Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O2 to raise call charges by up to 80%

• 03-07-2010 6:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

Mobile phone company O2 is set to raise call and text charges for its pre-paid and pay-monthly customers from Monday week.

The cost of initiating a call for pre-paid customers is to rise 80% from 5c to 9c.

Pay-monthly users who exceed their bundled minutes will see the costs of making a call rise 35%.

Text message charges outside text bundles will rise from 10c to 11c.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Done weeks ago, here and on the Apple Media devices forum

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055941863

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Technically O2 are breaching the termns & conditions of your original contract if you are on bill pay.

You can now walk away from them without being penalised.and keep the phone.

Major PR blunder for O2 and they can expect a massive exodus to other service providers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

And the downward spiral at o2 continues... :rolleyes:

It seems like half the people I know who are o2 customers (or used to be) have had a bad experience with them recently. Wether it's been delayed phone repairs, billing issues or random websites not working due to their Chinese-style internet censorship, things at o2 tend to go wrong. They used to be the best network, maybe not in terms of coverage, but customer service used to be quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Major PR blunder for O2 and they can expect a massive exodus to other service providers.
    Matt Bauer wrote: »
    And the downward spiral at o2 continues... :rolleyes:
    Is the company in trouble and this is some sort of knee-jerk reaction to raise revenue?

They're idiots if it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

They already are. I switched our company phones from o2 to Vodafone a year ago due to the way o2 treat their customers now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

Technically O2 are breaching the termns & conditions of your original contract if you are on bill pay.

You can now walk away from them without being penalised.and keep the phone.

Is this true? I'm not happy with this price increase, only heard about it yesterday. I've been thinking about moving back to vodafone for other reasons too, coverage in my area being the main complaint.

Has anyone else left their pay monthly contacts? and if so how did you go about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭paulhardman

wayne0308 wrote: »
    Is this true? I'm not happy with this price increase, only heard about it yesterday. I've been thinking about moving back to vodafone for other reasons too, coverage in my area being the main complaint.

Has anyone else left their pay monthly contacts? and if so how did you go about it?

Yes and yes. There is another thread in the Apple forum with many many people having done so, including me for both myself and the wife.

Call 1909 and tell them you want to be released from your contract under the european regulations. Don't take no for an answer, don't wait for a callback - ask to be transferred, if they are busy ask to stay on on hold, make sure you call in business hours (9am to 5pm), and if you are having no luck, redial or search for the 061 number on the O2 website ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

Yes and yes. There is another thread in the Apple forum with many many people having done so, including me for both myself and the wife.

Call 1909 and tell them you want to be released from your contract under the european regulations. Don't take no for an answer, don't wait for a callback - ask to be transferred, if they are busy ask to stay on on hold, make sure you call in business hours (9am to 5pm), and if you are having no luck, redial or search for the 061 number on the O2 website ;)

Excellent thanks for the info, I'm going to get the phone unlocked first as I want to keep this phone when I move (I can still do this right?) and then I'll be on the phone to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I did it!
    I'm a free man!!
    1st female said she will get someone to phone back and I said no I'll hang on and within 2 mins I got a deiff female who said why eetc, I said cos T&C have changed and its going up she said my package outside of my free mins is going up from 25c to 27c.....I asked about does this effect when my next upgrade due and she said no and I asked about iphone4 she said they have no dates etc...

Now that I'm out of contract if I am leaving I just give 30 days notice?

I am one of the lucky ones btw I pay my bills with a bill/cash and not DD, I've never liked DD and I know if I go to 3 or whomever I'd have to go DD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DaithiL

Im workin with Vodafone and Ive had five customers this week alone in to me this week that have left their contracts with O2 with no fuss once they stated the increase in charges. So def can be done & def a massive mess on O2's part!

• Advertisement

Got a text from 02 today confirming my contract release. 7 months into an 18 months contract and subsidised phone thrown in.

I will remain with them as the package suits me however if I loose my phone or see something better from another service provider ill be gone like a shot.

I can't figure out why 02 did this, more like corporate suicide. Terminate steady income from is current contracts and raise its prices during a recession FFS. The other service providers must be rubbing their hands, I don't have much time for any of the phone companies at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JONCOLOHAN

Simple answer! go to Tesco mobile ...I did ....I bought a phone from 02 last year which never worked...Sent it back 4 times and the lies I was told by them was unreal......I eventually sent the phone back to them and asked them to keep it...I bought a phone from Tesco and its soooo cheap,especially wtih double credit when you top up...Now with the 02 rip of /lying/thieving merchants upping their charges in the middle of a recession when most people are under pressure I am doubly happy...F"@k them ...Only one language these people react to and that is switch provider...

JONCOLOHAN wrote: »
    Simple answer! go to Tesco mobile ...I did ....I bought a phone from 02 last year which never worked...Sent it back 4 times and the lies I was told by them was unreal......I eventually sent the phone back to them and asked them to keep it...I bought a phone from Tesco and its soooo cheap,especially wtih double credit when you top up...Now with the 02 rip of /lying/thieving merchants upping their charges in the middle of a recession when most people are under pressure I am doubly happy...F"@k them ...Only one language these people react to and that is switch provider...

Service providers in Ireland run a cartel and no doubt others will all follow suit at some time soon. They may not make the same mistake as 02 by voiding contract customers.

Meteor are now hitting prepay with an 80% hike on connection charges.

The best thing people can do now is adhere strictly to their bundles, closely watch them and don't go a minute or text message outside of them.

This will hit them where it hurts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buttercupbee

Can anyone tell me what is the situation with these new increases, in my case: I top up by €20 per month and get to call and text all other 02 numbers for 'free' with this price plan.

Oh no wait - I get it: All OTHER networks I call (Voda, 3, ect) are what I will be charged these new hikes for.

Seems hardly worth sticking with 02 now if threats be true and customers abandon ship. I will have NO ONE to call if they all bugger off!
    Me not know anyone on other networks :(

Just thought I'd post this now anyway for any others who are looking like this :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

following the removal of the roaming add on earlier this year and now the increase of the cost per calls/txts outside your bundle (found out about the price increase on boards, thanks for the notification o2 :rolleyes:), seriously doubt i will be getting a new contract with them in the future.

from reading some of the replys here, can you actully cancel your contract and stay on your current bundle just as if your contract had simply expired.

to put it another way, i am aware that when your contract runs its normal term, ie 12/18 months you stay on your bundle without having to renew, but if i ask to be relesed before the term completes can i continue to use that bundle and phone or do i have to cancel my service altogether and go to prepay or another provider and port my number

could i also ask to be released my from my broadband contact as well as both were renewed at te same time.

irish-stew wrote: »
    following the removal of the roaming add on earlier this year and now the increase of the cost per calls/txts outside your bundle (found out about the price increase on boards, thanks for the notification o2 :rolleyes:), seriously doubt i will be getting a new contract with them in the future.

from reading some of the replys here, can you actully cancel your contract and stay on your current bundle just as if your contract had simply expired.

to put it another way, i am aware that when your contract runs its normal term, ie 12/18 months you stay on your bundle without having to renew, but if i ask to be relesed before the term completes can i continue to use that bundle and phone or do i have to cancel my service altogether and go to prepay or another provider and port my number

could i also ask to be released my from my broadband contact as well as both were renewed at te same time.
    I am still with them despite my move, 18 months on my contract was €50 for 350 min + 150 texts + free weekend & evenings any network calls

It was €55 for the same package on 12 months. It is still well worth holding on to them for that alone.

However I will still use webtexts, cabbage and not give them an inch. :)

Advertisement