Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skerries 100 rider dies. Spectator injured.

• 03-07-2010 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭

Terrible end to a great day. Great weather, last race, second lap I think.

Information was scarce when we were there.

Thought it was going to be a fatality/ injury free day.

Hope the spectator recovers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/8786059.stm

I won't type his name for obvious reasons.

R.I.P

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I was there with my girlfriend and daughter and heard and saw it happen.

Nasty and freakish accident involving 2 bikes.It happened on the run down off the hill on the start/finish line to the 1st corner.Bikes would have been traveling at quite a speed,100mph,when braking hard,if not more.

People were totally stunned and shocked when it happened.

I know who the rider fatally injured is but will not name names of the riders involved.

RIP and thoughts and prayers with the people and families of all involved on a sad day.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Sad news.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

All way scares the sh1t out me when I hear things like this

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭traco

Tragic

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

paddy147 wrote: »
    I was there with my girlfriend and daughter and heard and saw it happen.

Nasty and freakish accident involving 2 bikes.It happened on the run down off the hill on the start/finish line to the 1st corner.Bikes would have been traveling at quite a speed,100mph,when braking hard,if not more.

People were totally stunned and shocked when it happened.

I know who the rider fatally injured is but will not name names of the riders involved.

RIP and thoughts and prayers with the people and families of all involved on a sad day.:(

I honestly can not see the reason why some people feel the need to post images from a fatal crash scene.
    You say you know the rider, can I ask why you posted the image of the crash scene then?
    Is that not a lack of respect??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 germin

I lost my Father in a racing accident at the Skerries 100, many years ago. It saddens me deeply that the participants of this courageous sport are only passing heroes in this world. My heart go's out to the family and friends left behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Terrible end to a great days racing. I was at the other side of the circuit when it happened. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

R.I.P.
    V. Sad news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Bang Bang wrote: »
    You say you know the rider, can I ask why you posted the image of the crash scene then?

That would have been my thoughts also.

Hate hearing this kind of news.

RIP.

That would have been my thoughts also.

Hate hearing this kind of news.

RIP.

• Advertisement

I honestly can not see the reason why some people feel the need to post images from a fatal crash scene.

Its from a distance and it doesnt show anything.
    The pic was also taken after the riders/people involved were taken to hospital.
    There were at least 4 Red Cross Ambulances there on standby at the scene incase there were any other casualties that were not known about at the time,people needing treatment for shock etc etc.).

There were actuall professional camera men taking close up photos with large telescopic lens as the riders were being treated on the roadside and then when being removed by Ambulance .

Loads of people were also right on top of the accident scene taking the pics the very second that crash happened.I decided to refrain from doing that.

There were at least 4 Red Cross Ambulabces there on standby at the scene incase there were any other casualties).

There were actuall professional camera men taking close up photos with large telescopic lens.

Loads of people were also right on top of the accident scene taking the pics the very second that crash happened.I decided to refrain from doing that.

Your information is incorrect.

Regarding others taking photos, it's you who chose to publish them, in a disrespectful manner (in my opinion).

There were at least 4 Red Cross Ambulabces there on standby at the scene incase there were any other casualties).

There were actuall professional camera men taking close up photos with large telescopic lens.

I can't speak for 'Bang Bang', but speaking for myself I'd had held off posting up the photos.

But listen, its not to time to argue as I'm sure you mean't no disrespect to anyone.

Your information is incorrect.

Regarding others taking photos, it's you who chose to publish them, in a disrespectful manner (in my opinion).

bangbang,theres nothing to see in any of the pics.

But listen, its not to time to argue as I'm sure you mean't no disrespect to anyone.

No I didnt post anything to dissrespect anyone or offend anyone.

I took the pic quite some time after the accident happened and all involved had been removed to hospital.It was a general shot of the area and run down to the 1st corner,thats all.There were at least 4 Red Cross ambulances still there on standby incase anyone was needing attention for shock.

I,ll leave it at that.

I didnt post anything to dissrespect anyone or offend anyone.

I took the pic quite some time after the accvident happened and all involved had been removed to hospital.It was a general shot of the area and run down to the 1st corner,thats all.

