Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skerries 100 rider dies. Spectator injured.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Im surprised its still going really, it being so dangerous. Not that surprising that people want it stopped if lads keep getting killed each year. Is there many other officially organised sports in the first world with the same number of fatalities? Most of the time I suppose the only person at risk is the rider and he accepts that risk. Since he can only do himself harm it should be his choice. The worst part is children losing their father and the wife losing her husband. How can you justify the risks of road racing if you have young children?

Its very sad for his family. RIP

There are a lot more deaths in this country in equestrian sports than motorsports.
    A number of participants in field sports die each year as a result of heads clashing in close contact sports.
    The list goes on.
    Should we ban all those sports too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

Pat - I'm sorry that you were involved in an incident at the Skerries. I've missed just one Skerries since 1980 and have followed the 'roads' since.
    Could I just say that crowd safety issues have vastly improved over the years and the Travelling Medical Paramedics and Marshals in my opinion rank at the highest level of experience throughout the World of all Motorsport. Everyone is extremly saddened eachtime someone is injured or loses their life.

Nod - biker and member of the 2 Stroke Racing Supporters Club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

My point of view is that the sport will continue no matter what the rider fatalities are. However the Local Authiorities will stop granting road closure orders when there is an incident involving multiple spectator injuries / fatalities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

from the loughshinny site home page

http://www.loughshinnymotorcycleclub.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

galwaytt wrote: »
    I don't know, but are you a motorcyclist ? I'm inclined to think you're not, but I stand to be corrected on that.....

With regard to your specific question, the answer is yes : http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth/Risk/sports.html

In my own experience, Equestrian is particuarly dangerous.

I am a motorcyclist but what has that got to do with it? I enjoy watching roadracing but I can still try to be impartial about it.

Road racing isn't on that list and if you compare the amount of participation is both sports and compare fatalities I'd guess road racing would be worse but I don't follow horse riding sports and therefore wouldn't hear about the related accidents. All events have a risk but how great a risk is acceptable or not is the question?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Bang Bang wrote: »
    There are a lot more deaths in this country in equestrian sports than motorsports.
    A number of participants in field sports die each year as a result of heads clashing in close contact sports.
    The list goes on.
    Should we ban all those sports too?

I actually fully agree with what you are saying,as I am having this exact same arguement with someone else on another forum.

Theres was a sad and unfortunate death of a co driver in the Donegal International Rally back there a few weekends ago.

I dont hear people ringing up and in newspapers calling for rallying to be banned in Ireland as a result of that tragic death.

Any time there is a bad accident or sadly a fatality that involves road racing,all we get is ban it ban it ban it.

Maybe then we should ban all forms of motorsports that use public roads,so that would mean rallying,hill climbs,rally sprints,bike road racing etc.

I DONT THINK SO.

I actually spoke to a doctor up in Beaumont hospital this morning about the Skerries 100.I was up in the fracture clinic having a review on an old injury of mine.

I listened to him rabbiting on and on to the secretary about how bad and dangerous road racing was,and that anyone who did it was off their heads and that must want to die if they do this.

He had read in the paper that the rider was tragicly killed up in Skerries last weekend,so of course he knows it all,as he has read it in a paper and that he is also a doctor.So hes an expert and knows it all then,or so he thinks.

Little did he know that I heard every word of what he said,so I approached him and asked him a few questions about what he knew about road racing.

He tried to claim this that and the other and say that road racing was not organised propperly,that there was telephone poles and kerbs in the way.

I said to him....well thats why its called ROAD RACING,as its on a public road,and that every safety precaution is taken and the organisers do safety auditrs and reports and also do as much as they can do to make it safe and fun for all involved.

I also asked him to rethink his comments about calling road racers off their heads and that they must want to die.

He asked me what would I know about racing.

My reply was "well doctor,Im a very enthusiastic road race supporter,I go to most road races with my girlfriend,I ride a Duacti 996 and have ben an experienced biker for the last 16 years,Ive met many a road racer and had the privilage to meet and chat to many great legends and greats and also help out at Skerries several years back.

So then doctor,what do you know about Irish Road Racing or the Skerries 100,please tell me????

Al I got was an excuse that he had to make a call as his beeper was going off,when it didnt even make a sound,and he quickly made his escape into a consultation room.

He knew NOTHING.

What a complete and utter ignorant,stupid dumb TW^T.

Advertisement