Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

an interesting short novel

Options
  • 03-07-2010 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hello all! I am interested to read an easy reading, not too long novel. I don't really mind the topic. I would like some love story. If you know something interesting for me (for female) please let me know. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

Well it's not romance but John Steinbacks 'Of Mice and Men' is a short easy read, great story and I guarantee you that you will be teary eyed at the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭sxt

1984,The Road
    not much romance in these two though.

Edit: Ah here is a short novel called "love story"...144 pages :)

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Story-Erich-Segal/dp/0553275283

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote was the first book that came to mind when I read your request. Haven't actually read it yet, but I've heard it's good. On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan is a pretty good read too, although quite overrated in my opinion (and it's a tragic love story, so may not be what you're looking for!)

As others have said before, The Road by Cormac McCarthy is really excellent, although not a love story. Very sad and thought-provoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Talking it Over - Julian Barnes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Tender is the Night by F.Scott Fitzgerald would probably be your thing OP. I didn't think that much of it, but then again I'm a soul-less sort of man. Basically the plot revolves around a pyschiatrist and his schizophrenic wife, their marital difficulties, and a high class 1920s romp around Europe with a group of wealthy Americans. Its a decent book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Denerick wrote: »
    Tender is the Night by F.Scott Fitzgerald would probably be your thing OP. I didn't think that much of it, but then again I'm a soul-less sort of man. Basically the plot revolves around a pyschiatrist and his schizophrenic wife, their marital difficulties, and a high class 1920s romp around Europe with a group of wealthy Americans. Its a decent book.

It's an amazing book. One of my favourites but I don't think it's an easy read, there's a lot of stuff in it.

I'd recommend Butterfield 8 by John O'Hara, an unconventional love story (of sorts)...

My g/f loved, really loved, the Bridges of Madison County. I thought it was utter trash but it's easy reading. Usually my g/f has great tastes in books so maybe it's one for women only?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Have a look at Bel Canto.

I think it's a book that ticks all your boxes (unlike several of the above suggestions :p).
    Really enjoyed it when I read it years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

My g/f loved, really loved, the Bridges of Madison County. I thought it was utter trash but it's easy reading. Usually my g/f has great tastes in books so maybe it's one for women only?

Not so. I read it and loved it too and I'm not a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Picnic at hanging rock by Joan Lindsay. Arguably one of the greatest short novels ever written, but very, very hard to come across. My drama teacher gave it to me as a goodbye gift last June and I've never seen it in bookstores. It was published in 1967 and didn't establish enough of a cult following to ensure it would be re-printed, but if you want more details, just ask.

Not so. I read it and loved it too and I'm not a woman.

Really, I mean, I'm sure you're sure, but maybe you're one of those rare guys with XX chromosomes, like the lead singer of Hanson?

Anyhow, Picnic at Hanging Rock is newly available in the Penguin Classic series. Must pick it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

A Life's Music by Andrei Makine is only about 80 pages long, but I remember it seeming to cram what would usually be a Russian epic into a novella.

Really, I mean, I'm sure you're sure, but maybe you're one of those rare guys with XX chromosomes, like the lead singer of Hanson?

No, normal chromosones. Does the fact that you didn't like it mean that there must be something wrong/different with other people that did like it? This seems to be your point here. People with your attitude disgust me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

No, normal chromosones. Does the fact that you didn't like it mean that there must be something wrong/different with other people that did like it? This seems to be your point here. People with your attitude disgust me.

I know people into reading tend to be quite sensitive, but this was a little over the top don't you think?

Denerick wrote: »
    I know people into reading tend to be quite sensitive, but this was a little over the top don't you think?

No. People with that attitude really do disgust me.

Good grief, it was a joke, the guy from Hanson doesn't have XX chromosomes either.

Anyhow, back on topic, Lady Chatterly's Lover is a short enough read, think it's aged quite badly though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

On Chesil Beach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Promoteland

thank u guys so much! I will have a look into all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Ok, now that you have all your lovey-dovey ones, read Fahrenheit 451. Beautiful little novella.

Picnic at hanging rock by Joan Lindsay. Arguably one of the greatest short novels ever written, but very, very hard to come across. My drama teacher gave it to me as a goodbye gift last June and I've never seen it in bookstores. It was published in 1967 and didn't establish enough of a cult following to ensure it would be re-printed, but if you want more details, just ask.

Just finished reading it, thanks for the recommendation. Very interesting book, have to remind yourself it's not true, it's not true at times during it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

I would recommend Animal Farm, The Old Man and the Sea and Slaughterhouse 5.
    Heart of Darkness is short but you'd probably read the phone book quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Promoteland

Well it's not romance but John Steinbacks 'Of Mice and Men' is a short easy read, great story and I guarantee you that you will be teary eyed at the end :)

I am reading this book at the moment- find it boring. But thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Just finished reading it, thanks for the recommendation. Very interesting book, have to remind yourself it's not true, it's not true at times during it.
    Thanks for reminding me of that book, Picnic at Hanging Rock, I must read it again. I loved the film too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

Currently reading 'South of the Border West of the Sun' by Haruki Murakami - From Amazon -Hajime meets and falls in love with a girl in elementary school, but he loses touch with her when his family moves to another town. He drifts through high school, college, and his 20s, before marrying and settling into a career as a successful bar owner. Then his childhood sweetheart returns, weighed down with secrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

+1 on the Murakami recommendation.. Another one you might like of his is "Norwegian Wood"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Nureyev

'Dream Story' by Arthur Schnitzler is a quick and fascinating little read. Forms the basis for the enigmatic Kubrick film Eyes Wide Shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bp1989

"All My Friends Are Superheroes" - Andrew Kaufman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

peace by richard bausch
    dont be put off by the war theme, its much more than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Tom Fiat

yeah thats a good suggestion
    short but captivating alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Blood Music by Greg Bear - SF but there's a little bit of a romance element ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

No worries, glad to be able to spread the word around.

Advertisement