Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Urban myth] Attempted Abduction in Dunnes Newbridge today.

Options
  • 03-07-2010 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I heard (from an unreliable source) that there was an attempted abduction in Dunnes Stores Newbridge this morning. A romanina couple caught with a toddler in the toilets. they were changin the childs clothes into there own attire. Apparently it was on KFM! - just wondering if there is any truth to this.

Rgs

Lisa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

There have been so many of these type of child abduction stories lately. I almost swear to have heard one in every estate in both Dublin and Kildare at this point. It varies from being a red car, to a red van, to a white van and it is always someone told a friend of a friend of a friend. Somewhere in among all the stories there are legitimate ones but the amount of recent stories are creating hysteria.

If a couple were interested in taking a child, surely they would have taken the child out of the shop before changing clothes instead of hanging around doing something obviously suspicious to be caught red handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

LisaG wrote: »
    I heard (from an unreliable source) that there was an attempted abduction in Dunnes Stores Newbridge this morning. A romanina couple caught with a toddler in the toilets. they were changin the childs clothes into there own attire. Apparently it was on KFM! - just wondering if there is any truth to this.

Rgs

Lisa

Did you hear and see it for yourself? It is quite amazing how these rumours spread, if it is a rumour and lets just hope it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Hopefully its not true

I'm sceptical though. I heard the exact same story about a year ago except the incident happened in Dundrum Shopping Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'm thinking we're going to need a Kildare version of snopes.com soon.

Considering KFM's leading headline is "Kilcullen Residents Want Play Group", I think we can probably say this "apparent" incident is as likely to be yet another rumour. Unless there is a verifiable source to quote, it's probably not to spread these stories on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 spud4u

I can confirm that there was indeed an attempted abduction in Dunnes in Newbridge yesterday. My cousins son was taken in Dunnes and after a brief search he was found in the toilets changed into different clothes by a Romanian couple. The guards were called and they arrested the couple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Why is this not on the news?

BuffyBot wrote: »
    I'm thinking we're going to need a Kildare version of snopes.com soon.

Considering KFM's leading headline is "Kilcullen Residents Want Play Group", I think we can probably say this "apparent" incident is as likely to be yet another rumour. Unless there is a verifiable source to quote, it's probably not to spread these stories on here.

See above...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Just in case anyone is concerned - this happened either today, yesterday, last saturday, 2 weeks ago, last month etc and the location was dunnes newbridge, dunnes letterkenny, dunnes limerick, dunnes tralee.

Basically it is total and utter bullsh1t. The same way the stories going arounmd last year about people being askeed to smell a liquid and then they faint and then they are robbed - total urban myth and not sceintifically possible.

How come these type of stories always appear in summer months?

A point of boards.ie etiquette: when a thread has been locked, it's generally frowned upon to open another on the same topic. Even if you're attempting to "correct" something in the locked thread. However, in this case, it can't hurt to hammer home the point.

I think we've established these rumours are nothing but urban myths. I sincerely hope that more people will realise it also. I've merged this into the existing thread so as when people start Googling and signing up in a moral panic, as people do in these scenarios, they'll read all the debunking in one place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement