it. Doesnt matter if its poo or not, rarity = want, for me anyway. Yes its a disease. Retr0 you might know, is the original pc version of Resident Evil (appaling graphics) worth anything. I seen a comment on Toms Hardware ages ago that somone sold one for $100 or something nuts like that. I tried to price it, but cant find it anywhere for sale.

It might well be especially a Power VR edition. There weren't many copies of it made so it's worth checking out.

It might well be especially a Power VR edition. There weren't many copies of it made so it's worth checking out.

I only have the disc, but cant find any refernce photos of the disc itself. Mine is this:

24pe0sh.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pic. OT but hardly worth its own thread...

Hmm... Collectors aren't fans of disc only games.

• Advertisement

Hmm... Collectors aren't fans of disc only games.

Ah :( So worth zilch? (presuming it was worth anything in the first place :D)

Not much I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Anthony Walsh

Syphon Filter - Don't think it has been mentioned yet and I can't believe it such a great game, kinda wish i coul play it now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Looking at that site of rare PS1 games gave me a buzz, I seem to have a few of them,
    Kurushi (that intelligent cube game is the jap edition), Klonoa, Herc's Adventure, CastlevaniaSOTN, Return Fire, Syndicate Wars, so plenty of rare titles there.

Only thing is, when will I ever really play them again?
    I mean, I'm likely to give one or two a 5 minute go some afternoon, but beyond that I'll never get stuck into Syndicate Wars or Klonoa.

Pity really.

So very true. You might as well give them to me so.

Really love having a mint copy of Suikoden 2 that I paid exactly nothing for :)

Not much I'd say.

Boo! There goes my retirement plans :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Heh, just saw Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories on the list, pity it's the premium one they mean. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So very true. You might as well give them to me so.

Just because I don't get to play them doesn't mean I love them any less!

My collection means, at any time, if the mood takes me, I can nip up and in 2 minuted be playing Super Metroid, or Duckhunt, or Streets of Rage ;)

Master of the Universe

Funnily enough I've just started playing Syndicate Wars again after getting that ps1 mouse.

It's proving a bit awkward to figure out. From what I can tell you use the pad in one hand and the mouse in the other. It's kind of cool. The D pad lets you move the screen around while you use the mouse to point. Kind of like a keyboard WASD/Mouse combination.

I want a PS mouse so I can sh1te myself playing Alien Resurrection! I can play it on the joypad but knowing there's a mouse option makes me wait.
    Also the game makes me crap myself when I play it in the dark, almost to Silent Hill 2 levels.
    Anyone else think Silent Hill 2 was the scariest game ever? Sorry to hijack the thread!
    I do have Silent Hill for the PS and have yet to turn it on, worth it having played the follow up?

• Advertisement
Advertisement