Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clara Lara

Options
  • 03-07-2010 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

I hope I'm not imagining this, or I'm in serious trouble...I'm not even sure if that is how you spell it...but when I was in Primary School I remember two separate trips organised to this place. It was in Wexford I believe and we had to rent a single decker, old green style Dublin bus, to get to the park. It was basically a huge swimming area (although you were always advised to wear shoes in the water) and there were loads of area's to climb and play.

I know that the school brought it's pupils there at the end of the year on a May or June Summer day and we'd have a bit of fun.

I think, and again this is just an assumption, that it was shut down a few years later because a patron was seriously injured or even killed there?

Does anyone remember the place I'm talking about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Wasnt that place closed down coz it was riddled with nonces?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

I had many a good summer there :)

They took the ship away though IIRC. And the water was always filthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Oh i used to love that place as a kid!!!:D
    Yep, from what i remember it closed cos someone broke their neck on one of the things-can't remember if they died or not.
    It's back open again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

It was closed because the proprietor was "a nonce"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Rojo25

Still there and still great craic for kids, its in Wicklow near Roundwood and Blessington in the village of Clara

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Only thing I remember about the place was that all the rides were made of tree trunks and it is one of the few places on the planet I would have liked to see a match put to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Elessar wrote: »
    the water was always filthy.

Not as filthy as the nonce who ran the place:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I used to love it there.:D
    I went there about 3 times on school tours and 4 times with the family.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

AHh I was there when I was like 4! never could remember where it was or called. Remember running and tripping in the gravel and ****ing up my leg. Ahh good times lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Always wanted to go there, still havnt managed that trip yet haha! i remember going to Fort Lucan a fair few times with the school!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I never went because i never learned to swim.

Who'd have known my lack of swimming skills would save me from a potential buggering?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Was always a great laugh going there, 2 school trips to there I think, maybe 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Is it not back open now?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Always wanted to go there, still havnt managed that trip yet haha! i remember going to Fort Lucan a fair few times with the school!

Fort Lucan, every summer. Loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Went there when I was 12, it was shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Daisies wrote: »
    Fort Lucan, every summer. Loved it.

+1 loved that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

http://www.rte.ie/news/2003/1202/morphew.html

I think it was closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

seanbmc wrote: »
    +1 loved that place.

Drive by it most days. The 6-14 year old inside of me pleads with me to turn in to it :P:o

'Had' to go to it last year for my cousins birthday.. torture it was... yeah... torture...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Plenty of good crack was had there

<.<.

.>.>

(O-O) binoculars

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

To think about the amount of kids who went there,when that thing was crawling around there.
    I am personally happy i never paid to go there and lined his pervert pockets :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

Sorry for going slightly off topic but I remember hearing a story where someone ledged a knife in a slide in some Irish waterpark before and it slit someone open.

Nearly sure it was a teacher who told me, anyone ever hear anything like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Misticles wrote: »
    Is it not back open now?

Passed it a while back big sign saying "Open under new management"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Judging by their website design, I'd say it was last open around 1997...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭.SONIC.

ah good memorys!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Ah I remember Clara Lara!! Went there in primary school.

T'was great being a pirate for the day, stealing peoples boats and whatnot.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I remember that slide where you had to carry the boat/sled/carryer thingy all the way to the top of it - it was quite exhausting :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

wasn't there something crappier but similar in wicklow also?, Annamoe i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Ah I remember Clara Lara!! Went there in primary school.

T'was great being a pirate for the day, stealing peoples boats and whatnot.

Boat Wars were great fun! We used to sneak up on boats, hide under the 3 feet of murky water, then topple it from beneath.

Clara Lara, Mosney, they were all great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

wasn't there something crappier but similar in wicklow also?, Annamoe i think

That's for fishing, think it's still open.

Advertisement