Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fab Day / Weekend / Spraoi / City Vibe!

• 03-07-2010 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

What a brilliant day we had in Waterford City today! Went to the Spraoi in the Park and also walked around the city and came across street dancing and they were brilliant!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Eh, did you mistake this forum for your personal blog or twitter/facebook account?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Ah Sully, is the positivity driving ya mad?!? :p:D

I agree!! How long has it been since we could say the city looked really well and that there was a great buzz about the place. I had relatives visiting this weekend and I was delighted to see so much going on and so many places to bring them. Things were lively, plenty to do, and and they are having a ball.
    Long may it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

Delete the post then!

Was only saying that there was generally a good buzz around the city...

Sully wrote: »
    Eh, did you mistake this forum for your personal blog or twitter/facebook account?! :D

Don't do twitter.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Don't do twitter.

Okay, Facebook so. :D

I'm only having a bit of banter. It was a blog style post, but I know you meant to create a discussion so thought id attempt to bring some humour and break free from the constant "Where is X" type posts. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Dooleys chipper down by the park now! Complete win!

Its probably been there for months though :o

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Okay, Facebook so. :D

I'm only having a bit of banter. It was a blog style post, but I know you meant to create a discussion so thought id attempt to bring some humour and break free from the constant "Where is X" type posts. :)

Eh yeah :p

That is also on my FB :D

Thought that I would do some boasting and bring my Corconians to Waterford:P

dazftw wrote: »
    Dooleys chipper down by the park now! Complete win!

Its probably been there for months though :o

Nope, spotted it the other day and thought that it was new alright myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Nope, spotted it the other day and thought that it was new alright myself!

Best chicken fillet burgers ever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Will try it so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Love misterious and shys exuberance!:D

i agree 100%. Theres def a good feel around the place lately. Of course the weather is big factor.

I just wish we had some PR guru to promote Waterford Big Time and persistantly. We Never get any publicity!

Take Spraoi for instance. Not a peep on papers or national TV or radio on the usual "Whats on" sections. Yet theres a few idiots singing Bob Dylan songs in some village in Donegal and I'm hearing about it the whole weekend on all the radios.

LETS SELL WATERFORD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Do t think anyone would buy tbh. We're in negative equity.

Godsentme wrote: »
    Love misterious and shys exuberance!:D

i agree 100%. Theres def a good feel around the place lately. Of course the weather is big factor.

I just wish we had some PR guru to promote Waterford Big Time and persistantly. We Never get any publicity!

Take Spraoi for instance. Not a peep on papers or national TV or radio on the usual "Whats on" sections. Yet theres a few idiots singing Bob Dylan songs in some village in Donegal and I'm hearing about it the whole weekend on all the radios.

LETS SELL WATERFORD!

Why thank you :p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

My husband and one of my son's are just back from the parade and both said it was by far the best parade that they've ever seen in Waterford, far superior to any of the St. Patrick's Day or August Bank Holiday Spraoi parades to date.

Also said the new route plus earlier time is much better as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Do t think anyone would buy tbh. We're in negative equity.

ATBB my good man, this is exactly the attitude that has us in negative equity!!!

Look at Deisemums post above. It couldn't get any better for her today!

My point is if people only knew!! And it was FREE!:D

But did anybody hear or see any advertising about it Nationally?

If this was in Cork or kilkenny it would be all over the media.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

deisemum wrote: »
    My husband and one of my son's are just back from the parade and both said it was by far the best parade that they've ever seen in Waterford, far superior to any of the St. Patrick's Day or August Bank Holiday Spraoi parades to date.

Also said the new route plus earlier time is much better as well.

Totally agree, my little lad was enthralled. Well done to all concerned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

This Buster Keaton silent movie and the accomanying music by 4 lads from Waterford was simply outstanding. First off the film is a classic with some great acting by Buster, but what really made it was the music provided by the lads. Outstanding, i cant say enough about it, mixing old style violin play with modern electronica to match the intensity of what was going on, on the screen. €5 for some of the best entertainment i have got in years.

These 4 lads deserve massive kudos and were worth their standing ovation (which they recieved) numerous times over.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

In the process of uploading todays parade to youtube, will post a link in a while.

Video files added, Quality is only alright, taken with iphone and highly compressed for youtube

Part 1

Part 2

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭curly.bert

Dude - thanks for the glowing review! We're hopefully going to show/perform "The General" again for the August Bank Holiday weekend. Really glad you enjoyed it and muchos gracias for the kind words.

Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭MickClince12118

apart from the spraoi events, i noticed that it was a great night fr pubs tonight. There were two good bands on, one in twister vicks whom i was very impressed with and san fran fiasco in rubys lounge. So it was a much more enjoyable night than usual and made a nice change to see people drawn to the bands on offer.

• Advertisement

Excellent videos Aquos!

Chaps, ill put this into the other thread thats went from a blog post to a Sproai/great vibe about Waterford post. :)

Completely forgot about Spraoi until it was fairly late. Glad it went well though, but shame its not advertised/promoted better across Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Max Powers wrote: »
    This Buster Keaton silent movie and the accomanying music by 4 lads from Waterford was simply outstanding. First off the film is a classic with some great acting by Buster, but what really made it was the music provided by the lads. Outstanding, i cant say enough about it, mixing old style violin play with modern electronica to match the intensity of what was going on, on the screen. €5 for some of the best entertainment i have got in years.

These 4 lads deserve massive kudos and were worth their standing ovation (which they recieved) numerous times over.

Saw it myself and I couldn't agree more! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

curly.bert wrote: »
    Dude - thanks for the glowing review! We're hopefully going to show/perform "The General" again for the August Bank Holiday weekend. Really glad you enjoyed it and muchos gracias for the kind words.

Rob

Take a bow, Rob - really excellent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Was in there yesterday and really enjoyed it. The quality of the stuff in the parade has definitely gone up. I can see how the earlier time suits families better but I'll always feel it was better as the finale of the bank holiday weekend in August. I think the darkness and that lended something to it.

There was a great vibe around the place though. The sun helped a lot, no doubt, but the park makes a great venue. I thought it was really well-organised and enjoyable for all so congratulations to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

best parade in years and the sun stayed out :cool:
    well done spraoi............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

much fun was had at the Untz gathering on sat night :D

The city center is definitely picking up. I guess the weather helps, but today was busy with a good buzz around the place. The outdoor seating from Brunch is perfect - just what the city center needs. Would be great to get a bit more of those. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Chaps, ill put this into the other thread thats went from a blog post to a Sproai/great vibe about Waterford post. :)

Completely forgot about Spraoi until it was fairly late. Glad it went well though, but shame its not advertised/promoted better across Ireland.

Agreed, but this is only the second year that we've had the spraoi split into the "park" weekend with the parade (goes from strength to strength IMHO, two brilliant days following on from the Dunmore festival) and the traditional August bank holiday. I didn't see anything about the park weekend in any paper, but the bank holiday festival was in the "staycation" feature in the Independent today and I remember seeing it advertised in the Times last year.

Incidentally there has been a full-page ad in the Aer Lingus inflight magazine for the new Crystal Centre for the last two months.

SSE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Spraoi in the Park got a bit of national press coverage anyway:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2010/0705/1224274032614.html

Advertisement