Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

disposing of desktop pc

• 03-07-2010 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi All
    not sure if this is correct thread sorry if its not.
    my desktop pc has being having trouble turning on and off by itself

so unplugged and havent used in a while
    tried it today and it turned on but displayed nothing monotor works on laptop
    so it works out that its hard drive thats busted
    so ive decided to get rid of it
    can you tell me what parts to take out before disposing off
    i have harddrive removed
    do i need to take out memory also ?

thanks
    ste

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

The best way of telling if it's just the hard drive that's gone is to boot it with a live cd eg. linux. See if that seems to work.

If it does, then maybe reformat the hard disk if you can.

If you've decided to strip it for parts, the usual things are memory, hard drives, CD/DVD drives, any cards eg. graphics or sound cards.

If the power supply is decent, say 500 watts or more, maybe that too.
    Depends how much clutter you want afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭stedeb

hi creeping death
    thanks for info but im getting rid of it so i just want to take out the parts that stores any data i had on it private details

and either put it on adverts or to recycle centre
    i dont want to have parts left lying around
    thanks
    stephen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭James G

stedeb wrote: »
    hi creeping death
    thanks for info but im getting rid of it so i just want to take out the parts that stores any data i had on it private details

and either put it on adverts or to recycle centre
    i dont want to have parts left lying around
    thanks
    stephen
    All you need to take out is the hard drive. If you choose to recycle it, you might want to take the optical drives. Anything else probably won't be worth it if it's an old desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭stedeb

thanks james
    pc is about 5 year old so i have harddrive out

thanks for the info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

If you're from Dublin there's a place in Thomas Street that recycles PC's for use in the Third World.

http://camara.ie/web/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

oisin wrote: »
    If you're from Dublin there's a place in Thomas Street that recycles PC's for use in the Third World.

http://camara.ie/web/

Although there's now a €20 drop off charge, while the likes of the council recycling centres eg. Ballymount will take them for free.

Advertisement