Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playstation 1 Must Have's

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I had a shot of it on a modded PS, so that would explain that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I played it on the PC so not sure. Its really is a very archaic 3D game from when polygons were in their infancy and doing height maps was considered a technical achievement (there's no height to the levels iirc). Whatever about Goldeneye and Die Hard Trilogy, fade to black is prehistoric level polygon gaming.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I did like the game when I played it back in 1994 I think but I haven't played it since but seen videos and it's not looking the best. I've heard a lot of people recently claiming it to be one of the worst games ever made despite the universal praise the game received for the PC release. I've assumed that it was because the game has aged pretty badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Anyone remember a survival horror called Galerians it was a mad bonkers game where you popped pills to boost or suppress your powers
    i never got to finish it as i ran out of pills, shame as i really liked it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I finally got around to digging out my PSOne games from the attic.
    I have about 30 but just made a list of all the good games I remember playing which clocks in at around 60(!).

With the PS1 I remember renting games all the time, they were so expensive to buy compared to prices today. Shops are selling some games for €10 nowadays, you'd never have gotten anything in any way even average for £10 during the mid-to-late 90s.

... now to search for cheap psone games...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

With the PS1 I remember renting games all the time, they were so expensive to buy compared to prices today. Shops are selling some games for €10 nowadays, you'd never have gotten anything in any way even average for £10 during the mid-to-late 90s.

It really is mental isn't it? I think it's something a lot of the younger game playing generation of today will never understand (And lucky for them!). Games were not a cheap thing. Especially when we were buying them on carts. You really had to make sure you were spending your money wisely and getting a good game. If not it was a massive waste of money. Money your young pockets would not be seeing again any soon.

I can remember when the only cheap way of getting ps1 games was to check out the Platinum range. But that was still 20 pounds a pop.

The first time I came across second hand games for sale was in what is now Gamestop over beside the Gamesworkshop in Dublin city centre (Just as you cross over the Ha'penny bridge). I think it was called Gamesworld then? Or Gameszone..something similar anyway.

I'd go in there whenever I had the money to pick up second hand ps1 games. Also remember they had a load of fully boxed second hand Snes games on display at the counter. Silly me didn't buy any at the time. Didnt even look at them twice, I was in ps1 heaven!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I remember having to rent PS1 games too. Pleas of "But it's only £55!" never seemed to work :(

o1s1n wrote: »
    Games were not a cheap thing. Especially when we were buying them on carts. You really had to make sure you were spending your money wisely and getting a good game. If not it was a massive waste of money. Money your young pockets would not be seeing again any soon.

What's more you used to have to research games reviews in magazines to make sure you were investing in the right game. No free internet news sites back then haha.

After making out a list of good games I'm starting to remember games I did have... and then the names of people I used to know who borrowed them... borrowing... another curse on us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Spyro FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Sorry if its been mentioned, pro evolution soccer on the ps1.

Possibly the best soccer game i`v ever played. They didnt even have the real names :D

Roberto Carlos would do his little shimming taking free kicks, lots of cool touches like that but the gameplay was fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

You mean Roberto Larcoss right?? :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

KULA WORLD!!

It's pn PSN - get it, NOW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Seems like a good place to ask

Did anyone ever make a list? Retr0 you said you had one didnt you?

Here's my download list. Now there's some stuff in there that is more interesting than good and xome absolute stinkers for so bad it's good like Overblood but most of these are must haves. I'll add at the ones I didn't need to 'backup':