'Bang bang' only asked was it not a bit disrepectful posting up the photos of the crash scene.

You've explained yourself very well, I don't think I'd have rushed to posting the photos but then I wasn't at the scene & so can only accept your explaination.

Given the circumstances I'm not going to fall out with anyone over it.

Thankfully I wasn't there to witness it.

Hope your ok youself?.

'Bang bang' only asked was it not a bit disrepectful posting up the photos of the crash scene.

You've explained yourself very well, I don't think I'd have rushed to posting the photos but then I wasn't at the scene & so can only accept your explaination.

Given the circumstances I'm not going to fall out with anyone over it.

Thankfully I wasn't there to witness it.

Hope your ok youself?.

Im not wishing to or going to fall out with anyone either.

Thanks and regards.

Im not wishing to or going to fall out with anyone either.

Thanks and regards.

Same here paddy147.

But I can confirm your information is incorrect and innacurate.

Let us leave it at this and let the rider whom some of us know so well rest in peace.

To keep bangbang happy,the pic has been removed,even though it showed nothing of offense.

Regards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

RIP to the rider, an experienced and well respected rider in the paddock and in the realroadracing family. Thoughts are for his family and friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

The picture only show's the area where it happened, there is nothing graphic in it.
    My prayers for him and his family.R.I.P.

To keep bangbang happy,the pic has been removed,even though it showed nothing of offense.

Regards.

The photo you posted was taken prior to the arrival of two Garda cars.
    This proves that not everyone involved had been removed from the scene of this tragic accident (read between the lines).
    That's were the photo can be found to be offensive.
    So it's not about keeping me happy paddy147, it's about not offending close friends and family of the deceased rider who know the full details of the accident and who may see the published photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They've named him in the Sunday World. Don't see how family and friends could have been informed before it went to press. Another reason never to read it. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JAMIED10

very very sad news was only talking to him about 45 minutes before he went out on the track
    r.i.p man
    may you ride free above us

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I heard about the crash but only just found out now who it was. The chap was in the office doing some work for us last week for a few days and I was chatting to him about his racing etc.. lovely guy, good craic and really down to earth.

I'm completely in shock here.. :(

RIP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Anyone else hear the cvnts on Joe Duffy crying for road racing to be banned?

Wish they'd all fúck off and die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

Im surprised its still going really, it being so dangerous. Not that surprising that people want it stopped if lads keep getting killed each year. Is there many other officially organised sports in the first world with the same number of fatalities? Most of the time I suppose the only person at risk is the rider and he accepts that risk. Since he can only do himself harm it should be his choice. The worst part is children losing their father and the wife losing her husband. How can you justify the risks of road racing if you have young children?

Its very sad for his family. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Im surprised its still going really, it being so dangerous. Not that surprising that people want it stopped if lads keep getting killed each year. Is there many other officially organised sports in the first world with the same number of fatalities? Most of the time I suppose the only person at risk is the rider and he accepts that risk. Since he can only do himself harm it should be his choice. The worst part is children losing their father and the wife losing her husband. How can you justify the risks of road racing if you have young children?

I don't know, but are you a motorcyclist ? I'm inclined to think you're not, but I stand to be corrected on that.....

With regard to your specific question, the answer is yes : http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth/Risk/sports.html

In my own experience, Equestrian is particuarly dangerous.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

You could say the same every time you go out your front door and get into your car or get on your bike! Risks are no where near the same but accidents do happen and people do die on our roads each year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I am saddened to hear what happened at Skerries on Saturday, my thoughts and prayers are with the deceased rider, his family and the injured spectator.

I myself was involved in an accident in Skerries back in the 1980's when acting as a Flag Marshall, a rider lost control and his bike hit me. The rider involved was very badly injured and the accident drastically altered his life as a result of his injuries. I wasn't to badly hurt however, a few cuts and stitches. However if I had been standing where the Chief Marshall had instructed me to stand I know that I would not be writing this post.

Since then I have not gone to a Road Race as I consider them excessively dangerous. It is not the rider getting killed or badly injured that will eventually get road racing stopped. It will be as a result of spectators been killed and injured that will eventually stop local authorities from granting road closure orders to organising clubs.

Advertisement