Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Port and Ships

Options
  • 03-07-2010 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Anyone know whether ships can enter Dublin port at any time or are they subject to the tides?
    Any more that you can tell on this subject would be welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Maybe Commuting and Transport would know?.

HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I'm sure someone here knows the ACTUAL answer, but I imagine anything the other side of the East Link is OK any time, and anything the city side is somewhat more tidal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Could be a good idea to contact shippingdesk (at) dublinport.ie and/or check for info on this page http://www.dublinport.ie/information-centre/notice-to-mariners/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Unlike road transport, ships come in all shapes and sizes. The constraints for Dublin Port would include the length and depth (draft) of any ship. The tide doesn't normally have an effect as the ship will be tied up during low tide anyway so it must not exceed the depth at the berth.

IF you're interested in what ships are in Dublin Port have a look here
    http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The ferries (Stena, Irish ferries, Norse, Steampacket, P&O etc) all run to a schedule that does not change regardless of tides. They are certainly not restricted. Given that you're pretty unlikely to see a bigger ship than Adventurer^ or Ulysses* in the port I would go with there being no tidal restrictions except possibly for large sailing ships.

* biggest ferry in the world, until the new Stena duo are completed in 2011 iirc
    ^ longer than above but less volume & mass

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

* biggest ferry in the world, until the new Stena duo are completed in 2011 iirc

Unfortunately that was short lived Irish Ferries hype. Shortly afterwards P&O came out with a bigger ferry Pride of Rotterdam. Bigger in traditional terms (i.e. physically), but Ulysses was the biggest capacity ferry in the world for quite a while.

Advertisement