Hellnight (Eu)
    Parappa
    Um Jammer Lammy
    Breath of Fire 4
    Dragon Warrior 7
    Tecmo’s Deception
    Kagero Deception 2
    Deception 3 Dark Delusion
    Persona 2 part 1 and 2 in English
    Gamera 2000
    Harmful Park
    Adventures of Little Ralph
    LSD
    Gunners Heaven
    Silent Bomber
    Gaia Seed
    Arc the Lad 1 and 2
    Alundra
    Front Mission 2 (for translation patch)
    Klonoa
    Strider 2
    Incredible Crisis
    The Divide
    No one can Stop Mr. Domino
    Rakugaki Showtime
    Dino Crisis 1 and 2
    Clock Tower
    Clock Tower 2
    Parasite Eve 1 and 2
    Echo Night
    Overblood 1 and 2
    Alien Resurrection
    Megaman Legends 1 and 2
    The misadventures of Tron Bonne
    Tail Concerto
    Megaman X 4 5 and 6
    Kings Field 1 (fan translation) 2 and 3
    Saga Frontier 1 and 2?
    Tales of Destiny 1 and 2
    Threads of fate
    Future Cop LAPD
    Jumping Flash 1 and 2
    Zanac X Zanac
    Devil Dice
    Tomba 1 and 2
    Heart of Darkness
    Hercs Adventure
    Bushido Blade
    Internal Section
    Monster Rancher 2 (sarah)
    Colony Wars
    Colony Wars Vengenance
    Valkyrie Profile
    Trap Gunner
    Colony Wars Red Sun
    Granstream Saga
    Skull monkeys
    Lost Vikings 2
    Shadow Madness???
    Vib ribbon
    Aconcagua

Final Fantasy 7-9 and Tactics
    Chrono Cross
    Legend of Mana
    Chrono Cross
    Breath of Fire 3
    Gradius Gaiden
    Raystorm
    Einhander
    Vagrant Story
    Ridge Racer Type-R
    Crash Bandicoot 2 and 3
    Metal Gear Solid
    Ape Escape
    Xenogears
    Valkyrie Profile
    Wipeout 2 and 3
    Grandia
    Suikoden 1 and especially 2
    Silent Hill
    Kula World
    Castlevania Chronicles
    Castlevania Symphony of the Night
    Front Mission 3
    Time Crisis
    R-type Delta
    Soul Blade
    Lunar 1 and 2
    G-Darius
    Gunners Heaven
    Vandal Hearts
    Both Oddworld games

Now that's probably far from complete.

yeah pretty solid list

Few too many JRPGS for my taste though :P Must make a list myself, I'll try limit to to around 180-200 and have a nice small brilliant ps1 collection

PS1 rocked for JRPGs :P I find it's the action games that didn't age as well.

I'm sure it did but getting jrpgs wouldnt be right for me because I would never play them, they are better off in a home where they get played. Might get one or two for collectors sake though :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Kula World is one of my "proud to own" games, brilliant stuff and I suck at it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I knew the name Kula World but couldn't for the life of me remember what it was so I just Youtube'd it,

Argh! Such a bloody frustrating game!!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn, monsters inc quote love it!

I acknowledge that you say it's an incomplete list but you left out 5 important games:

Tomb Raider
    Tomb Raider 2
    Tomb Raider 3
    Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
    Tomb Raider Chronicles
    :)

Tomb Raider games have aged really really badly. Tomb Raider 1 is decent but aged bad but the others not so good anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

A good party game for the PS1 is Bishi Bashi Special. Pure Japanese madness!

I second Bishi Bashi Special. Great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Concerned2

I hav'nt seen anyone mention it earlier in the thread but "Sheep, Dog, 'n' Wolf" was brilliant. Funniest game I've played on the PS1. Think it was released when the PS2 was taking over so maybe not many people have played it but its brilliant nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

One other person seems to have mentioned it, but Exhumed (aka Powerslave in the US) was my favourite game on PS1. It was better on the Sega Saturn, but I had to go and buy and PS1 so I could experience both versions. I also get the PC version but have never been able to get it up and running properly no matter what I use (dosbox, etc). Great Egyptian set FPS with lots of depth. Enemy AI is obviously of its time, but great atmosphere.

Do I hear a Deathtank theme song?
    Can't mention the Saturn Exhumed without scoring a bit of Death Tank!

Advertisement