Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong DNS name showing on router

Options
  • 03-07-2010 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a nightmare of a router THOMSON TG585 v7 which is displaying the wrong DNS name for my computer, I have a static IP (internal) which the router is showing it belongs to another device on the network (which is not connected).

I am trying to port forward but I believe the name is screwing things up.

My comp name is X but the router is picking it up as Y, anyone any ideas?? Its doing my nut in...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

The simpest thing to do would probably just be to change the static IP of your PC (preferrably to an IP that's outside the range of what the router hands out to device using DHCP). That way there'll never be any conflict where 2 devices could end up on the same IP.

I doubt though that this is what's causing any problem with port forwarding, especially if you're sure that the other device is not connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

is there anyway you can delete the router's DHCP cache? I know on netopias this si possible,m as it is on ciscos...through command line interface. Alternatively, you could just do a reset all settings on the thompson...

another option woul dbe to define an IP address for your PC's MAC address in the Thompson, and let it DHCP that address out to your PC

Advertisement