Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why have cars gone all soft and squidgy?

• 03-07-2010 6:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

I was driving a 2010 Focus today and it felt so soft to drive compared to my Puma. The steering was a bit heavy (which I like a bit of weight in the steering) but at the same time it didn't feel like it was connected to the tyres in any way. The gear shift seems to slot itself into gears when you move it a little in the right direction (compared to my puma which feels like you are moving bits of machinery when you move the gear lever) and like the car itself didn't feel like it was on the road.

Like it was a nicer interior, the seat was softer, the AC was nice and cool but 5mins in and I was missing the feel I get from the engine, road, tyres, brakes and everything from my Puma. The Focus had absolutely no "feel" to it. The pedals felt all vague, the steering was soft all the time, there was wayy too much stuff around you in there.

And so I was wondering why can't car makers make simple cars like they used to before... Why have they gone all soft and "comfortable" and so managed to loose all that connection, feel and responsiveness you get from driving a simple old car?...

Comments

what you described about the focus is what most folks want, its a family car not a go kart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Refinement: 1
    :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

RoverJames wrote: »
    what you described about the focus is what most folks want, its a family car not a go kart
    +1

I like the effortlessness off a new car compared to my Punto, in a word, it's bliss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Because they are more refined
    Simple

Maybe you should have test drove an Audi TT ... You might have felt more at home.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd say your Pumas suspension is shot.

The Focus is probably the sharpest handling car in it's class. Zetec, Titanium, ST, and RS models particularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

^Haven't driven the performance Focuses (ST and RS) so can't say what they're like, I'm sure they're alot more sharper and have more feel than a standard Focus.

And my Puma's suspension is probably gone. But you do feel very connected to the car while driving it, which is why I enjoy driving it so much. Its an absolute blast on country roads! Its very sharp and responsive. Even being a 11yr old car. And so I was wondering why don't they build simple cheap cars like that nowdays which feel more connected and responsive... Like there are hot hatches which handle and feel great but they're expensive and have big engines. I'm talking about something with a small engine but still very fun. Like the original Mini... The Renault Sport Twingo Cup is the only one that comes to my mind for being small, simple, sharp and cheap. And you can't get that in Ireland.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Why have they gone all soft and "comfortable" and so managed to loose all that connection, feel and responsiveness you get from driving a simple old car?...

Because thats the market. Not everyone wants to drive a "drivers" car, they just want something to get from A-B with comfort and safety.

Advertisement